Another R17 owner planning to upgrade

Old Coodanup. Lived there in the late 90's in an old shack with 1"gaps in the floor boards. That area stinks when the tide is out.
But very good for speed windsurfing when the surface is glassy from the weed while the wind is honking! Can't say I'd wanna live there tho!

Never go back!

I couldn't wait for Marlene. Cold shoulder I think

Bought these.....
Arnaud order.jpg

Never go back!

I couldn't wait for Marlene. Cold shoulder I think

Bought these.....
View attachment 237110
Is there different size front tie rods for the gordini models?
That is the same part number that is for the R12 wagon. The other part number for the stabiliser bar tie rod is 7701452078 shown in the R15 & R17 parts books that I have. Not sure what the difference is.

I don't know either but the pair I have here, I bought sometime back and were never right. I hope Arnaud is getting it right.
I must get a proper parts book

I must get a proper parts book
Some parts catalogues on Ebay John at various price points. The books have sure gone up in price from when I bought mine

Some parts catalogues on Ebay John at various price points. The books have sure gone up in price from when I bought mine

Thanks COL. There has been one in Perth for sometime. I just never remember to go and grab it!

Reactions: COL
Thanks COL. There has been one in Perth for sometime. I just never remember to go and grab it!

That is a bargain going by the Ebay prices and would be freight free, grab it before he looks on Ebay and decides he wants more.

I always find parts books to be Problematic. Renault superseded their part numbers annually, and were less than perfect about the changes, end result you have 3 boxes, 3 part numbers, all with the same bit in them.......... Usually best to start with the last publication from your preferred time period, that way you have the last known good numbers as your start point, which is easier than trying to start from an early number which may have changed 4 times to get to the number you are starting with in the later publication. Lessons hard learned in the Dealership 30 years ago. I can't prove it, but it seems like they did not create a number for a bit and keep it. They allocated numbers to Models as they came out, meaning that the parts already in existence got their numbers changed.
This is why there are about 20 odd numbers for a Ducel cap and rotor clip on type, when in reality there is only the one cap and rotor, starting with an 0856 number and finishing with a 7701 number.

Definitely makes it harder.
I presumed that Ren12 shop know what their dealing with when it comes to the parts they supply and do checks. I still haven't heard from them. I have a dutch friend that is going to email them tomorrow. Hope it gets some reaction.
At least I have another set on their way. 🤞

I always find parts books to be Problematic. Renault superseded their part numbers annually, and were less than perfect about the changes, end result you have 3 boxes, 3 part numbers, all with the same bit in them.......... Usually best to start with the last publication from your preferred time period, that way you have the last known good numbers as your start point, which is easier than trying to start from an early number which may have changed 4 times to get to the number you are starting with in the later publication. Lessons hard learned in the Dealership 30 years ago. I can't prove it, but it seems like they did not create a number for a bit and keep it. They allocated numbers to Models as they came out, meaning that the parts already in existence got their numbers changed.
This is why there are about 20 odd numbers for a Ducel cap and rotor clip on type, when in reality there is only the one cap and rotor, starting with an 0856 number and finishing with a 7701 number.
Sometimes problematic I agree. Still, better to have parts books than NOT. I reckon they are worth having just for the masterly engineering drawings and for their great usefulness as exploded diagrams. I have 4 or 5 different 4CV books with (if I recall, about three different numbering systems) from 1948 onwards. For the RERs, some numbers carry on year after year and some, as you say, are confusingly changed.

Wiring is always a state of mind, Shoji. You have to be in it to get it done nicely. The UK R8 is now in the dash and behind dash mode, and all I see in my head is wiring diagrams ......

Nice work !!

Ray

I know what your say GekoEng. Better when planned I guess:
And don't mess with original
I want to add more looms for extra functions but I'm no sparky.
I will looking up howto's.....
  • MAIN LOOM - Factory
  • Lights x 4
  • Horn x 2
  • Indicators x 2
  • Washer
  • Reverse
  • Oil
  • Starter x 2
  • Alt x 2
  • Coil
  • Wiper
  • Brake
  • IGNITION LOOM - Factory
  • Regulator x 2
  • Coil
  • Alternator

• REAR LOOM
  • All rear lights
  • Fuel Gauge
  • Interior lights
  • Seat light
  • Boot light

• Separate NEW LOOM(S) (without altering original looms)
  • New Alternator loom 100amp
  • Seat belt lights
  • Floor lights
  • Instrument panel spare attention lights (R17 has them but not used!)
  • Rear fuel pump
  • ECU loom
  • Hazard lights
  • Electric cooling fan loom
  • Driving lights
  • AirCon?
  • ?
  • ?

I know what your say GekoEng. Better when planned I guess:
And don't mess with original
I want to add more looms for extra functions but I'm no sparky.
I will looking up howto's.....
  • MAIN LOOM - Factory
  • Lights x 4
  • Horn x 2
  • Indicators x 2
  • Washer
  • Reverse
  • Oil
  • Starter x 2
  • Alt x 2
  • Coil
  • Wiper
  • Brake
  • IGNITION LOOM - Factory
  • Regulator x 2
  • Coil
  • Alternator

• REAR LOOM
  • All rear lights
  • Fuel Gauge
  • Interior lights
  • Seat light
  • Boot light

• Separate NEW LOOM(S) (without altering original looms)
  • New Alternator loom 100amp
  • Seat belt lights
  • Floor lights
  • Instrument panel spare attention lights (R17 has them but not used!)
  • Rear fuel pump
  • ECU loom
  • Hazard lights
  • Electric cooling fan loom
  • Driving lights
  • AirCon?
  • ?
  • ?
Must show you how not to do some of these when I did them 40-odd years ago. No problems but not exactly looms...

It’s happening it’s happening :)

Those extra circuits look ok too, can’t think of anything else tou’d be missing. Those door lights will be fun!

You can probably share a few of them with a single fuse too, you’ll work it out :)

I think we are going to have to fly to WA to congratulate you when this is done. Dear god.

I think we are going to have to fly to WA to congratulate you when this is done. Dear god.
This all started with a minor underbonnet fire, don't forget. John is quite meticulous! I had no idea what the cleanup was about to evolve into. Yes, come over. A small party is warranted I reckon.