407 HDi rough idle

Hi to all who have looked, and wondered, at my issue/s. Now that the new member 'syd-c4gp' has reopened this thread from about 9 yrs ago, perhaps it's best to let y'all know the end result. After going to the Lismore dealer back in about March '14 it was taken to a Coffs mechanic who works on Euro cars, and Subarus, for the second time. He had initially scanned and reported the faulty #1 injector which was swapped with #3 to see what happened. At the time of having a 2nd look he was also looking at another RHR engined Peug. He found that #1 injector was still the problem, so we knew it wasn't the injector. After several starts and some thinking he came to the conclusion that the wife's beloved 407 had a compression issue, which he could hear by the way it started.

Drove it home and started looking for info on UK Peug sites and etc. No evidence of comp problems anywhere and no one agreed with the compression diagnosis. The Lismore lads said it goes too well to be a comp issue and I concurred. After giving up on trying to find any enlightening opinions and having no luck in getting Peug Aust interested I took to working on the dark side of the engine to remove the #1 glow plug so a comp test hose could be fitted. Damned if I know how an ex bus mechanic could have such sensitive ears, but he was right as there was evidence of a small leak from 1 of the inlet valves. My theory then and now is that a small part of the thin clip used to hold something to the valve is wedged somewhere and keeping the valve from seating fully.

With a spare car to drive before getting an auto 308 HDi with RHR engine, the old 407 enjoyed the peace and quiet of the Coffs hinterland and still does. With grand kids getting close to driving age it may get a rebirth one day. Que Sera Sera. Thanks for all the help and all the very best to y'all for the soon to be upon us Festive Season ! Cheers

i had a frend with a 407 ,that had a fault with the fuel pre heater located behind the engine on the drivers side it was leaking fuel and eventualy ccaught fire ,im thinking this may be the cause of your smoke and could posibly be causing the injectors that require most presure to ,fail ,this chould have been picked up by the places you have taken it, but ,the trend seems to be to consult the ecu rather that visual inspection ,also thinking a fuel leak would be obviouse because of the smell .

Hi pugwash, re my wife's 407 auto HDi - as posted yesterday that car was proven to have a compression issue as explained. There was never any thought of fuel leak/s, and the first trusted mech advised that his scan tool showed an over fueling #1 injector. The over-fueling injector did so because that is how the ECU compensated for the compression issue in #1 cylinder. From recent chats it is known that incidences of RHR injectors failing is very rare, if not even rarer.