4CV Barn find

What a cute little cutie!

That is properly cool, Dave.

Is that a crack free bakelite steering wheel? That would be absolutely mind blowing. I would drop everything and drool over that a little bit.

The only thing that would top that would be probably a Fiat 500 Abarth Assetto Corse in a similar state.
Yes, almost worth it for that steering wheel alone. Must catch up as my 1950 4CV also has a perfect steering wheel - this one of Dave's is about 3 months younger than mine, built within about one month of the R1062 (750) superceding the first R1060 (760) model in September 1950. It's an amazing find!

De luxe! Wow. Now we're talkin'.

Still, a very cute little automobile. Imagine it in pastel baby blue and white.
Only if you want to destroy its originality and make a Saigon taxi, I'd suggest. We can find others that are already molested for that... :) Actually, we have one such replica in the Register, in NSW.

You think the original paint is salvageable? Might be onto something there. I think diminutive cars like these should have light and soft colours. Even at the cost of originality (within reason).

You think the original paint is salvageable? Might be onto something there. I think diminutive cars like these should have light and soft colours. Even at the cost of originality (within reason).
It just might be you know. Fingers crossed. If most of the paint is OK, it might be worth preserving with a bit of clear lacquer over any bare patches. Of course I think David has as much impetus to polish a car as I have but we'd both be up to washing the dust off to check!! The early 4CVs were mostly dark colours except for a mid-grey and a pale blue. His family has ALL that info! :) We have 3 pale blue ones in Perth, and a nice apple green one.

It's also old enough to have been repainted before being consigned to the shed. We'll find out ere long!

dont know what the delux inclusions were some chrome bit maybe

dont know what the delux inclusions were some chrome bit maybe
My 1950 car, just 3 months younger than David's, does not have the aluminium trim strips on the doors or along the bonnet. The "running board" moulding along from rear mudguards below the doors was painted on mine but is chrome on David's. Mine is a "luxe" I think. His is one grade higher. I really don't know what the other extras might have been. It's not as if there were many options in post-war 1950. My upholstery seems to have been the same as David's, so we both have imported RHD cars from Billancourt, not locally-assembled cars. That is consistent with Ira Berk being the agent for NSW and Q'ld, with SA and Vic cars being imported (partly or fully) at that time.

Mine being an Adelaide car, it was sold by the (then) City Tractors, later the less ridiculous Franklin Motors. That showroom is still there!

Attachments

• City Tractors _stitch.jpg
    City Tractors _stitch.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Different grille in the ad. Base model, perhaps?
That's observant! The ad seems to be a not too good image of one of the pre-production cars. They made 43 cars before the production line and all the presses were set up and they were just a bit different in several ways (much smaller bumpers, more louvres at the back and headlamps in little nacelles, for example). The rims are slightly different too. Unfortunately none are known to have survived but there are plenty of photos.

Here's one of the factory photos. It'd be 1946 or maybe 1947.
Renault photo of preserie car.jpg

So what's the plans for it Dave? Restore, keep original Patina or Rat Rod it ? :)

No idea yet. I've been working on the Dacia, got the diff all painted and have been assembling all the rear suspension and brakes to go back on so Paul has a rolling shell he can paint.
It's precious and rare. I reckon you know what to do, given the perfect approach to the Gordini..... :) I though my car was the oldest R1062 around but yours is that much closer to the start of production.

Of course it's yours to mess with. :)

It's precious and rare. I reckon you know what to do, given the perfect approach to the Gordini..... :) I though my car was the oldest R1062 around but yours is that much closer to the start of production.

Of course it's yours to mess with. :)
Problem is it's just not worth it. I have no regrets spending the money on the Gordini but this is only a 4cv.
I will start with the wheels and get it rolling first. I'll get the rims sand blasted and repainted (as soon as I can work out what color there meant to be) so it can be moved, then I'll wash it and see what it's like.

Problem is it's just not worth it. I have no regrets spending the money on the Gordini but this is only a 4cv.
I will start with the wheels and get it rolling first. I'll get the rims sand blasted and repainted (as soon as I can work out what color there meant to be) so it can be moved, then I'll wash it and see what it's like.
You're certainly right there! Another reason not to restore it but just get it going and clean it up. I've certainly never restored mine! Even getting it painted probably exceeded its value, but that was love. On a good day with a following wind you might get a 4CV up to $20K and you only need one buyer. We get the occasional enquiry for original cars in the 4CV Register. One sold recently with an asking price of $28K but I don't know the sale price.

The one pain with the early cars is the lever action shock absorbers and the seals on them. The seals are a standard size but the dismantling isn't remotely fun. The shockers are adequate if full.

I'm still amazed by this find but I'm easily excited I suppose!

Some of the early cars had a pale khaki sort of colour for the wheels, similar to the inside window retaining mouldings. Next time I'm feeling active I'll check whether any of it is visible on mine and let you know. Steve might have early rims with that paint on it?

No idea yet. I've been working on the Dacia, got the diff all painted and have been assembling all the rear suspension and brakes to go back on so Paul has a rolling shell he can paint.
I remember the Dacia when it was going. Will be great to see it back on the road. Nice one.

I remember the Dacia when it was going. Will be great to see it back on the road. Nice one.
When it looked like this, about 1997 I think.

What do your think, I'm thinking of painting it daffodil yellow and same livery as the 8G. As a service vehicle.

Attachments

• Dacia ute.jpg
    Dacia ute.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 133
  • 8g in driveway 2.jpg
    8g in driveway 2.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 127
I reckon more....

Attachments

• vintage-car-police-communist-period-dacia-militia-parade-cars-bucharest-romania-79016469.jpg
    vintage-car-police-communist-period-dacia-militia-parade-cars-bucharest-romania-79016469.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 118