Bad Luck: Da Matta

306XT

Fellow Frogger
This is from F1racing.net

'I never liked the way (world champion Michael) Schumacher conducted himself."

31-year-old da Matta, who left the US as 2002 CART champion, said Schumacher spent more time 'making his job easier' than genuinely trying to beat the opposition. "If Schumacher was a real champion," Cristiano slammed, "he wouldn't cry about things. It's good to be back in Champ Car. It's about racing and you know you have a chance to win."

It's funny he said that cause he would actually have a chance to win a race had he not been fired and still in the toyota car this year :joker: And who in the hell would not like to make their job easy? People bitch about anything, that just life. Looks who's whingeing beacuse they didn't make it in F1 :clown:

Schumacher is a sooky lala

He got that right

So are Schumacher fans :D

I dont believe bitching is part of life - i like to emulate people who skip or bitch very little and get on with what they've got

Last edited:
who the **** is da matta:D

but yeah kinda agree with him though, that said why on earth would a failed f1 turned CART driver open his mouth anyway:blackeye:

Schumacher doesn't conduct himself to please da Matta. No matter what or who you are, you'll never please everyone - and really, what would Schumi care of a failed F1 drivers' opinions anyway. It might just explain why Schumi is successful and da Matta not so...Bitter grapes if ever I heard it.

They gave da Matta a huge wrap and hyped him up, and in my opinion, did nothing, arguably wasting a half decent seat.

you have to give credit where it's due though and schuey is one of the best drivers we have seen for many years

sure he is in a very good team but it wasn't always so good either and he gets paid accordingly for his ability

funny how people always pick on the bloke that is at the pointy end race after race

just look back at when skaifey was winning race after race and everyone was having a whinge but now he is back in the group a bit more now no one mentions him yet give it time and if Ambrose was staying people will be crying about him in time in the same way

i think if they are good enough to be at the pointy end then good on them

they have worked hard at it and given it everything they have and they deserve the rewards

Schuey is also one of the fittest blokes on the track and that also helps in big lumps and he is a very calculating driver

It's his lack of integrity or ethics, just the same as Skaife's arrogance that turns people off him...

There is certainly something in what you say... people are probably quiet about Skaife because he's back in the pack a bit. But why should they be vocal if he is, there's nothing to talk about, is there?

Schumacher is worse, however... knocking one opponent off the track deliberately to secure a World Championship... and then trying it again two years later with another.

For him, it's not a sport...

But then, you have to give, as you say, credit where credit's due. He did give a bundle of money to the Tsunami appeal when he learned one of his bodyguards had died in it.

I dont think Da matta is attacking Schumacher in a professional sense. He's not doubting Schumacher's ability on the track - This is more of a personal attack. No one can doubt Schumacher being the best driver - its the way in which he does it ("conducts himself") which causes hatred.

Much the same as Lleyton Hewitt. Funny how no one has a problem with Roger Federer......?

Da Matta has an opinion all the same, yeah his a failed F1 driver....but thats more than most of us have achieved. His got more rights to his opinion as his competed with Schumacher at the highest level, not doubting Da Matta as an F1 failure.

Would Schumacher care about what Da Matta has to say? No
Would he care about what anyone has to say about how he applies himself? Hopefully....

I'm one of Schuey's biggest detractors, but he hit Hill in '94 by accident.

Cracking under Hill's pressure, he puts the car into the wall... and limps into the next corner. Hill is about two seconds behind. If you ever saw the in-car footage from Schuey's Benetton, you'd see that his steering was broken...and it took him three turns of the wheel to get the car to turn in.

When he started the first turn.. Hill was still behind him. He yanked the wheel a second time... Hill was still behind. Hill then darted out to try and pass... and Schuey yanked on the wheel a third time... at which point he was already committed to the corner anyway.

Schuey said this at the press conference at the end of the race, and the in-car footage which I saw later on backed him up 100%.

If Hill had waited until the next corner to pass him, he would have been World Champion... and a very deserved one. He drove superbly in '94, but significantly went off the boil the following year.

Of course Schuey intentionally tried to punt Hakkinen off in '97. Plus there are a list of other such 'indescretions' (such as putting Alonso on the grass at Hanger straight last year at 200 km/h plus) which he routinely gets away with which no doubt cause a lot of grumbling in the paddock.

Everyone makes mistake, but unfortunately for Michael it just comes at the wrong time (ie 94 with Hill and 97 with JV). Its like he's the bad guy, even after all this year. I mean I was watching motogp the otherday and Rossi just punned Sete Gibernau off. People were booing him at the track but no one will remember come the end of the year. In the interview Rossi sort of acted as if nothing was wrong as well! :joker:

306XT said:
Everyone makes mistake, but unfortunately for Michael it just comes at the wrong time (ie 94 with Hill and 97 with JV). Its like he's the bad guy, even after all this year. I mean I was watching motogp the otherday and Rossi just punned Sete Gibernau off. People were booing him at the track but no one will remember come the end of the year. In the interview Rossi sort of acted as if nothing was wrong as well! :joker:

The race was in Spain and Sete is Spanish, hence the booing...dont compare Rossi's unfortunate come together with Schuey's history of attrocious conduct

Pffft its not like its a one off, he's got a history of re-offending!!! How can u ignore it?

Fair enough Schumacher has crossed the line of good sportsmanship, but what annoys me is that he is constantly nailed due to 2 incidents (1 of which I think was not entirely his fault, Adeliade 1994).

There are many other examples of drivers acting similarly, but are not drilled in the same way. It's not an excuse as all are as guilty as each other, if not moreso than Schumacher. Senna, Prost and Capirossi are the few that come to mind immediately. This is not a justification, but if Schumacher is constantly downgraded, so then should be the others for the same or worse offences.

PLAYLIFE said:
Fair enough Schumacher has crossed the line of good sportsmanship, but what annoys me is that he is constantly nailed due to 2 incidents (1 of which I think was not entirely his fault, Adeliade 1994).

There are many other examples of drivers acting similarly, but are not drilled in the same way. It's not an excuse as all are as guilty as each other, if not moreso than Schumacher. Senna, Prost and Capirossi are the few that come to mind immediately. This is not a justification, but if Schumacher is constantly downgraded, so then should be the others for the same or worse offences.

You should read Pug-a-lug's description on Adelaide '94. Schumacher fooled Hill into that position and purposefully shut the door on him. As his race car was finished, that was the only way he could win the championship. If you believe the outcome was fair, then your attitude towards sportsmanship and where to draw the line mirrors that of the great man himself...but what if you were Hill? Would u think the same?

Prost? Once

Senna? Yeah maybe he pissed people off sometimes and he did take justice by his own hands with Prost....but he never did dirty deeds to win himself championships. One remembers the memorable battles with Jean Alesi where wheels never tangled and Alesi testified to that

No comparisons. Schuey cant hack people passing him. His record is distinguished. Make no mistake, he draws the line lower than anyone before him

renaulturbo said:
Schumacher is a sooky lala

He got that right

So are Schumacher fans

at least they aren't as bad as Senna fans :joker:

Let's not forget:

1. Prost won the championship in 89 after closing the door on Senna.
2. Senna won the championship in 90 after crashing Prost off the track.

renaulturbo said:
No comparisons. Schuey cant hack people passing him.

I guess Senna's actions in the pits with Irvine after he unlapped himself at Suzuka (93?) were old school sporting and not of the new business style racer?

Billy said:
at least they aren't as bad as Senna fans :joker:

Let's not forget:

1. Prost won the championship in 89 after closing the door on Senna.
2. Senna won the championship in 90 after crashing Prost off the track.

I guess Senna's actions in the pits with Irvine after he unlapped himself at Suzuka (93?) were old school sporting and not of the new business style racer?

