407 tyre valves (pressure sensing) $300ea?

callipygous

Fellow Frogger
Posting this for Peter who was putting air in his tyres this week. He had some difficulty getting the petrol station hose off, giggled it a bit and it broke. Great, the mugs at Peugeot made them out of cast alloy, presumebly to cut cost then put a lofty $300 price tag on them!

So, he put the spare on. Car squeeles at him every time he goes to drive it now. So evidently you need the special valves to stop it from screaming at you. He's going to attempt to repair the valve but does anyone know a way around paying $300 for one?

Btw. is this pricing reflected throughout all the new peugeots?

?

Posting this for Peter who was putting air in his tyres this week. He had some difficulty getting the petrol station hose off, giggled it a bit and it broke. Great, the mugs at Peugeot made them out of cast alloy, presumebly to cut cost then put a lofty $300 price tag on them!

So, he put the spare on. Car squeeles at him every time he goes to drive it now. So evidently you need the special valves to stop it from screaming at you. He's going to attempt to repair the valve but does anyone know a way around paying $300 for one?

Btw. is this pricing reflected throughout all the new peugeots?

I thought that it was great when I had a flat and put the spare on, to find out that the spare has no pressure sensor, however a flashing message warned me of this fact. The fact is that Peugeot was too cheap to fit a sensor to the spare!:confused: Though I can see the reasoning, it is to keep the price down on an $80000 odd on the road car :nownow:.

I'm of the opinion that if you can't tell when your tyre pressures are down you're not driving hard enough.

A repair kit is available for the 407 (which is essentially just the valve, bolt, ring and cap) - part number is "541205".

There is no way it should cost $300 - I think you probably got quoted for the electronic sensor itself (which includes above parts).

And yes, the electronic sensor is not fitted on the spare wheel (should be mentioned in the owner's manual, IIRC).

EDIT - the reason why the system is in fault mode is because it can't detect the one of the sensors. It knows this because the sensors are built in with a motion detector.

EDIT 2 - whenever the sensor itself is removed from the wheel for whatever reason, it is highly recommended to fit a new valve and bolt.

He was given the part no. 5430T4.

According to the dealership, there are two styles. One you can replace the valve and sensor separately, the other you have to buy the whole unit. Is this correct? Oh, and he supposedly has the one where you have to buy the whole unit.

He was given the part no. 5430T4.

According to the dealership, there are two styles. One you can replace the valve and sensor separately, the other you have to buy the whole unit. Is this correct? Oh, and he supposedly has the one where you have to buy the whole unit.

5430T4 is indeed the part no. for the sensor.

In my mind, the presence of a repair kit would logically indicate that valve and related parts can be replaced separately, for the type as fitted on 407 models anyway.

High tech nightmare

Reading all of this I am glad I am too broke to update my Pugs...
It reminds me of Cds vs the now ancient LP records. Or come to think of it, VHS tapes vs DVDs

A crappy old LP would play, just badly. But a crappy CD doesn't play at all.

A bit like a Pug 406 that won't bloody start because the computer keeps reading problems..... so I can't even drive it to the repairer!!

The more sensors and high tech things added to new cars, means heaps more to go wrong when they are getting old.

I wonder how many people will disconnect their tyre pressure sensors when the warranty period is long over and the price of spares is still ridiculous.

A while ago I have a 2006 RAV4 with a seatbelt alarm for the front passenger seat. Problem was it kept going off when 15kg of shopping was on the seat. So I simply cut the wire to the sensor........

Reading all of this I am glad I am too broke to update my Pugs...
It reminds me of Cds vs the now ancient LP records. Or come to think of it, VHS tapes vs DVDs

A crappy old LP would play, just badly. But a crappy CD doesn't play at all.

A bit like a Pug 406 that won't bloody start because the computer keeps reading problems..... so I can't even drive it to the repairer!!

The more sensors and high tech things added to new cars, means heaps more to go wrong when they are getting old.

I wonder how many people will disconnect their tyre pressure sensors when the warranty period is long over and the price of spares is still ridiculous.

The pressure sensors are operated by a lithium battery, which should give an approximate life of 10 years.

But the electronics are encased in resin to reduce vibrations, so I imagine much fiddling and cursing will be needed if you attempt to replace it (like this bloke).

I suppose you could remove the sensors and replace it with conventional valves, but you'll need a diagnostic computer turn the tyre pressure monitor function off, otherwise the car will be forever telling you there's something wrong with the sensors.

Not to say this is an issue exclusive to Peugeot - lots of vehicle manufacturers worldwide use the same system from the same company or similar.

A while ago I have a 2006 RAV4 with a seatbelt alarm for the front passenger seat. Problem was it kept going off when 15kg of shopping was on the seat. So I simply cut the wire to the sensor........

Why not just do up the seatbelt beforehand?

I'm sure if he could cut the wire to the damn sensor that makes the car squeel at you whenever you open the drivers door with keys in the ignition. Unnecesssry and bloody annoying.

Shobbz: the standard Peugeot brake pads are awful. I drove it and the brakes bit excessively even with very slight pressure. Don't run the stock pads, they'll wear the disc rotors in no time.

photo

Are yours identical?

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 599
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 565
Shobbz: the standard Peugeot brake pads are awful. I drove it and the brakes bit excessively even with very slight pressure. Don't run the stock pads, they'll wear the disc rotors in no time.

But where to get an alternative? And will others squeal?

Salman: No idea, I've not seen the black box in the photo, just a tiny valve looking thing. Does the black box sit in the tyre?

Shobbz: Disctek was the brand that Peter used. They don't dust at all, the wheels stay cleaner a lot longer and I have never heard them squeal. They feel a lot better as they don't bite in and grind, but have a definite feel.

I'm sure that plenty of other options are available, too. I'd wager that just about any after market pad would be better than the ones that came standard on his 407. They felt awful! I've never felt brakes that bad.

Just an aside, I bought a tube of copper slip the other week. On the packet it claimed that applying it to the backside of a squealing brake pad would help eliminate the squealing. Haven't ever tried it, as I've never had a problem with brakes squealing on anything I've owned, but I thought I'd keep it in mind in case something of that nature develops.

Why not just do up the seatbelt beforehand?

Yeap could do that..... but it was bloody annoying....

I understand having one for the driver, but the passenger...... not needed....

Also you don't have to wear a seat belt off road or if you are travelling under 25km on road (in Vic)..

I sold it anyway and bought a 406...... :wink2:

Sensor is inside tyre,so get deflate and press in outer sidewall,it is held by screw thread on valve stem,go to a tyre shop that knows what they are doing as while pushing sidewall in with pneumatic machine i have seen them ripping sensors.

This is perfectly correct. There is no sensor on the spare and the computer will squeal at you if you don't have a sensor on all four tyres. One amendment though, I have just been quoted $600 at the Peugeot dealer here in the ACT for one sensor. A pack of four OEM ones is available from the UK for $154. The Peugeot dealers in Australia are a disgrace.