505 steering rack query

pontarriere

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
My power steering is leaking like crazy and I'm thinking of going back to non-assisted steering. The manual says that the 505 manual rack has 4.5 turns lock to lock and the power assisted rack 3 or 3.4 turns. The 504 rack also has 4.5 turns - are the 504 and 505 racks interchangeable?

Dont do it , the manual rack requires a lot of wheel work and is not a pleasant driving experience, Why not just fix the leaks.
How ever if you must proceed.
The racks are interchangeable , in that they bolt to the cross member .
The differences are that the 505 has longer tie rods then the 504 , with different inner joint arrangement. To use a 504 rack in a 505 you will need 604 tie rods.
The steering shaft is a different length between power steer and non power steer.

Where is the leak from? 'Pressurised' or non pressure circuit? Mine leaked from the feed pipe under the bottle when I got it & main issue was finding a new pipe of correct diameter - Peugeot seem to use sizes no one else does!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont do it , the manual rack requires a lot of wheel work and is not a pleasant driving experience, Why not just fix the leaks.
How ever if you must proceed.
The racks are interchangeable , in that they bolt to the cross member .
The differences are that the 505 has longer tie rods then the 504 , with different inner joint arrangement. To use a 504 rack in a 505 you will need 604 tie rods.
The steering shaft is a different length between power steer and non power steer.
is the difference in length too significant to adjust with the outer ball-joints?
i sold a 505 power steering to a friend with 504 and he didn't have issues.

Thanks for the advice guys - I think I'll tackle the leaks and stick with the p/s.

Hi

Definitely stick with the power steering, it's not a hard job to replace the seals and they are usually readily available, you can also easily replace the bearings while you are at it.

Regards
Neil

is the difference in length too significant to adjust with the outer ball-joints?
i sold a 505 power steering to a friend with 504 and he didn't have issues.

It is much easier to cut an inch off rather then add an inch on .

?? Why not abandon the power assistance & have a quicker rack which would now have more feel of what the contact patches are doing? It's hardly going to be horrendously heavy.

cheers! Peter

But that depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I'd rather fix what's already there than go to the trouble of sourcing and fitting an unassisted rack as the extra feedback wouldn't be worth the trouble.

But that depends on what you're looking for. Personally, I'd rather fix what's already there than go to the trouble of sourcing and fitting an unassisted rack as the extra feedback wouldn't be worth the trouble.

??

He currently has a power assisted "quick rack" fitted to his 505 but the pump is leaky. Minimum pain path is to simply not fix that (disconnect & remove the power pump if one wants).

What's then left is a non assisted "quick" rack. Feedback is one merit of non powered steering but, in this decision scenario, another point is that the existing rack has less arm twirling than the regular non powered rack he's contemplating.

(A colleague had a 504 injection in the 70s & I had a fang on dirt in it. A good dirt car except that the steering was stupidly slow & that became irritating when moving the car around a bit.)

cheers! Peter

All I can report is that when manoeuvring my 505 wagon (unloaded) up the steep ramp into my driveway & the engine stalls the steering becomes mega-heavy, personally wouldn't want it like that 100% of the time. Rob

Thanks for the advice guys - I think I'll tackle the leaks and stick with the p/s.
I had a leak in one of my 505s years ago and someone suggested trying Power Steering Stop Leak first. It worked!

I can't remember if it was Nulon or Lucas, but I stumbled upon the old bottle while reorganizing the shed on the weekend, so I can easily check if necessary.

I had a leak in one of my 505s years ago and someone suggested trying Power Steering Stop Leak first. It worked!

I can't remember if it was Nulon or Lucas, but I stumbled upon the old bottle while reorganizing the shed on the weekend, so I can easily check if necessary.

Anyone had any experience, +ve or -ve, with the 'Liquid Intelligence' stuff that's heavily promoted in all the classic car mags?

Not me.

But off topic - Just noticed your fleet list. Bristol 401. Very envious.

Hi Baldrick: I'm sick of waiting for someone else to give a report on this stuff so am biting the bullet after easter and purchasing some of the "L. I.stop leak" gunk for our '84 505 STi with only 163K. Has leak at the timing case as well as THAT spot at rear of head. Will give a report after a few weeks.

Not me.

But off topic - Just noticed your fleet list. Bristol 401. Very envious.

Yes, it needs 'work' - frighteningly complicated in the bodywork, steel tubular spaceframe on steel box chassis, all clad in aircraft grade aluminium. I'm hoping there's not too much to do body / chassis wise but it does need a full mechanical rebuild + a rewire. & it'll have to wait until after the Traction Avant is going again.

I have had an amazing result using the Lucas stop leak product. My 505 was leaking and needing constant toping up. I didn't have time to look at it so got a bottle of the Lucas stuff. Since using the Lucas stuff I've now done 20-30k kms and no fluid loss.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Well finally, finally, after Olympic-level procrastination I've bought two bottles of 'Liquid Intelligence.'

cannot report too much (good or bad) yet as its early days - also haven't done what I'd initially planned (now will need to buy some more - Doh). So far about 60mL has gone in the power steering of the 505 - it had a leak & the garagiste stripped down the pump & put in a new 'O' ring, but of course there's other seals - level mysteriously dropped after that episode but currently holding.

About the same amount's gone into the power steering of the MG - similar mysterious level drop in the recent past.

half a litre's gone into the engine of the MG - no leak but it just had an oil change as the LI bottles arrived & I reasoned for maximum value (10,000kM) it should go in at this stage. The 'K' series is a relatively complex unit, relying a lot on oil pressure to activate & de-activate the variable valve-timing, any leaks here might not necessary be evident in oil coming out of the engine but sure as hell will sap the performance. Done a few hundred kMs now and what I've noticed is that where previously there was a slight clatter at idle (from the hydraulic tappets I'm guessing), that's all but disappeared. Engine noise is crisper throughout the rev range. Wanted to treat the gearbox similarly but my drain plug key snapped in half when I tried to undo the thing :trouslap:

Yet to effect introduction of the LI to the rear axles of 404 & 505, to say nothing of the Roadster.

Happy fixing,

Balders