Bruce Collier Story

Early LC Torana works rally cars were uprated GTRs then later in 1970 the actual XU1s were used.

Maybe a slightly eccentric WA person who keeps driving backwards and forwards across the country in old Renault’s he’s owned for the best part of half a century?:unsure:

Might be worth documenting his travels over the decades. Perhaps the WA Alliance could take up the challenge. Perhaps share a journal with a well known ex South African engineer on his African continent journeys al la the carey’s “Kiss me, it’s very terrible” book.
Well, 54 years for the 4CV and I've just finished the last project. It's only 47 years for the R8. Party-time in 2023!

My copy has just arrived too. Those Nullarbor camel trains......

Huge thanks to Andrew for the effort and Bob for sending them out. Bruce had a lot of faith in this new Renault, didn't he. We know NOW what they could do.

Reactions: COL
I was told this morning the RCCA only has three copies left .

So, if you were on the fence before now is the time to act.

We may do a smaller print run if there is enough interest. Once those three are gone, you can leave EOI with the editor on that same email address on page1. If we get say 10 “orders” we’ll print another 20.

I was told this morning the RCCA only has three copies left .

So, if you were on the fence before now is the time to act.

We may do a smaller print run if there is enough interest. Once those three are gone, you can leave EOI with the editor on that same email address on page1. If we get say 10 “orders” we’ll print another 20.
Does that mean that these books will soon appreciate in price?

Any way I certainly appreciated the time and effort that went into producing the Bruce Collier Story, was a great read.

Yes COL, it’s now worth $22.50!

We do have some copies stashed for a very limited qty that will be autographed by both Bruce and the author. No details on that yet. Bruce has signed them, and they are now with Andrew for his signature.

Reactions: COL
Hi all,

I’m pleased to say the club has now sold out of these booklets, so all we can promise is to take EOI’s for a possible small run reprint.

Alternatively, there is a very limited number of booklets signed by both Bruce and the author available here for $20 plus postage. This business is not connected to RCCA in any way but was an arrangement between them and the author.
https://www.automotobookshop.com.au/the-bruce-collier-story-andrew-moore/

I hope all who bought one found it entertaining and enlightening.

KB

The LC GTR-XU1 had the 186 (2850) engine and the LJ had the 202 (3300). Both models fitted with triple Stromberg Carburetors.
The LC had CD150 Strombergs and the LJ had CD175. LC engine number had a 186X prefix followed by the rest of the number. The’71 homologation or”Bathurst Special “ had a CK prefix
The LJ had a JP prefix followed by the 6 digit number. Mine was JP167400. The 72 homologation was a JP2…. 73 was JP3….. with the homologation being JP3&4 numbers
The block had a higher nickel component apparently.

How’s that book coming along JohnW?

it‘s 2023 after all!

How’s that book coming along JohnW?

it‘s 2023 after all!
Ha, pretty well actually and thanks for asking. What I haven't done is an extensive Renault section yet. Next matter, apart from tidying up and editing, is how to produce it. I might do a separate Renault volume, come to think of it.
We're having a 50th birthday ownership get together in May once we are home from the Muster. A "new" pretty original and rust free R8 1100 arrived in Perth this week, 33,000 genuine miles and full history. Just had a get together to introduce the two R8s...

The LC had CD150 Strombergs and the LJ had CD175. LC engine number had a 186X prefix followed by the rest of the number. The’71 homologation or”Bathurst Special “ had a CK prefix
The LJ had a JP prefix followed by the 6 digit number. Mine was JP167400. The 72 homologation was a JP2…. 73 was JP3….. with the homologation being JP3&4 numbers
The block had a higher nickel component apparently.
I realise this is an old post, but I recall reading somewhere that at least one of the top drivers ran twin 50mm, dual throat, sidedraught Webers, with one carby having one barrel blanked off. Apparently the rules stated the engine had to retain 3 carby throats, the same as the original XU1 was designed with, so this was a way around the rules while utilising a better design of carburettor. Can't recall the class of racing this was in however, whether it was touring cars or rallying?🤔

I didn't realise it was an old post, just sent off $20 to the account of RCCA with email to the editor, so probably a donation to the Club and I wish them well - $20 well spent. ;) Must have missed the original post in 2020!

Ken :)

Sorry Ken,

I’ve tried to go back in and edit the post to remove those details and make it obvious it is sold out but can’t seem to edit. Does anyone know how? If not, I’ll contact the admin.

in the meantime, I will contact the relevant committee members and see what I can do re your “donation”. I’ll contact you offline. Leave it with me for a few days.

Kevin

Sorry Ken,

I’ve tried to go back in and edit the post to remove those details and make it obvious it is sold out but can’t seem to edit. Does anyone know how? If not, I’ll contact the admin.

in the meantime, I will contact the relevant committee members and see what I can do re your “donation”. I’ll contact you offline. Leave it with me for a few days.

Kevin
No matter Kevin

My error and the amount is not substantial. It will probably boost the coffers and enable the club to do more for its members - happy to have it as a donation! We need to support our car clubs. (y)

I realise this is an old post, but I recall reading somewhere that at least one of the top drivers ran twin 50mm, dual throat, sidedraught Webers, with one carby having one barrel blanked off. Apparently the rules stated the engine had to retain 3 carby throats, the same as the original XU1 was designed with, so this was a way around the rules while utilising a better design of carburettor. Can't recall the class of racing this was in however, whether it was touring cars or rallying?🤔
I think this was start of '72, CAMS ATCC. When they went to Group C rules in '73 they used both barrels.

The carby settings you refer to was for 73 onwards. Production Touring Cars i think. Induction was changed from standard and open exhausts were allowed.
It was Brock who used the Webers with one throat closed off. They were apparently taken off a Cooper Climax. I don’t know why they were closed off as i have seen several 202’s with Webers or Dellortos etc.

The carby settings you refer to was for 73 onwards. Production Touring Cars i think. Induction was changed from standard and open exhausts were allowed.
It was Brock who used the Webers with one throat closed off. They were apparently taken off a Cooper Climax. I don’t know why they were closed off as i have seen several 202’s with Webers or Dellortos etc.
I'm guessing here, most likely has to do with the rules. I think the XU1 came out with triple SU or Stromberg carbies. The Weber DCOE have two throats so no doubt an adapter was made up from the standard manifold to Webers. So one Weber DCOE used both its throats and the other only one of the throats.