Any BX16v in Syd want to take my BX16v for a spin

TroyO said:
Careful Uga, we are talking about a real Citroen with real Citroen suspension, not a Poogoo in drag. ;)

Troy.

Ah it's the other way around, Poogoo lease Citroen innovation and technology.

Quote:

Peugeot is now part of the Citroën group and although some technology is shared, Citroën has it's own development team and technology to bring to the car market.

Source: citroen.com

:joker:

What was the reason for Citroen using a plastic bonnet and rear hatch in the BX - was it purely for saving weight?

What type of plastic is it made out of?

Cheers

Stalled

Haha, just stirring, I wouldn't want to take a C4 on a mountain cruise or leave it in a hail storm though with the aluminium bonnet. I'd rather a plastic one, not a dint after 20 years of abuse!!

Maybe they should have used more plastic in the C4 to reduce the weight some more. Its a pity really, visually I like the C4 the best out of the new cits, but they are just too heavy for their engines. I'd like to see something like a C4 VTS @ around 1050kilos, or they could bring out a turbo version at the current weight.

Ah well I can always compromise and put a VTS engine in a Bx, perfect. :joker:

Dave

Stalled, the bonnet and tailgate are a plastic/fibreglass moulding compound. The other panels are polyamide or polycarbonate.
They are very lightweight, and aside from a few stone chips in my bonnet (difficult to repair), I can vouch for their strength. Recently somebody in a commodore collided with me in the rear end. Result? bent the frame under the bumper, crumpling up the floor of the boot, pulling the tailgate latch and hence the tailgate in with it (did I mention the window glass is inseparable from the tailgate?). Immediately after the collision, i pushed the button, lifted, and out popped my tailgate - wholly intact, no bloken glass - cracked fibreglass, wasn't even bent.
As far as I know the Xantia's tailgate is the same or very similar.

I too think it's a shame the C4 is so overweight - by all accounts the VTS just doesn't really have enough power to lug it around. Surely though, shedding a few hundred kilos would make it ride more like a smaller hatch - likely get blown all over the place on a windy day?
:cheers: Andrew.

Shane is quoted as calling them lumps of tupperware.....!!:D :roflmao:

..................and we're still all waiting with baited breaths for Uga to tell us all about his experiences with the 16V......... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Alan S :joker:

DoubleChevron said:
Nah, a poogoe would never keep up ... Unless possibly it's a 160hp version (he's gotto power a transfer case, tailshaft extra diff ... extra weight ...). No doubt he'd be quicker off the line though

yes, it's the full monty. It won't be quicker off the line though. Too much extra weight to cart around. First corner though.......goodbye.

Correction......PSA own Citroen not the other way around......

Uga Boga said:
Ah it's the other way around, Poogoo lease Citroen innovation and technology.

Quote:

Peugeot is now part of the Citroën group and although some technology is shared, Citroën has it's own development team and technology to bring to the car market.

Source: citroen.com

:joker:

I'm on for a 16V comparison day...have to be close to home though in case of breakdowns....don't want to have to walk too far and I've used up my NRMA towing allowance this year :D :D
Some nice twisty roads from Peats Ridge to Wisemans Ferry on the Hawksbury....the old Pacific Highway is good too, but lots of bikies and cops on it on the weekends...so can't get to excited on the go faster pedal....

ozziediver said:
I'm on for a 16V comparison day...have to be close to home though in case of breakdowns....don't want to have to walk too far and I've used up my NRMA towing allowance this year :D :D
Some nice twisty roads from Peats Ridge to Wisemans Ferry on the Hawksbury....the old Pacific Highway is good too, but lots of bikies and cops on it on the weekends...so can't get to excited on the go faster pedal....

Thanks for being on topic, I wouldnt worry we could give you a lift/ tow home if needed. Must be somewhere we can get a straight line. :confused:

Any 100k bits of the old freeway?

docchevron1472 said:
I'm new to this site but my best mate smiffy1071 has access to the toadpond and humour and I dont :cry: ! Is this because I haven't posted enough???? Cheers Chris

Yep, I think the limit is 30 posts.

ajpolden said:
Stalled, the bonnet and tailgate are a plastic/fibreglass moulding compound. The other panels are polyamide or polycarbonate.
They are very lightweight, and aside from a few stone chips in my bonnet (difficult to repair), I can vouch for their strength. Recently somebody in a commodore collided with me in the rear end. Result? bent the frame under the bumper, crumpling up the floor of the boot, pulling the tailgate latch and hence the tailgate in with it (did I mention the window glass is inseparable from the tailgate?). Immediately after the collision, i pushed the button, lifted, and out popped my tailgate - wholly intact, no bloken glass - cracked fibreglass, wasn't even bent.
As far as I know the Xantia's tailgate is the same or very similar.

I too think it's a shame the C4 is so overweight - by all accounts the VTS just doesn't really have enough power to lug it around. Surely though, shedding a few hundred kilos would make it ride more like a smaller hatch - likely get blown all over the place on a windy day?
:cheers: Andrew.

Very Interesting! - Thanks for the info!

Seems pretty cool how Citroen went about saving weight in the BX and considering the first of the BX's are 20 years old!

Stalled