a few 306 questions

I seem to remember the 306 overtaking the 505/4?? As the all time best seller........ then again I'm probably quite wrong... but thats my guess. wink

I think the 306 bought alot of buyers back or new ones to the marque. Buyers saw it as the great car it is and came back for more. Now they see the 307 for it own merits and probably will come back for more (if just for the 307GTi) wink

We've had 3 306's so far (mum 1 x XR, 1x XT and dad 1x XSi)

Mum had the crappers for a month after I talked dad into the XSi as she wanted the uniqueness of owning a 306 to herself!! :D

My brother loves dad's XSi (better than his girlfriends 206CC 2L, and his 106GTi!! eek! )

His fav is the Clio V6, says its an absolute BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p Better than the DB7 he reacons. (Was an engineer on both)

Jono

Pug307:
Actually, seeing we're on the topic of sales. What was the best selling Pug, and in which year did Peugeot achieve the highest sales? (I don't know the answer - just wondering).
I doubt it'd be the mid-90s .. a little issue of France and pacific islands etc :p

If you believe this article as a definitive statement, it was 2001:

<a href="http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_/showall_/id_PEU/doc_peu0201091/article.html" target="_blank">http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_/showall_/id_PEU/doc_peu0201091/article.html</a>

As far as the best selling model, it was the 306 (2.7 million worldwide, over 12,500 in Australia):

<a href="http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_10/showall_/id_PEU/doc_peu0112101/article.html" target="_blank">http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_10/showall_/id_PEU/doc_peu0112101/article.html</a>

It's a slight variation of one of the words mentioned by Mr Phasis.

That Autoweb article says the 306 is the best selling car in Peugeot's history, but is it the best selling car in Peugeot Australia's history?

There seem to be a handful of old 504s around still - did they sell well back in those days?

Cheers,

Justin

I think you see more when you're looking for them. Before I bought my 505, I never really saw many 504s or 505s around, but now there seem to be a great deal more 505's at least. I think I must look out for them, as I know I get a bit excited when I see another :D

Well near enough is good enough...so.

The answer is <a href="http://users.bigpond.net.au/skystar/306s16.jpg" target="_blank">HERE!</a>

It's that good old word, you know :)

Cheers,

Justin

<small>[ 30 July 2002, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Pug307 ]</small>

Nice one, Justin,

Ohh the suspense...

Kept the tension going over a few days, and the final answer hidden, still leaving us guessing until the link was opened, Eddy McGuire (s) would be proud of you, maybe you could have gone to an ad break before revealing all roll_lau roll_lau

Cheers
Chris

WOOHOO...finally a review on my car, only took 18 months to come across cheers!

Phasis,
I think you may like the following articles from Wheels magazine:
Hot Sorcery (323 Astina V6[?] vs S16)
Suite Sixteen (Brief 2 page drive pre-launch)
Some like it hot! (Lynx vs VTi-R vs SSS vs S16)
and the handling comparo,
Skaifey's Skid Marks - Handling '94. (He loves the S16!)

All fantastic articles on the beloved S16.

I got them by submitting a form off of the Wheels mag website. They wanted $6+ for each article. Thought that was average but when they arrived as B&W p/c of the original i was less then impressed. For the price they wanted I expected full colour. I don't have any dates for the original publication unforunately.

I could photocopy them for you and mail them if you like as I dont have a scanner. Maybe someone has the originals??

cheers head_ban

That is great. If you do send them to Phasis, I will get him to copy them and mail them to me also. $6 is a bit rich for a B\W. I wish I could get my hands on more road tests on the MI16!

Seeing we're on the subject of old reviews, there's a place in Melbourne where you can get old magazines, manuals, books, etc. They've got Wheels, (Modern) Motor, Car, Autocar (& Motor), Top Gear, Road & Track, etc.

Motor Book World is on Camberwell Rd, in the row of shops opposite the intersection with Canterbury Rd. Phone number's (03) 98132644 or (03) 9813 2127.

I got a few old copies (in brilliant condition) of Wheels for $4 each. Pretty interesting stuff down there, and reasonably priced as well.

Cheers,

Justin

Heheh cool, although I don't think they were serious it really stands for that.

BTW, how did the S16 go against the SSS, VTiR and Lynx?

cheers,
Adrian

cnrjunky - Email me at bradj@pmm.com.au and ill send you my postal address for those articles.

Do tell how the S16 went, I always knew it was a good car, but its really hard to thrash around other peoples SSS etc to compare.

I did have a fang in a work SSS...was very unimpressed. The engine was very lacking in torque low down and only really got interesting in the top 2000rpm, where the engine got very coarse.

It understeered at about 80% of the speeds I would take my car through the same corners and the interiour was basic black plastic. YUK!!!

More on 306 ride and handling:

This is taken from "Hot Sorcery", Wheels 9/94, 306 S16 vs Astina V6

"Cornering attitude adjustments are immediate and precise via the S16's throttle; you can run it wide, tighten it again, hike a wheel, write your initials, make an omelette, whatever. It doesn't ride 'up on the rim' like the Mazda does, and if one had to guess which car was on 16 inch, 50 series tyres (Mazda on Bridgestone RE010 205s) and which was on 15 inch, 55 series (Peugeot on Michelin Pilot 195s), one would get it wrong.

Another funny thing: if you'd driven both these cars on a racetrack, then had to guess which would have the better on-road ride, you'd probably guess wrong again. Most of the S16's dynamic aspects - grip and chassis responsiveness, firmer steering, more coarse and intrusive engine, suspension and wind noise - would point to its being a rough little rider. The Mazda has quite the air of opulence.

Surprising, therefore, that the Peugeot has it all over the Mazda for ride compliance and comfort, the latter losing out even further with more people aboard..."

Don't you just love Peugeots?! The S16 handled better on the track, and had a better ride on the road! dance

BTW, how did the S16 go against the SSS, VTiR and Lynx?
Wheels 2/96:
"Ultimately, the Civic is probably the better car, the easier drive, the better buy. 306 is more demanding, more involving, more passionate. One's a deal, the other an affair. A rare case of heads you win, hearts we lose."

There you have it. The SSS and Lynx nowhere near.

John Wright

Aah all this is making me warm and fuzzy. :)

I drove my neighbours VTiR Civic, blech.. the steering is as light as all hell, and so's the brake & clutch feel.

Might be a quick car, but not a very pleasant drive.

MMM...I am liking this. The first proper discussion on the merits of the S16's since my time here.

All I can say is ABOUT TIME!!! head_ban dance cheers!

<small>[ 01 August 2002, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Phasis ]</small>

/me raises glass to Phasis!

:)

Cheers,
Adrian