Best battery for DS23IE ?

So, the reason that very few(?) install the "correct battery" must be that battery catalogues have dropped off the D, and battery shops retailers believe that a battery of that size is overkill for a 4 cylinder petrol vehicle!

John

The Amaron catalogue actually shows the Citroen DS23 1973-75, which is what I've got and the battery code 95D26R that I bought for it, therefore it is the correct battery for the car with the right terminals. I find it just a little short in length , probably about 20mm.

I chose calcium -silver for its capacity to hold charge longer when not in use regularly.
The colour is a matter of taste I guess and I like fluoro green . When I was a teenager, DS's batteries were not all black. Some were yellow, some red , some blue. And that's how they came out of the factory. :wink2:

Last edited:
Personally I'm a big fan of silver-calcium. Bosch Silver in particular, I even used them for solar panel storage, as I am not really a big fan of deep-cycle. Again, personal.

Sure enough, as soon as I had to change the battery on the 21, I got me a 70 Ah Bosch Silver.
It wasn't very happy.
As soon as I changed the voltage regulator for a good one though, it was.

The reason can be found on the pertinent Wikipedia page:

"Silver calcium batteries generally require more charging voltage (14.4 to 14.8 V) and may not be functional in older vehicles because their power generating systems (alternators) give lower voltages than those of modern vehicles."

So basically, IMHO, if you have an old regulator, silver-calcium may not be a good idea, if you have a good one, go for them.

There must be AC Delco dealers in BNE Chris. $165 from an eBay seller. (I did not search for BNE)

Acdelco CAR Battery S80D26R 600CCA 30 MTH Warranty Maintenance Free AC Delco in VIC | eBay

As for Zupps, you should be entitled to trade discount. Bluff your way if necessary (you regular supplier does not have in stock and you can't wait for them to order).

John

Well that went well not!! Oh dear. . .

Zupps don't recognise your code as an ACDelco battery code :mallet:

Yes they did ask for the VIN number for my car :rolleyes:, I chuckled (well quietly guffawed) after some interrogation from David in spare parts, he determined the correct battery for a 1974 DS23 carb would be 22FR520SMF and he could do that for me for $211.00

I note another Delco supplier in Brisbane (not as convenient) list the S80D26R at $210.00
Allstar Batteries - S80D26R

Think I'll have a cup of tea and print some T-Shirts :crazy:

Cheers
Chris

That recommendation you received via Zupps, the case size is 22F. You can also see the "R" in its layout designation, the rest of its ID code is the CCA and Sealed Maintenance Free.

22F: 240 long, 170 wide, 203 total height (mm)
D26: 259 long, 172 wide, 222 total height (mm)

Sorry Chris, it must be a bit more competitive here is Melbourne. (Even our RACV will deliver and install - check out RACQ).

Any chance of a Trade Discount from Alistar Batteries - many shop assistants don't bother asking for details?

John

Well that went well not!! Oh dear. . .

Zupps don't recognise your code as an ACDelco battery code :mallet:

Yes they did ask for the VIN number for my car :rolleyes:, I chuckled (well quietly guffawed) after some interrogation from David in spare parts, he determined the correct battery for a 1974 DS23 carb would be 22FR520SMF and he could do that for me for $211.00

I note another Delco supplier in Brisbane (not as convenient) list the S80D26R at $210.00
Allstar Batteries - S80D26R

Think I'll have a cup of tea and print some T-Shirts :crazy:

Cheers
Chris

Personally I'm a big fan of silver-calcium. Bosch Silver in particular, I even used them for solar panel storage, as I am not really a big fan of deep-cycle. Again, personal.

Sure enough, as soon as I had to change the battery on the 21, I got me a 70 Ah Bosch Silver.
It wasn't very happy.
As soon as I changed the voltage regulator for a good one though, it was.

The reason can be found on the pertinent Wikipedia page:

"Silver calcium batteries generally require more charging voltage (14.4 to 14.8 V) and may not be functional in older vehicles because their power generating systems (alternators) give lower voltages than those of modern vehicles."

So basically, IMHO, if you have an old regulator, silver-calcium may not be a good idea, if you have a good one, go for them.

Heard that for years... yet I've used caclium plate Delkors in anythign from 1963 ID19's with generators to poogoe 407 hdi's. average life seems to be about 8years. Never had an issue with them not charigng enough (other than CX's with shit charging systems not charging them... 'cos they weren't charging at all!).

I've had someone tell me on the caravan forums the delkors must be charged at at least 14.8 volts .... Then turned around and said they barely last there warranty period either. I reckon the bottom line is if you charge the at high voltages, you will get an increased storage capacity from them .............. which isn't needed in a car where your not deep cycling them. However the high voltage charging also kills them quickly.

seeya,
shane L.

The

That recommendation you received via Zupps, the case size is 22F. You can also see the "R" in its layout designation, the rest of its ID code is the CCA and Sealed Maintenance Free.

22F: 240 long, 170 wide, 203 total height (mm)
D26: 259 long, 172 wide, 222 total height (mm)

Sorry Chris, it must be a bit more competitive here is Melbourne. (Even our RACV will deliver and install - check out RACQ).

Any chance of a Trade Discount from Alistar Batteries - many shop assistants don't bother asking for details?

John

Thanks Adam/John,

Pays to ring around, found these guys. . .
Contact Us - Sealed Performance Batteries

No messing around, no VIN, just make, model, year carb or injection.
S80D26R $145.00
22FR680SMF $125.00

attachment.php

Probably go with the battery John has recommended, $12.00 for Couriers Please to deliver to my door :)

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Delco.jpg
    Delco.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 570
Cannot argue with that Chris. So, Zupps miss out hey.

John

Thanks Adam/John,

Pays to ring around, found these guys. . .
Contact Us - Sealed Performance Batteries

No messing around, no VIN, just make, model, year carb or injection.
S80D26R $145.00
22FR680SMF $125.00

attachment.php

Probably go with the battery John has recommended, $12.00 for Couriers Please to deliver to my door :)

Cheers
Chris

... said they barely last there warranty period either....
Maybe, the caravan guy is simply discharging his batteries too much, which can dramatically shorten the service life?

I would expect the NS70L like this Century battery would fit:
Product
Length: 260 Width: 171 Height: 201 Total Height: 222
Supercheap have it, but they want over $200. Wait for the 20% of weekends.

AutoOne usually have a selection of Supercharge batteries and often run 20% off deals around public holidays etc.. They suggest their MF50 Gold battery fits, but there will be others and they list an NS70L Classic battery that would be very like the Century item.