A Real Dauphine !!!

I seem to have managed to beat Frans to see who got their dry sump motor finished first. I picked mine up from the Dyno yesterday, the good news is the oil pressure is much better than standard Renault and I may have to take it down a bit yet
Anyway here is the dyno sheet: It is a Stroked 1550 which gives 1689cc with my 84mm Steel crank.

1689 Dyno sheet 001.jpg

Then you get the graph paper out and draw pictures

Dyno graph 001.jpg

If I'm honest I am a little dissapointed, I hoped it would be above 180, I'm convinced it is not totally harmonised in the valvetrain department. Salv reckons it's pretty good as Strokers are not quite as sweet at the top due to rod angularity. According to Iain who tested it. it's an Aggressive wee thing that likes to rev. He is convinced it will fly in the car. This is based on how it reacts on the brake
All I have to do is straighten the bloody car out and I can get on and install it. There's always next year...........

Yeah dude! Sure does like to rev, more torque at 7.5k then at 4k! Sick!

That's gonna be mad!

I seem to have managed to beat Frans to see who got their dry sump motor finished first. I picked mine up from the Dyno yesterday, the good news is the oil pressure is much better than standard Renault and I may have to take it down a bit yet
Anyway here is the dyno sheet: It is a Stroked 1550 which gives 1689cc with my 84mm Steel crank.

View attachment 208535

Then you get the graph paper out and draw pictures

View attachment 208536

If I'm honest I am a little dissapointed, I hoped it would be above 180, I'm convinced it is not totally harmonised in the valvetrain department. Salv reckons it's pretty good as Strokers are not quite as sweet at the top due to rod angularity. According to Iain who tested it. it's an Aggressive wee thing that likes to rev. He is convinced it will fly in the car. This is based on how it reacts on the brake
All I have to do is straighten the bloody car out and I can get on and install it. There's always next year...........
Where's the red line going to be on the tacho, or the rev limiter if it is electronically fired? Wow.

Where's the red line going to be on the tacho, or the rev limiter if it is electronically fired? Wow.
No Tacho, no rev limiter. Sequential shift light only Think I'll start with everything flashing like mad at 7800 and see how that goes. You really don't have time to do anything else. If you've got time to look at your Dash you're not going fast enough............

Yeah dude! Sure does like to rev, more torque at 7.5k then at 4k! Sick!

That's gonna be mad!
The original 1550 that Salv built for my 8G was a truly crazy thing which peaked for torque at 6500. It didn't get onto it's back legs proper until after 5000 then it was away. Salv had a shot of it and his bottle went at 8500, but it was still going. Iain's remarks on that engine when he tested it were `Be very careful you don't rev the bollocks off that' and bless him he was right. It was immense fun, but it got a cam change which lost it 3BHP at 7500 but gained 11 at 5000 and was much more user friendly pulling hard from 4k. This stroker is using the same cam and is showing 7-11 bhp gain across the range less so at the top, but dynamics are against it I fear. It is truly written `You can't win 'em all'

After the accident it looks like this

Crash repair odds (2) resize.jpg

Yesterday, My Panelbeater mate and I had a half day on it, with the Dozer and it Now looks like this

Crash repair odds (11) resize.jpg

I am a bit happier about it now. The bonnet fits back on 3 of it's pins no problem. I have it back in my workshop to cut off the damaged panels that will be getting replaced. Having seen @Frans 's post about his Hoist, I went investigating and bought this, it is a simpler and less robust version, but fine for our light old cars, rated at 1500kg static. They were on special from the Manufacturer on their e-bay shop £380.00 inc vat and carriage. The link is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154107554529
The bike wheels are not a good look.............

My son Made a beginner type error.. He went first, second, first over a crest right corner at Forrestburn Hillclimb course and it swapped ends on him. No room for error there, so he hit the wall on the offside as it went round.

And what a cool Dad you are letting him punt that cool thing around :)

Assume he's all ok, if not getting teased relentless by you and his mates :p

Let's hear it for cool dads. They're either brave or stupid. Or both.

Either way, that is seriously cool. If I had ever had a car as cool as that I reckon I would still have it today.

How old are we talking?

I reckon that dent should cost him at least a carton of beer.

Last edited:
In answer to your question Both, but mainly stupid, as a Bachelor is a man who never made the same mistake once! I bought the Dauph to build a Proto in 2005, Got it nearly finished by 2008, made the fatal mistake of putting it to one side to sort out My wife's R8 which took longer than expected, never got back to it until about 2012, had it going, lost interest /Son's interest's getting in the way by 2014. Decided not to choose and parked the cars. By 2018 sold both 8's off and rationalised the car parts and had become Roadie for my son's band (good bunch of Lads) Covid stopped the band (which I was no longer Roadie for as they could drive) so we packed up the band gear and took the unfinished Dauph out of Hibernation in late 2020. This year was going to see it ready to compete proper, but now there is a slight delay and it looks like 2023 it might be finished.
As I write this there is a lot on the go, I am competing for workshop space again with all the Band stuff. There are at least 4 other projects I am involved in (old Renaults) for other people, as well as my own, but as it is not an official thing it all runs to my timescales, so it's all good really
This is the link to the Band https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsOU4zaUsa3iRt4A6j-SS0A There is an odd album which shows in their topic, which is not them, the homes and houses album. They have some really good new stuff which has not been released yet. They did the calling me home album when they were 17. The Quarantine sessions album speaks for itself. This is 2022 so they are now 22 and finding out life gets more complicated. Women, homes Etc. If only they had more sense.....................

