308 2.0 Hdi Starting Problem and Parasitic drain

sky-angel

Tadpole
One week ago it would not start, cranking OK. One hour later it started fine.
Yesterday, again, no start, tried several times during the day. Checked for air leaks in fuel line, all good, cracked injector pipes - fuel OK, but no start.
This morning, planning to replace fuel filter and check everything again, BUT it started and drove normally.
(There is a parasitic 0.44A drain on the battery caused by the audio RD4. This requires us to charge the battery some nights until we can sort the audio)
Can anyone assist with the starting issue please? Also, your comments on the audio are very welcome.

Which engine please? Letters 6,7,& 8 of the VIN is the engine code (eg RHR).

1/2 hour later, it starts normally and runs normally 5kms, parked and locked. We'll see tomorrow. Could this be an intermittent fuel cut solenoid or connection?

Thanks dmccurtayne, there seems to be no issue with cranking. Do you think that can be related?

1/2 hour later, it starts normally and runs normally 5kms, parked and locked. We'll see tomorrow. Could this be an intermittent fuel cut solenoid or connection?

Thanks dmccurtayne, there seems to be no issue with cranking. Do you think that can be related?
Sorry missed that my bad. Does the taco lift when it’s not starting

Sorry missed that my bad. Does the taco lift when it’s not starting

Yes, I recall the tacho lifting while cranking but I can't get it to fail just now.

Drove it twice last night, normally, but on the second trip I did experience two 'violent' misfires lasting a second or less when accelerating from stopped. Again, another misfire at constant speed.

I decided to change the fuel filter (the car was only serviced 600 km ago). The filter housing internal was covered with a brown muck and a small piece of plastic was found inside. I'm not sure if the filter element tells a story.
Fuel filter debris and element.JPG

See image of the debris and element section.
I'll see how the car performs on the weekend.

Misfires are still happening.
Observation: If the cruise control is in use, a misfire turns it off and scrambles it. I can then still use the speed limiter but another misfire scrambles that also. Both cruise and limiter do reset with ignition off.
There seems to be no signal from the data port (the fuse F9 is good and has power with ignition on). I only have a generic OBD2.
(There is still the 0.4A parasitic drain at the RD4- ordered a replacement RD4)
Any comment please?

Really need to get it on a decent scan tool to see the live data. They have a common problem of the fuel pressure reg on the pump failing. Usually when this is at fault it will have a slight hesitation before accelerating from take off. I mean really slight. They then show your symptoms as they deteriorate further.

Really need to get it on a decent scan tool to see the live data. They have a common problem of the fuel pressure reg on the pump failing. Usually when this is at fault it will have a slight hesitation before accelerating from take off. I mean really slight. They then show your symptoms as they deteriorate further.
Thanks cav91. Agreed. I think I noticed a slight hesitation as you described, unfortunately I'm not over familiar with this 308, despite having had Peugeots for 40 years. Much Peugeot knowledge and sympathy remains undetected in Hervey Bay. The dealer I do respect is at Nambour, about 200 km South, but I will get there.

Again, the car would not start at all yesterday and again this morning until I tried the other key. I noticed I have two different keys, the one with the longer slot started the car immediately. (????) IMG_0937 (Mobile).JPG After that the short slot key worked also. Am I nuts?

Summarising the issues:
  1. Parasitic voltage drain associated with RD4 (seems intermittent and perhaps unrelated to the other faults).
  2. Car fails to start (randomly)- cranks OK, tacho rises while cranking. An hour later, starts normally.
  3. Misfires seemingly at random.
  4. Misfiring scrambles cruise control or speed limiter if either is in use. (resets with ignition off)
  5. No signals from data port. Zero voltage from pin 16. (12v front outlet is also dead, fuses are OK and powered)
Thanks again cav91, might it be a good idea to replace the fuel pressure regulator? Repairing the data port would be a priority I expect.

One thing I have struck with these I’m not saying yours but a lazy starter can cause this I’ve had it on 307 and 308 2l diesels and once a v6 HDi under warranty it stuck us and the platform( psa France) had us replace Hp injectors because it kept coming up with random misses and fuel pressure problems I
argued that it seemed a little slow hardly noticeable threw a dart and fixed it after 2-3 months in the shop I never got stung by one again. It’s hardly noticeable you need the same car next to it to tell the difference maybe make a video of the fault and put it here and I will have a listen.

One thing I have struck with these I’m not saying yours but a lazy starter can cause this I’ve had it on 307 and 308 2l diesels and once a v6 HDi under warranty it stuck us and the platform( psa France) had us replace Hp injectors because it kept coming up with random misses and fuel pressure problems I
argued that it seemed a little slow hardly noticeable threw a dart and fixed it after 2-3 months in the shop I never got stung by one again. It’s hardly noticeable you need the same car next to it to tell the difference maybe make a video of the fault and put it here and I will have a listen.

Hi dmc, I have a video but unsure how to get it to you (15Mb). The .vmc extension is not permitted.
The short slot key would not start it but the long slot one did so immediately.

Strip the video off, and leave the audio and the file size will reduce a great deal. Audio is also compressible to formats like mp3.
(VLC, ffmpeg, etc have this ability).

Last edited:
Hi dmc, I have a video but unsure how to get it to you (15Mb). The .vmc extension is not permitted.
The short slot key would not start it but the long slot one did so immediately.
The long slot key is original French cut the other is a copy those keys do fail. But you would assume the oldest would first. Also there is two fuses for the power socket

Strip the video off, and leave the audio and the file size will reduce a great deal. Audio is also compressible to formats like mp3.
(VLC, ffmpeg, etc have this ability).
Hi seasink, I now have an MP3 file (125 KB) to attach but the forum accepts only zip txt pdf png jpg jpeg jpe gif. Is there a way forward?

If you have a website or repository to store it, upload and post a link.

Otherwise try an experiment.

We need the filetype to be something that is accepted, like zip, that is not an image. So zip it.Perhaps change the mp3 extension to zip as well. Open a conversation with dmccurtayne (click his avatar image) and attach the zip file. Warn him what's in it. I suspect the forum software only looks at extensions. I can't vouch it will succeed, but see what happens.

If that fails there is always a short term posting of the file in Media (see menu bar above)

The long slot key is original French cut the other is a copy those keys do fail. But you would assume the oldest would first. Also there is two fuses for the power socket
Thanks dmc, found a blown F2/15A (Diag Socket, Daytime lights) on top of the battery.

I also suspect the cheap key RFID chip is not recognised each time and the original works as designed.
We have been using the original non button keys for months as original flip key buttons no longer function.
I have bought new case and internals to get the remote locking working once again but made sure the 2 original keys have stayed programmed as back up for this reason.