Autosport calls Kalle Rovanpera rallying prodigy

Hi,
I can't say I know much about this young bloke, but it sounds like he is doing very well for such a young'un.

You have to a little laugh that his government has made a special rule to give him a driver's licence early, because he is really good at driving extra fast. Great that they did, but it has a funny side.

John

Kalle recently tested the M-Sport Ford in Wales. Wilson was on the spot to see the young man for himself. He said he is only 16, but looks more like 12 or 13, but he found it unbelievable the level of technical understanding he has at 16 in giving feedback and what effect setup changes had.

He is expected to drive in WRC round in Wales later this year after he has turned 17.

Kalle placed third in the final round of the Latvia Rally Championship, winning the title. He made two silly mistakes, firstly he took the wrong route and the second time jumped the start. His errors earned him a total of 40 seconds in penalties, but he was still only 14.9 seconds behind the winner. This makes it the third title he was won in Latvia. Two years ago he won with a two wheel drive Citroen C2, last year and again this year he won in a Skoda.

Kalle competed in the recent Rally of Wales in M-Sport R5 Fiesta in the WRC2 class.

He was not happy with the car on the first stage, had a flat on the 4th stage and retired on the fifth stage, so not a great outcome. He was able to compete in later stages, but obviously out of the running for decent result, but it's all experience at this stage.

He is expected to take part in the last WRC2 class round of the year in Australia.

He won the Latvia Rally Championship again this year

Kalle managed 2nd in WRC2 in a privately entered Skoda last weekend. 11th overall. I thought that was a fair achievement for the now 17 year old. He will be competing some rounds in a Skoda WRC2 car this year.

Kalle Rovampera keeps delivering at Portugal

Young Kalle (18) was 6th outright in Portugal and won the WRC2 Pro class in Skoda Fabia R5

attachment.php

https://twitter.com/MNmotorsport/status/1143796149603749888/photo/1

Tomi has denied the report, saying they are only in discussions with Tanak for next years contract, although both Latvala and Meeke also have contracts only to the end of this year.

Attachments

• Kalle to Toyota.jpg
    Kalle to Toyota.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 316
Well, well, young Kalle won his first WRC round in Estonia. Not only did he win but won by almost one minute margin. Kalle will be 21 on 1st of October.

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/results/2021/rally-estonia-484350/

Young Rovanpera took the record for the youngest WRC round winner from Jari-Matti Latvala, who in turn took it from Henri Toivonen.

Last edited:
Well, well, young Kalle won his first WRC round in Estonia. Not only did he win but won by almost one minute margin. Kalle will be 21 on 1st of October.

https://www.motorsport.com/wrc/results/2021/rally-estonia-484350/

Young Rovanpera took the record for the youngest WRC round winner from Jari-Matti Latvala, who in turn took it from Henri Toivonen.

I watched it all on Red Bull TV. Rovanpera was unbeatable throughout the event, amazing for such a young bloke!

I was reading in Finnish press that Latvala (Toyota WRC boss) said that Kalle is at his best on fast flat out rallies. Although many of the stages were new, Kalle was rallying in Estonia when he was 15/16 and later in Latvia with similar terrain. Interestingly Ott Tanak who is Estonian did not figure in the results, after early puncture and later off.