@dauphproto: “Salv reckons it's pretty good as Strokers are not quite as sweet at the top due to rod angularity”
Are you still using standard or standard lenght(128mm) rods?

Lovely Dauphine!
Given the time, and substantial budget, I thought transplanting the entire driveline and suspension from the A110 PE that got written off in Oz recently would have gone nicely into a Dauphine shell. Not sure about rear seat occupancy, but perfection is the enemy of good enough.

In answer to your question Both, but mainly stupid, as a Bachelor is a man who never made the same mistake once! I bought the Dauph to build a Proto in 2005, Got it nearly finished by 2008, made the fatal mistake of putting it to one side to sort out My wife's R8 which took longer than expected, never got back to it until about 2012, had it going, lost interest /Son's interest's getting in the way by 2014. Decided not to choose and parked the cars. By 2018 sold both 8's off and rationalised the car parts and had become Roadie for my son's band (good bunch of Lads) Covid stopped the band (which I was no longer Roadie for as they could drive) so we packed up the band gear and took the unfinished Dauph out of Hibernation in late 2020. This year was going to see it ready to compete proper, but now there is a slight delay and it looks like 2023 it might be finished.
As I write this there is a lot on the go, I am competing for workshop space again with all the Band stuff. There are at least 4 other projects I am involved in (old Renaults) for other people, as well as my own, but as it is not an official thing it all runs to my timescales, so it's all good really
This is the link to the Band https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsOU4zaUsa3iRt4A6j-SS0A There is an odd album which shows in their topic, which is not them, the homes and houses album. They have some really good new stuff which has not been released yet. They did the calling me home album when they were 17. The Quarantine sessions album speaks for itself. This is 2022 so they are now 22 and finding out life gets more complicated. Women, homes Etc. If only they had more sense.....................
Perfect description of how life evolves, I'd say. There's a "family first" message there too!

You forgot to mention the band won Song of the Year at The UK Country Music Awards in October 2020!!

Their channel is much more interesting than the generated topic. 👍

You forgot to mention the band won Song of the Year at The UK Country Music Awards in October 2020!!

Their channel is much more interesting than the generated topic. 👍
Thanks for saying that, and I did forget to mention that.. This year they are once again finalists for best song again and best group, They are well enough known within music circles, but as with all things in life being good is not enough, you have to be lucky as well!! Malcolm my son and Callum have been playing and busking together since they were 13. Gigging round the pubs since 16. 1st Album at 17 Second Album went on hold due to Covid and Quarantine Sessions was put together instead. Second Album being released one at a time to see if that works better in the Digital Era. Third Album in the works now, which is definitely their best stuff yet. Better (music) jobs coming along, so they just need to keep plugging away. In case you were wondering my Son is Lead Guitar/Vocal/backing vocal and the normal weapon of choice is his metallic orange Tele, bought coz it matched his hair. He gets introduced as the `Master of the Gingercaster'

@dauphproto: “Salv reckons it's pretty good as Strokers are not quite as sweet at the top due to rod angularity”
Are you still using standard or standard lenght(128mm) rods?
With a stroker you need to use Std rods. Salv has been experimenting with Long rods and stroker pistons in a Non Stroker Config = Screamer...

With a stroker you need to use Std rods. Salv has been experimenting with Long rods and stroker pistons in a Non Stroker Config = Screamer...
Why is that? I guess your pistons have about 3,5mm lower compression height to compensate for the extra throw. Can the pistons not be made even lower to compensate for extra rod lengt?
I know of examples where the Cleon based Brasilian CHT1600 witch have 83,5mm crankshaft have been modified using the 138mm conrods from CHT1000 and 25mm compression height pistons.
I plan to build a C2J(super 5) engine in the same fashion with BMW Mini w11 pistons

Why is that? I guess your pistons have about 3,5mm lower compression height to compensate for the extra throw. Can the pistons not be made even lower to compensate for extra rod lengt?
I know of examples where the Cleon based Brasilian CHT1600 witch have 83,5mm crankshaft have been modified using the 138mm conrods from CHT1000 and 25mm compression height pistons.
I plan to build a C2J(super 5) engine in the same fashion with BMW Mini w11 pistons
Yes the pistons have the Wrist pin 3.5mm higher. Remember it is a hemi with stepped liners the space available above the pin and below the Step is full of rings with nowhere else to go, also the crown height is still quite high. The engines actual configuration places several constraints on what you can do. Edit See Caption Below.