508 HDI Starting Problem

Greenute

Tadpole
Tadpole
First post on Aussie Frogs after many years of following.
My 2013 diesel 508 has an intermittent starting problem when cold. Usually fine but sometimes just cranks over without starting. There’s unburned fuel smell when cranking so I don’t think it’s the injectors. So far it has always started after a while. Could this be a glow plug issue? Any thoughts?

An RHH engine? Letters 6-7-8 of the VIN.

If it isn't fuelling then it is likely an air problem. That could be from a range of faults, (turbo, EGR, doseur valves, vacuum systems, sensors) so it would be helpful if you have any OBD error codes.

There are few places here so cold that the glow plugs do much. It isn't like the earlier indirect injection engines where you had to warm up a combustion chamber first. Is the problem only on very cold days, or is it first starts on ordinary or warm days?

It happened this morning so not really cold. EGR etc. has been sorted with help from HDI services (huge improvement in power and economy without the restriction) but it could be the vacuum line to the doseur valve which looked oil damaged. What does that do? Cheers

I'm surprised you removed or blocked the large RHH EGR unit at the front of the engine. It is pretty reliable. It is turned off for most of the drive.

Have a look at the doseur valve area. The vacuum diaphragm works the valve via a rod, which can come loose. The vacuum hose turns a right angle and pops onto a downturned tube. It gets oily, swells and pops off. Then again there might not be a vacuum in the tube.

These faults throw up a doseur position code. So a code read would be most helpful.

I’ll look at codes on the weekend. The right angle hose to the valve was loose when I made those changes a few months ago. Thanks

Read through this as it may at least give you something to eliminate ...
and this: