Best battery for DS23IE ?

harrisson_citroen

Frogs Parking Only - All others will be toad.
VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
What's the guff on the best battery for a DS23 with Electronique injection?

May be you 've just bought one and are happy with it, or maybe if you can just let me know what's best for a DS23 in terms of ratings, type etc....:confused:

I have recently replaced the battery with one that fits the battery cradle precisely. The battery guys tried to talk me out of it as they said that battery is good for a truck! Nevertheless, I said I want it! I do not care if it's good for a truck.

I'll be visiting it tomorrow and will get the battery details tomorrow and will advise.

Regards,

John

What's the guff on the best battery for a DS23 with Electronique injection?

May be you 've just bought one and are happy with it, or maybe if you can just let me know what's best for a DS23 in terms of ratings, type etc....:confused:

I have recently replaced the battery with one that fits the battery cradle precisely. The battery guys tried to talk me out of it as they said that battery is good for a truck! Nevertheless, I said I want it! I do not care if it's good for a truck.

I'll be visiting it tomorrow and will get the battery details tomorrow and will advise.

Regards,

John

Thanks very much John,

looking forward to it.

Isn't it something like an N70Z ??? It's a bog standard larger sort of battery in any event. It can't have recessed terminals though.

For what it's worth, I have been very impressed by the "Absorbed Glass Mat" battery in one of my toys. Main merit (apart from compactness) was its capacity to over-deliver energy for an initial starting boost. In my case (driven by space considerations & battery shape) the battery brand is "Full River" rather than the better known Odessey etc.

cheers! Peter

But does it leak green fluid?

I recently initiated a discussion on similar batteries (AGM and Lithium types) and received some recommendations that included FullRiver as well.

If these blokes want a more authentic look, they could also consider the calcium alloyed lead-acid batteries such as commonly sold by SSB and Delkor. In the N70ZZ size, couple of hundred is the damage.

Oscaro has the case size as D26 in European nomenclature.

Regards.
John
I did precisely the same thing for my Light Fifteen. A modern battery looks totally out of place in these older cars. Too small and too brightly coloured.

Something of interest up here in 'the tropics' old style water top up batteries last longer than modern ones, don't know why but they are more resilient to heat, humidity.

I have an Optima battery in the CX. I am very happy with it now at 6 years old and still going strong. Cells are cylindrical gell types. Don't know how well it will fit in a DS but it is a little smaller than what was there before in the CX. One of the chief advantages is lower self discharge rates, perfect for a classic car. I would agree with that but be careful what radio you have in the car as some can have a pretty high standby load.

Thanks to you all Guys for your input.
Had a spare moment at work today and ran down to Battery World.
This is where it struck me that in my previous DSpecial I had a pre-stained LHM coloured battery installed which I had forgotten about.

Soon as I mentioned NS70X he led me to the Amaron Range, Calcium-Silver, Resistant to extreme heat, and capacity to hold charge longer when not used all the time.
Plus the beautiful "leak before you leak" fluoro en-masse green LHM colour as a bonus.
Couldn't resist Amaron Batteries

Last edited:
Notwithstanding that I advised Harrisson-Citroen too late (he purchased in a work break) via PM's of what battery fits the D precisely (and it's black), if anybody else is in the process/market for a new battery, the battery that I have installed last year is a: AC Delco battery # S80D26R.

It is a sealed maintenance free battery that is assigned to a Bentley. I had determined this by actually going through ACDelco catalogue (there maybe other suitable vehicles) after I purchased the battery on size and not on vehicle! I do not recall the dimensions now but I went through Any Power Battery's stock until I found one with proud terminal with the correct orientation of +ve and -ve terminals to fit D's cradle.

Any Power Batteries are located in Dandenong Victoria. Very happy with the service and price.

Regards,

John

Regards,

John

There it is, "D26R".

That gives the case size (D26, which also informs the terminal protrusion as desired) and the terminal orientation "R" (when the long edge with terminals is closest to you, positive is on the left).

So, the reason that very few(?) install the "correct battery" must be that battery catalogues have dropped off the D, and battery shops retailers believe that a battery of that size is overkill for a 4 cylinder petrol vehicle!

John

There it is, "D26R".

That gives the case size (D26, which also informs the terminal protrusion as desired) and the terminal orientation "R" (when the long edge with terminals is closest to you, positive is on the left).

So, the reason that very few(?) install the "correct battery" must be that battery catalogues have dropped off the D, and battery shops retailers believe that a battery of that size is overkill for a 4 cylinder petrol vehicle!

John

Good info John,
I'm about to replace my battery a Bosch S3 55D26R (very happy with it for over 6 years) - I'll get a price on the Delco, looks like my local supplier is Zupps (Peugeot) typical markup is horrendous, could I ask how much you paid?

Cheers
Chris

Sure can but you are a long way from Dandenong (just joking).

Nevertheless for anybody else in Melbourne, Any Power Batteries do deliver and install but not sure how far out of Dandenong.

Price for the AC Delco S80 D26R was $150.00. However, you may have to haggle for that in BNE but you at least know what they can sell them for and still make a profit.

This battery's performance is quite impressive (I reckon for the price):
1. Cold Cranking Amps 600
2. Amp Hours 75
3. Reserve Capacity 140 Minutes

Best regards,

John

Good info John,
I'm about to replace my battery a Bosch S3 55D26R (very happy with it for over 6 years) - I'll get a price on the Delco, looks like my local supplier is Zupps (Peugeot) typical markup is horrendous, could I ask how much you paid?

Cheers
Chris

Sure can but you are a long way from Dandenong (just joking).

Nevertheless for anybody else in Melbourne, Any Power Batteries do deliver and install but not sure how far out of Dandenong.

Price for the AC Delco S80 D26R was $150.00. However, you may have to haggle for that in BNE but you at least know what they can sell them for and still make a profit.

This battery's performance is quite impressive (I reckon for the price):
1. Cold Cranking Amps 600
2. Amp Hours 75
3. Reserve Capacity 140 Minutes

Best regards,

John

Thanks John,
I'll get a price from Zupps, I tip they will be at least $50.00 dearer than your fellow - I'll report back :cry:

Cheers
Chris

Why not shop around a bit? John's price is pretty good, but there are equivalents around your way.

Why not shop around a bit? John's price is pretty good, but there are equivalents around your way.

Definitely will, Zupps are almost walking distance from home so I'll give them a shot, but if I'm not happy I'll let them know :evil:

To be honest it is probably a waste of time given previous experience, they wouldn't talk to me without a VIN hahaha

Cheers
Chris

There must be AC Delco dealers in BNE Chris. $165 from an eBay seller. (I did not search for BNE)

Acdelco CAR Battery S80D26R 600CCA 30 MTH Warranty Maintenance Free AC Delco in VIC | eBay

As for Zupps, you should be entitled to trade discount. Bluff your way if necessary (you regular supplier does not have in stock and you can't wait for them to order).

John

Definitely will, Zupps are almost walking distance from home so I'll give them a shot, but if I'm not happy I'll let them know :evil:

To be honest it is probably a waste of time given previous experience, they wouldn't talk to me without a VIN hahaha

Cheers
Chris