505 When the gearbox $hit$ itself.

luthier

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
This series 2 has been making a fair bit of gearbox noise but the other day it was hard to engage 2nd or 1st.

But then I took it out and it seemed to be bogging down and seizing in reverse.

Today i attempted to start it and it was like the engine was partially seized but then as soon as the clutch was pulled in it released.
With engine running without the clutch it makes a strong whining and this disappears with the clutch in.

So it's parked up and is scheduled to have the gearbox ripped out.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing? It seems it is just shy of having a catastrophic failure. I think bearings in there are way past their use by date. It's has over 400K though this shouldn't be curtains for a box, but in this case it seems it is.

I'm very interested in anyone else's experiences.

I have a second ba7/5 in my 505 sti - the whining and crunching at about 340000KM demanded a replacement box

I have one from a wreck of a gti that I’m
Keeping

C3 gearboxes had a bearing that went dry and whined with the clutch engaged at idle but became quiet with the clutch disengaged at idle. The shifting problem sounds worse and unrelated.

Bearings for BA7/5 boxes are obsolete now and very hard to find I have input main and layshaft bearings that I am repared to sell or can offer you an exchange fully recod box for $700

In forget which models had the BA 10 box and which ones had the BA 7.

Do you know which one it is, Luthier ?

The BA 7 is notorious for the roller bearing on the 5th gear shitting itself, but people like it because it has a lovely smooth change.

The BA 10 is a much stronger box and easier to get parts for, as they are used in other makes of car, like Land Rover.

They had (only rarely) a tendency to lock in gear, but not often at all.

Ian Robbos deal sounds good. You won't have the problem of getting a secondhand one and finding out that it is noisy and having to change it AGAIN.

Thanks , I have a good spare, just wondered about the symptoms.
I've never had such weird ones. Screaming at idle in neutral that goes quiet with the clutch depressed would indicate the front bearing to me as that spins with the motor turning, but then stops with clutch depressed.
Anyway I'll pull it out and have a gander. It has about 420K on it while my spare only has about 230K.
Thanks for the offer Robbo.

Agreed on that usually being a problem with the input shaft/bearing.

Another possibility might just be the gear linkages. If they are jammed in some odd configuration, you might have a synchro whining, trying to part-engage one of the gears. Goes silent when you step on the clutch.

Linkages might be able get into some sort of a mess if a collapsed engine mount leaves them sitting against some part of the tunnel. Difficulty getting 2nd and 1st also suggests linkages or maybe the selector shafts.

FWIW.

Have fun,

Rob.

Thanks , I have a good spare, just wondered about the symptoms.
I've never had such weird ones. Screaming at idle in neutral that goes quiet with the clutch depressed would indicate the front bearing to me as that spins with the motor turning, but then stops with clutch depressed.
Anyway I'll pull it out and have a gander. It has about 420K on it while my spare only has about 230K.
Thanks for the offer Robbo.
Hi luthier,when clutch engaged in neutral engine running input shaft,bearing between input and mainshaft,counter shaft and bearings,gears and gear roller bearings to mainshaft are all rotating at engine speed.so when clutch disengaged all of these will stop rotating,so could possibly be counter shaft bearings(only my opinion).....just a thought.....jim

In forget which models had the BA 10 box and which ones had the BA 7.

Do you know which one it is, Luthier ?

The BA 7 is notorious for the roller bearing on the 5th gear shitting itself, but people like it because it has a lovely smooth change.

The BA 10 is a much stronger box and easier to get parts for, as they are used in other makes of car, like Land Rover.

They had (only rarely) a tendency to lock in gear, but not often at all.

Ian Robbos deal sounds good. You won't have the problem of getting a secondhand one and finding out that it is noisy and having to change it AGAIN.

BA10 not that good, they had a shocking reputation in American Jeeps.
Apart from a diff breaking problem in the earlier boxes (haven't seen this happen for many years though) the Front Wheel Drive boxes seem to be unbreakable.

Hi luthier,when clutch engaged in neutral engine running input shaft,bearing between input and mainshaft,counter shaft and bearings,gears and gear roller bearings to mainshaft are all rotating at engine speed.so when clutch disengaged all of these will stop rotating,so could possibly be counter shaft bearings(only my opinion).....just a thought.....jim

Thanks Jim, that's exactly what I'm thinking. If these bearings are truly unobtanium as Robbo suggests I guess this box will be consigned to the tip. I find that very hard to believe though as needle rollers come in every size imaginable, I know because I've just been getting a set for my forthcoming Hurdy Gurdy. We shall see in due course.

An ancient musical instrument?

Last edited:
Reputedly the first mechanical musical instrument. Supposed to date back to the 12thCentury. There's a wheel that is rotated by a turning handle. This wheel has violin Rosin rubbed on it and strings ride over this and are thus 'bowed' mechanically. There is a keybox arrangement which is mounted around the melody strings with wooden slats that effectively block the string at tonal points such that it can be played chromatically. As well there are drone strings that can be ebgaged or not and for special effect there is the 'Trompette' string which rides on a small bone bridge that is pivoted and can buzz on a bone plate inlaid into the soundboard.
When the wheel is turned with a slight increase in speed this Trompette string is activated and the result is rather like a kazoo with a percussive impact.
There are further complexities with sympathetic strings and multiple trompettes etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwyznoWJDHI
Mine is only yet a shell. OK I'll put up pics when it has progressed somewhat.
There's a recent evolution of the instrument too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0DrXyzlHM8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I67UexqArvY

Last edited:
Curiosity got the better of me back in the late 1960s when Donavan's hit - Hurdy Gurdy Man came out. The song, not making any sense whatsoever, forced me to find out what the heck "hurdy gurdy", meant.