1.Granted
2.Granted

We're talking off the track now? Senna thumped him...yeah...

renaulturbo said:
Senna? Yeah maybe he pissed people off sometimes and he did take justice by his own hands with Prost....but he never did dirty deeds to win himself championships. One remembers the memorable battles with Jean Alesi where wheels never tangled and Alesi testified to that

No comparisons. Schuey cant hack people passing him. His record is distinguished. Make no mistake, he draws the line lower than anyone before him

Senna hit Prost at over 200km/hr at Suzuka 1990. His intention was clear, and it was pre-determined - he would take Prost out. He made zero attempt to take the corner, and to add fuel to the fire, denied having done it on purpose! It was only a year later that he revealed that yes, he had done it on purpose.

Senna was damned lucky his front tyre didn't hit Prost's rear tyre. Could you imagine if Senna got his car, or Prost's for that matter, airborne. Not only was it incredibly dangerous for himself, but for the others around him. Recall they had 24 cars behind them, and some of which collided anyways due to the collision flicking debris and causing smoke/dust (I think it was one of the Arrows).

Senna was a hard man to pass, equally as hard as Schumacher. The driving was different back then, it wasn't as tame as now. Take a look at the 1991 Mexican GP where Senna balks Alesi at top speed into turn 1; those tactics would be penalised nowadays - but back then, it was normal.

PLAYLIFE said:
Senna hit Prost at over 200km/hr at Suzuka 1990. His intention was clear, and it was pre-determined - he would take Prost out. He made zero attempt to take the corner, and to add fuel to the fire, denied having done it on purpose! It was only a year later that he revealed that yes, he had done it on purpose.

Senna was damned lucky his front tyre didn't hit Prost's rear tyre. Could you imagine if Senna got his car, or Prost's for that matter, airborne. Not only was it incredibly dangerous for himself, but for the others around him. Recall they had 24 cars behind them, and some of which collided anyways due to the collision flicking debris and causing smoke/dust (I think it was one of the Arrows).

Senna was a hard man to pass, equally as hard as Schumacher. The driving was different back then, it wasn't as tame as now. Take a look at the 1991 Mexican GP where Senna balks Alesi at top speed into turn 1; those tactics would be penalised nowadays - but back then, it was normal.

The episode u mentioned i summed up as Senna's revenge and can only be summed up in a paragraph as you have. You would need a chapter of a book to tell the whole storry on the tussle between Prost/Senna 89/90. Senna's conduct at Suzuka '90 was fueled by inconsistecies with the Governing Body (FIA) and was:

Pre-determined? Yes
Safe? No
Ugly? Yes
Fair outcome?

An eye for an eye. Not very Christian by Senna who swore by the holy faith but you gotta say, the outcome was equal for both. The same cannot be said for Schuey's indiscretions. Too many pre-determined actions with absolutely no legitimate background & reason for the aggresion by my book

Hey if your of the opinion Senna was worse than Schuey, fair enough. But if you do, i assume u would have been in accordance with Didier Pironi's conduct in '82....in the race before the great Villeneuve lost his life....?

Last edited:
Ray Bell said:
There is no excuse for deliberately crashing into another car on the circuit... ever...

how true

now who is going to lecture Ambrose on this

or is it enough that Lowndes got a little of his own back in a later race ?

Apparently telemetry shows that Senna's foot was flat to the floor when he hit Prost.

In my mind, the only guy other than Senna that Prost ever collided with on a race-track in a decade of racing was Piquet at the Zandvoort hairpin, although I wait to be corrected.

Drivers hit each other far more these days, it didn't used to be like that. Mansell and Senna started taking each other off in '86 and from there it just snowballed.

BTW I was saying that Schuey didn't mean it in '94 and it was a complete 'accident', as opposed to a pre-meditated 'I'm taking you out'.

Time for some name-dropping : I spoke to Villeneuve's #2 mechanic not long after the race at Jerez '97, and he said the impact did a lot of damage to his sidepod which houses the battery and electrics, and that he was lucky to finish the race.