A110 Restoration

Never had an issue with it jumping out of gear.
The lever may buzz and vibrate a bit more than normal, but it's hard to tell - it's on a race car with no carpet, trim, etc. so the whole car is louder and rougher than normal.

-Victor

I think the casing is the same, the cover on the back of the box (toward the front of the car) is just deeper to contain the 5th gear.
I can snap a pic of the 2 side by side tomorrow.

I think the casing is the same, the cover on the back of the box (toward the front of the car) is just deeper to contain the 5th gear.
I can snap a pic of the 2 side by side tomorrow.

so where is the cover from? an r8g five speed? or custom made? or some other box?

cheers! peter

so where is the cover from? an r8g five speed? or custom made? or some other box?

cheers! peter

You could use the cover from an R8G 5-spd to make 5-spd, but that seems pretty pointless since you already have a 5-spd. :)
The cover (and internals) from a R16-TX or R5-Alpine works fine. I think you can also use a R12, R18, or Fuego with some extra work (including flipping the crown wheel over to the other side so it goes in the right direction).

Below, from right to left, are a 4-spd box, 5-spd box, Estafette box from a Matra d'Jet, and a random later 5-spd in yellow:
IMG-20130616-00394_sm.jpg

Here's a close-up of the 5-speed (left) and 4-speed (right) - you can see the case is the same, just different end caps.
IMG-20130616-00395_sm.jpg

Last edited:
I think you will find that theres also a spacer plate between the box and the deeper end caseing, you can see it in the multi box pic, pugs

Use could use the cover from an R8G 5-spd to make 5-spd, but that seems pretty pointless since you already have a 5-spd. :)
The cover (and internals) from a R16-TX or R5-Alpine works fine. I think you can also use a R12, R18, or Fuego with some extra work (including flipping the crown wheel over to the other side so it goes in the right direction).

Below, from right to left, are a 4-spd box, 5-spd box, Estafette box from a Matra d'Jet, and a random later 5-spd in yellow:
View attachment 45046

Here's a close-up of the 5-speed (left) and 4-speed (right) - you can see the case is the same, just different end caps.
View attachment 45047

greetings, fellow Djet-owner, that's good news about the A5 as that's a box I have.

now, concerning the 329 djet box, as you realise from the ROCoNA site, I'm after one (or an Estafette box) for my Djet; I don't suppose that one's for sale is it?

cheers! Peter

Last edited:
As I previously mentioned, the 5 speed box was built by Richard Mann and I have asked his advice on the matters you raised and will get back to you.

As I mentioned previously, the gearbox was built by Richard Mann and he has advised the following:

"The main gearbox case (the two halves) is a type 330 BUT there are few differences over the years.

The early 330 was fitted to the R8, and is generally painted green. It has a unique gear selection system. The fingers of these selectors are shared with the early 5 speed boxes, so good to hang onto these old boxes for another 5 speed donor. These boxes use 8mm balls and small springs to create the detent between gears. The small springs often break.

The R10 uses a 330 but has revised gear selection fingers.

The R10S is the best box because it uses 10mm balls and springs for the gear shift detent. The R10S has a boss on the side where a reverse light switch can be fitted. It also has an improved bellhousing which better supports for the clutch throw -out bearing.

The casing for the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] gear is unique to the 5 speed. In your case it came from Simon Auto, but I think it originates from Mecaparts.

The gearbox internals are from the 385 fitted to the R5 which originated in the R16TX. It has a bigger diff and output shafts. The 330 casing needs to be relieved to fit the crown wheel.

So to build a 5 speed you need

1 x R8 box
1 x R10S box
1 x R16TX/R5 box
1 x new end housing"

As I mentioned previously, the gearbox was built by Richard Mann and he has advised the following:

"The main gearbox case (the two halves) is a type 330 BUT there are few differences over the years.

The early 330 was fitted to the R8, and is generally painted green. It has a unique gear selection system. The fingers of these selectors are shared with the early 5 speed boxes, so good to hang onto these old boxes for another 5 speed donor. These boxes use 8mm balls and small springs to create the detent between gears. The small springs often break.

The R10 uses a 330 but has revised gear selection fingers.

The R10S is the best box because it uses 10mm balls and springs for the gear shift detent. The R10S has a boss on the side where a reverse light switch can be fitted. It also has an improved bellhousing which better supports for the clutch throw -out bearing.

The casing for the 5[SUP]th[/SUP] gear is unique to the 5 speed. In your case it came from Simon Auto, but I think it originates from Mecaparts.

The gearbox internals are from the 385 fitted to the R5 which originated in the R16TX. It has a bigger diff and output shafts. The 330 casing needs to be relieved to fit the crown wheel.

So to build a 5 speed you need

1 x R8 box
1 x R10S box
1 x R16TX/R5 box
1 x new end housing"

Excellent, thank you. Peter