7mm Bolts!! Anyone!!!

R17G

Fellow Frogger
Does anyone know where I can get some new bolts to suit the R17(15TS/16) water pump? They are 7mm in diameter and the lenghts are 75mm, 60mm, and 40mm.
I have tried the bolts suppliers up this way and no luck. I have also tried a number of suppliers and none have new ones. Does anyone have some or know where I can get them? (I don't really want to tap it out to 8mm) Thanks.

Try Lee Bros. in Parramatta, Sydney. If they don't have them no-one will.

Why the problem in going to 8mm? Use helicoils and the problem of electrolytic reaction between the bolt and thread is minimised unlike just using as new bolt in the existing hole. I would be reluctant to use secondhand bolts based on the fact that they may be weakened from previously being moved, especially if you don't know their previous history, leading to the bolt snapping in a future water pump replacement.

I've never seen them being measured in a concours either :)

Still, you could try either French Connection or Caravelle Imports in Melbourne.

I had the same problem last week but picked up some from a local metal/welding supplies store in Tuggeranong, not that he had a great range of lengths. They are bloody near impossible to find and as we know are prone to corrode then snap...or are just easy to lose. Tapping the thing out might not be such a bum idea.

cheers!

If you want me to try and pick up what you need let me know how many of each size and I'll go back tomorrow. I am happy to express post them if they have the right lengths. cheers!

PeterT:
Try Lee Bros. in Parramatta, Sydney. If they don't have them no-one will.
Don't tell me they're still going!

And is the quaint old woman still there, uttering expert knowledge to ever enquiry?

As for not using second hand bolts, what a lot of rubbish! Japanese junk maybe, but not European stuff.

As for not using second hand bolts, what a lot of rubbish! Japanese junk maybe, but not European stuff.[/QB][/QUOTE]

The idiot responsible for the decision to use 7mm bolts on the pump should be enshrined in warmed over merde.

A lot of the bolts actually corrode to a point where they are weak. Being so skinny they will break incredibly easily, a point noted elsewhere on the forum.

Reusing them is a gamble, particularly if there is any sign at all of deterioration...and the chances of finding your whole set in pristine condition is fairly slight.

I reckon that water pump design on the 12 and 16 isn't all that brilliant. This is one bit of these vehicles which is just not robust.

As for the Japanese junk theory...I reckon it's had it's day.

cheers!

<small>[ 21 January 2003, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: BogMaster ]</small>

Ray Bell:
Not in the bolt department... they are like cheese when you put some tension on them!

Apart from a few like head bolts etc, I've always found them to be very weak compared to Pug bolts.
Well Ray that couldn't be as bad as the glorified 7mm pretzels the boys from Billancourt shoved on the water pumps...believe me.
dance

Originally posted by Ray Bell:
[QB]I don't mean second hand bolts that have half rusted away...

That's the point Ray...the bloody bolts almost always are in poor condition when removed. Some of them are quite long for their skinny dimensions and prone to snap under any kind of serious torque...any amount of corrosion on them spells trouble.

cheers!

Thanks Bogmaster, sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I need 1 x 75mm, 3x 60mm, and 3 x 40mm. I would really appreciate if you can pick some up for me some time.
Craig
p.s. Caravelle and French Connection don't have any.

Try an Italian/European motor bike shop: I was told Ducati motor bikes use them.

I bought 7mm bolts/nuts from Lee Bros.

con....

Originally posted by BogMaster
<strong>That's the point Ray...the bloody bolts almost always are in poor condition when removed. Some of them are quite long for their skinny dimensions and prone to snap under any kind of serious torque...any amount of corrosion on them spells trouble.
You ever seen the bolt that holds one side of the water pump on the Datsun 1600/180B/200B/Bluebird engine?

6mm, or maybe 5mm, and a good 70mm long. There's one to be careful with!

There's one longish bolt on 404/504/505 water pumps (7mm, of course) that can be a cause for worry, but I don't see why Renaults should have so much more trouble with them... surely the gasket keeps the water away?

"You have obviously never worked on the waterpump of a Renault 4/8/10/12/15/16/17!"

Or of course a 4CV or Dauphine. I've never broken one, or at least failed to find others secondhand. If I were planning to keep the car, I'd go for a helicoil solution, or just drilling and tapping a larger diameter.

If the car is not to be kept.... If only one is missing, does it really matter?

Has anyone used stainless steel bolts in this application?

JohnW

"... surely the gasket keeps the water away? "

Sorry Ray but it just doesn't seem to do that on a long term basis. I don't know if the particular combination of metals helps, but it is common to find crystalised coolant somewehere on some of the bolts.

At the risk of saying it again this is one bit of design that Asterix and his mob didn't do well.

The set up on the 18 motor looks a bit more robust, at least the bolts look to be bigger.

cheers!

It's alway been the long bolt that scares the willies out of me when undoing it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that at least one of the bolts actually passes through the coolant.

If I were you, I'd get them tapped out to 8mm, the peace of mind alone is worth it. Not to mention the fact that you can buy replacement bolts over the counter.

If reusing the 7mm bolts, (or even if using new ones!) make sure the threads ar clean and use plenty of "never-seize" for the next time :)

<small>[ 24 January 2003, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Europa ]</small>

Europa,

I'd agree re the long bolt and the size!

What do you suggest as an anti-seize compound?

JohnW

use either never seize (silver)
or
copper coat (bronze)
smear the stuff over the entire length of the bolt
i can vouch for never seize
we used it in harsher conditions (mining) than a water pump would ever go through and it always worked
also i had a friend of mine put some on the camshaft in his scorpion and still after many k's the stuff was still there
as for re using old bolts no matter what condition they are in it is always risky
bolts stretch and as we all know things can only stretch so far so many time before something snaps especially smaller diameter bolts
of course if you are lucky enough to get rolled thread bolts they are generally much stronger as the process to make them is much like forging as opposed to having a cut thread