604 gearbox's

MR604

Fellow Frogger
Just wondering whats involved in converting a 604 to a manual. I read through some past posts and from what I can understand is that a reasonbly straight forward job. mallet
The main queries I have are the following:

1) A BA10/5 or 7/5 would be the most suitable, would a BA7/4 handle the job.

2) What bellhousing and clutch would be required.

3) conversion of the pedal box and installation of a clutch slave cylinder

4) connection of the reversing lights

and anything else I haven't thought of :confused:

cheers!

It's all pretty straightforward as long as you have a bellhousing for a V6 to fit a BA10. A right hand drive bellhousing.

There was never a production bellhousing for a BA7.

I think you use all 504 pedals etc, the flywheel can come from a Volvo. If you can find one.

So it's probably easier to put up with the traumatic gearbox then? :(

cheers!

If I were you I would just keep my eye open for the components. Source them over a period, if you get to the point where you have all you need, great. If not, no great loss...

For instance, if you get a flywheel and clutch, but find the gearbox impossible, then you might look at the alternative of fitting some other gearbox.

Pick up a Volvo 264 auto bellhousing, get a Celica or Supra box, grab a 504 'link tube' and tail shaft and when you're ready just modify these bits to suit.

Get a plate made to adapt the box to the auto bellhousing, and make up a clutch operating mechanism within it. Get the adaptor made up to mate the back of the box to the link tube, get the right spline welded onto the shortened front of the 504 tail shaft.

One day it will all be ready and you can put it in.

you have to run a BA 10/4,5 box
if you aren't worried about power steering grab a LH drive bell housing
use 505 master and slave cylinders and clutch pedal
grab a flywheel when you get a bell housing
use 505 clutch and pressure plate
no mods needed to put the pedal in as the shaft is already there and you just pop the grommet out for the master cylinder
reversing lights are simple as the wiring is already there as well from the auto box
once you have a bell housing the box bolts straight in
really it's all too simple :D

I have a question on this topic..

Where would one get the bell housing and flywheel ?

Ben

Thanks guys, I'll try a few ovlov wreckers and see what i can find. The wreckers in Orange has 505's fairly often.

BTW Pugrambo you have a pm. deal

cheers!

Dont forget to jumper the park/neutral sensor wires, four to automajic two to manual. I forgot this step with my recent 505 conversion. Lights camera but no action. Late in the evening, go to bed, wake up during the night. Stupid, the car still thinks its an auto and is not getting a signal that it is in park or reverse. Get under put jumper wire between the two lights that did not activate the reverse lights. Hey presto, lights camera action.

cruiserman:
Dont forget to jumper the park/neutral sensor wires, four to automajic two to manual. I forgot this step with my recent 505 conversion. Lights camera but no action. Late in the evening, go to bed, wake up during the night. Stupid, the car still thinks its an auto and is not getting a signal that it is in park or reverse. Get under put jumper wire between the two lights that did not activate the reverse lights. Hey presto, lights camera action.
I had to do that on my 604 when the auto switch went. It used to start only if you held the key on start while you pulled the t bar from park to drive. On the way it would start if you were luky, otherwise you had to jiggle it between drive and neutral. Wiring it up was easier.

You have all overlooked an important part of the conversion and that is to remove most of the interior and cut a hole in the floor tunnel then put in a section of floor tunnel from a manual 504, with the cover plate to bolt in place, and locate in the right place to allow section of gears. No this is not a simple job. I have done a few and they are time consuming and tedious but they absolutely make the car, its really worth the effort.

Warren Gordon:
You have all overlooked an important part of the conversion and that is to remove most of the interior and cut a hole in the floor tunnel then put in a section of floor tunnel from a manual 504, with the cover plate to bolt in place, and locate in the right place to allow section of gears. No this is not a simple job. I have done a few and they are time consuming and tedious but they absolutely make the car, its really worth the effort.
i found the easiest thing to do here is to grab the part of the tunnel that screws into the 504 tunnel and use it as a template to cut the hole and then grab a jigsaw and cut the hole out
use a late model 504 or a 505 gear lever setup (the one that bolts to the floor of the car not the one that bolts onto the torque tube as they tend to rattle over time) and bolt the bracket in place once you know where it goes and then bolt the cover into place

takes about 1/2-3/4 of an hour to do this part of the job once you have the seats and the centre console out of the car

take measurements from the donor car and you will find you are extrememly close to where you need to cut and bolt

i have converted a couple of 604's and 504's auto's to manual

pugrambo:
i have converted a couple of 604's and 504's auto's to manual
My father did a 505 also. I'll ask him what it involved.

Btw, what's happening with the V6 extractors over there in NSW?

Cheers,
John Lane.

i was going to borrow the set from con but as yet i haven't been down to get them
i was going to get them the weekend of the redex re-run but i found a roo instead

I could pick them up if you want. I'd even be able to drop them out to you, It'd give me a reason to visit my mate at Narromine. Let me know if your interested in doing it that way.

cheers!

2 pugs:
I could pick them up if you want. I'd even be able to drop them out to you, It'd give me a reason to visit my mate at Narromine. Let me know if your interested in doing it that way.

cheers!
thanks for that
i have the car back together again
i just have to find time away from the business now and make a trip to sydney
i have a few other things i need to look at while i'm in sydney as well
i'll let you know how i go
once again thank you

Sean,

They are ready for you to borrow.

The way work is going, it doesn't look like I will be getting to Parkes any time soon.

con....

Could you use the flywheel off a 504? Also, could the Volvo auto bellhousing be made to fit the BA10/5 gearbox? Can the centre console be used with teh manual gearbox, or will I have to make another?
I am seriously considering a conversion on my 604, as I am not fond of autos, especially the 604 auto, and I would like to see the old girl back on the road.

Pugnut403:
Could you use the flywheel off a 504? Also, could the Volvo auto bellhousing be made to fit the BA10/5 gearbox? Can the centre console be used with teh manual gearbox, or will I have to make another?
I am seriously considering a conversion on my 604, as I am not fond of autos, especially the 604 auto, and I would like to see the old girl back on the road.
centre console is the same both auto and manual
only the surround is different around the lever