407 tyre valves (pressure sensing) $300ea?

Some of these have a replaceable valve stem, which might have been the trouble. If so, you can get them from the UK very cheaply.

I am aware that modern cars are safer but, all things considered, I'm not persuaded to use one personally & the above remarks reinforce that. (I like my cars "raw".)

My car use rotates among my four toys (youngest 1979, oldest 1958): Moke, Djet, R8 & 4CV. Despite my best efforts (2 have roll cages, 3 have 4-point harnesses, each has very careful attention to suspension modifications & tyre choice) I realise that, despite their exemplary primary safety (short of ABS which I'd retrofit if I could) I have much less chance of surviving a crash than in a modern car. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying driving them & not being irritated by the attempted replacement for my autonomous judgement which seems part of modern vehicles.

YMMV, Peter

I am aware that modern cars are safer but, all things considered, I'm not persuaded to use one personally & the above remarks reinforce that. (I like my cars "raw".)

My car use rotates among my four toys (youngest 1979, oldest 1958): Moke, Djet, R8 & 4CV. Despite my best efforts (2 have roll cages, 3 have 4-point harnesses, each has very careful attention to suspension modifications & tyre choice) I realise that, despite their exemplary primary safety (short of ABS which I'd retrofit if I could) I have much less chance of surviving a crash than in a modern car. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying driving them & not being irritated by the attempted replacement for my autonomous judgement which seems part of modern vehicles.

YMMV, Peter

A few years back a mate had a restored Moke - Cooper S 1310 motor and no weight meant it went pretty well. It was only when we were driving along and I realised I had my hand on the petrol filler cap that I realised how far modern car design had come.

We always had a laugh in it though as we felt a lot safer wearing our helmets when driving in it !

Cheers

Justin

When I realised how far above the plane connecting the highest front/rear points I stuck up, I designed & commissioned a well-braced
full cage made from heavy gauge aluminium tube (scaffolding tube). Even so, it's light & a warmish single DCOE 1330 engine motivates it well enough.

I rather like being able to reach across & check that I haven't left the fuel cap at the petrol station. I also have a marked wooden stick as an accurate fuel gauge (memories of the Series ll A Land Rovers I drone in the army & their "petrol gauge" dip sticks). Not a lot can go wrong with a wooden stick & I don't even need a part # to replace it :)

cheers! Peter

When I realised how far above the plane connecting the highest front/rear points I stuck up, I designed & commissioned a well-braced full cage made from heavy gauge aluminium tube (scaffolding tube). Even so, it's light & a warmish single DCOE 1330 engine motivates it well enough.

I rather like being able to reach across & check that I haven't left the fuel cap at the petrol station. I also have a marked wooden stick as an accurate fuel gauge (memories of the Series ll A Land Rovers I drove in the army & their "petrol gauge" dip sticks). Not a lot can go wrong with a wooden stick & I don't even need a part # to replace it :)

cheers! Peter

For the record (for those who break theirs in future) , I purchased 4 replacement valve stems for total $11.53 delivered 2 weeks from China. They are identical to those used in Chrysler/Dodge vehicles so are produced by the tens of thousand on a daily basis.