Autosport calls Kalle Rovanpera rallying prodigy

FD, you will likely know about this...
it seems that WRC codrivers use more or less identical verbal instructions when reading from the pace notes. which i suppose are written by the drivers anyway. so, are they all using a format which is roughly universal across all drivers / codrivers, or are there significant differences i am missing due to lack of familiarity?

i can see that it would be helpful to all of them to use a common language as it would surely assist the scope for different driver / co-driver pairings, but perhaps there are many variations on a basic theme.

Sorry alexander, I have missed this post of yours. My impression was from watching in car rally videos that there is no standard and there are number of systems in use. Wkipedia seems to support this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacenotes

Well it looks like Kalle will be able to ramp up his Rally schedule as a result of decision made in Finland. Kalle (16) has been granted special dispensation by AKK (local motor sporting body) to take part in AKK organised rallies in Finland with a R5-class car (even though he wont be able to hold a drivers licence until 18). This will permit him to take part in the Finnish Championship rounds:headbang:, but not able to collect championship points.:confused:

is he that good, or is there an element of hyperbole in the verstappen comparison?
anyway, good on the Powers That Be for being flexible in a situation which demands it.

thanks for you reply above. cheers.

Can't wait until all the budding Australian WRC Champs of 16 are let loose on the road, as well! Fortunately, because of the removal of the co-driver or navigator to be able to have to actually navigate, essentially WRC is now the the same as circuit racing with a bit of dirt involved, so no damage to other drivers, but one could expect a sudden rush of 16 YO blood to leave a few maimed spectators......

He did a stadium type event in Italy, first time in a full WRC car and came second to a full time WRC driver.

See for yourself. He is lot better than I was at 16, or any age for that matter:D. He is the black Fiesta

, because of the removal of the co-driver or navigator to be able to have to actually navigate, essentially WRC is now the the same as circuit racing with a bit of dirt involved,...

where did that idea come from?
every co-driver in WRC is navigating from essential pacenotes.

As you will see in another thread, that is not "navigating", it's reading pace notes.:wink2:

As you will see in another thread, that is not "navigating", it's reading pace notes.:wink2:

and when do you see that this change from "navigating" to "reading pace" note occurred?

My earliest recollections are in mid/late 1960's, seeing Pommy registered rally Minies, reccing the Rally stages less than 500m from our house in Finland.

I agree that pace notes were Euro driven, but directors in Oz were not as quick to take them up. I think that the Southern Cross took on pace notes early, but the BP Rally always remained a serious navigational event. Club and several State Championship Rallies (Alpine, George Derrick, etc.) always seemed to be navigational here in Victoria, at least until I pulled the pin as a navigator/director in the mid to late seventies. My last ride was in the death seat of a very hot (200 bhp+) Datsun 1600 in Gippsland in 1981.

Last edited:
Well, you can live in your past and I'll live in mine, each to their own:D

I agree that pace notes were Euro driven, but directors in Oz were not as quick to take them up. I think that the Southern Cross took on pace notes early, but the BP Rally always remained a serious navigational event. Club and several State Championship Rallies (Alpine, George Derrick, etc.) always seemed to be navigational here in Victoria, at least until I pulled the pin as a navigator/director in the mid to late seventies. My last ride was in the death seat of a very hot (200 bhp+) Datsun 1600 in Gippsland in 1981.

so in a nutshell, it has precisely nothing to do with this utterly incorrect statement:

because of the removal of the co-driver or navigator to be able to have to actually navigate, essentially WRC is now the the same as circuit racing with a bit of dirt involved

oh ok, so this rubbish is just you pining for the 'old days', when you got out in your tweed jacket and cap, and the navigator found the way to the picnic. get with the 1980s, grandpa.

Unlike yourself, I never found it necessary to own a tweed jacket and cap. The picnics however were always enjoyable after a 300 mile plus event through Victoria's forests finishing at a frigid picnic ground out in the bush at some unearthly hour of the morning, warming yourself and your beer before a raging fire and waiting for the rest of the field to arrive before the long drive home.......the best part was that you didn't get your results until a week later.

Navigational events obviously proved too hard for the majority of competitors going into the eighties, as the number of WD's and missed controls regularly showed.......

Kalle Rovanpera won the first round of the year of the Latvian Championship, by winning all the special stages.

Next weekend he will be competing for the first time in the Finnish Championship in Mikkeli.