Bruce Collier Story

renault8&10

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
In part, to celebrate 50yrs since Renault won the Australian Rally Championship with the all conquering R8 Gordini; and also because you asked for it, we have delivered. RCCA member and author Dr Andrew Moore sat down with 95yr old Bruce Collier for an in-depth interview with the man largely responsible for development of the R8 Gordini into the weapon it became. The result is an A5 18p booklet documenting the Bruce Collier story that RCCA has had produced. For a limited time, we can offer these to those interested for the same special member price of $20 including postage that we are offering RCCA members.

It is primarily Bruce’s life story and is not intended to be a comprehensive guide to prepping a works R8 Gordini but nonetheless we think those who know Bruce, or interested in the works cars will find some interesting tidbits and information in the booklet.

Details on how to order are contained in the second pic for those interested. We’re not taking orders via Aussiefrogs. Please use the contacts attached.

Regards
Kevin Byron
RCCA VP

Attachments

• 50995782-820A-4CD1-8C78-2A1A1C5D78C9.jpeg
    50995782-820A-4CD1-8C78-2A1A1C5D78C9.jpeg
    767.6 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
In part, to celebrate 50yrs since Renault won the Australian Rally Championship with the all conquering R8 Gordini; and also because you asked for it, we have delivered. RCCA member and author Dr Andrew Moore sat down with 95yr old Bruce Collier for an in-depth interview with the man largely responsible for development of the R8 Gordini into the weapon it became. The result is an A5 18p booklet documenting the Bruce Collier story that RCCA has had produced. For a limited time, we can offer these to those interested for the same special member price of $20 including postage that we are offering RCCA members.

It is primarily Bruce’s life story and is not intended to be a comprehensive guide to prepping a works R8 Gordini but nonetheless we think those who know Bruce, or interested in the works cars will find some interesting tidbits and information in the booklet.

Details on how to order are contained in the first pic for those interested. We’re not taking orders via Aussiefrogs. Please use the contacts attached.

Regards
Kevin Byron
RCCA VP
Order placed!!

Reactions: COL
I’ve replaced the picture which has the bank details so hopefully it will be clearer to read.

KB

I to have ordered a copy, looking forward to reading Bruce's life story. Was present at a live interview with Bruce, it was very entertaining with many laughs from from the audience.

I just ordered mine.
I remember years ago, 20 at least I was sitting down with Bruce at Jugiong having a one to one chat over a few drinks.
One of the most memorable nights I've ever had. The only thing I remember was thinking how I wish I could record it because I've got no chance remembering it in the morning.

Last edited:
I ordered last night poor editor must be getting flooded with emails.

I think the number ordered (from AF enquiries) is around 15 as of this morning. I believe the initial print run was 100.
Bob Sprague for those who know him is the one fulfilling the orders on these. Lucky he’s retired!

KB

I’m not sure. I thought there was an XU1 in the LC series before the LJ. 71/72 would equate to the LJ I would’ve thought.

I’m not sure. I thought there was an XU1 in the LC series before the LJ. 71/72 would equate to the LJ I would’ve thought.

I just got this off wikipedia so it must it must be right.

Changing tack in Australian motor sport, Holden released the LC Torana GTR XU-1 in 1970, with performance-enhanced drivetrain and handling. From this time through to the release of the Holden Commodore, the Torana remained Holden's most successful sports/performance vehicle, with many victories garnered in rallying and circuit racing.

Looks like the LC GTR was released in Oct 1969, with the XU1 in Aug 1970.

Just placed my order too!

I just got this off wikipedia so it must it must be right.

Changing tack in Australian motor sport, Holden released the LC Torana GTR XU-1 in 1970, with performance-enhanced drivetrain and handling. From this time through to the release of the Holden Commodore, the Torana remained Holden's most successful sports/performance vehicle, with many victories garnered in rallying and circuit racing.
The LC GTR-XU1 had the 186 (2850) engine and the LJ had the 202 (3300). Both models fitted with triple Stromberg Carburetors.

The LC GTR-XU1 had the 186 (2850) engine and the LJ had the 202 (3300). Both models fitted with triple Stromberg Carburetors.
173 = 2850cc
186 = 3048cc

The LC had 161 and 186 options. The LJ had 173 and 202 options.

Message from the Editor:

“Thanks for your tremendous response. We are down to <30 booklets left from the original 100 print run. We are endeavouring to post your books within 24hrs of the money hitting our account. We are aware Australia Post are experiencing delays in getting things to you (particularly the southern states, so please be patient). When this first print run is sold out, if we get orders beyond supply - we will start putting names down on a waiting list and will do a run when we have a reasonable number of orders. “

We’ve sold booklets to all states and territories of Oz except NT (c’mon NT what’s the problem?) and Bob is really happy with the response from AFers, so Thanks everyone. We hope you will enjoy your copy - I’ve read mine twice now! Kevin.

Great to hear. Who's the next one going to be about? :) Thanks to Bob et al. for the effort involved.

Maybe a slightly eccentric WA person who keeps driving backwards and forwards across the country in old Renault’s he’s owned for the best part of half a century?:unsure:

Might be worth documenting his travels over the decades. Perhaps the WA Alliance could take up the challenge. Perhaps share a journal with a well known ex South African engineer on his African continent journeys al la the carey’s “Kiss me, it’s very terrible” book.