306 S16 Pricing?

WRCPUG

Fellow Frogger
A friend of mine is looking at getting a Pug i suggested a S16.

What are the prices these cars go for these days?

You should expect to pay $13,000 - $18,000, however I have seen quite a range in quality.

There are a number of things your mate should look at before buying. If he finds one I'll go into it later...no doubt with Chris' help :)

Brad:
You should expect to pay $13,000 - $18,000, however I have seen quite a range in quality.
I thought you could get a good GTI6 for $18k these days.

Cal.

I have seen only only for $20,000 and all others were 25-30k

S16's in SA are advertised for between $14k and maybe up to $18 for an absolute peach. There are quite a few in SA with low mileage, e.g. one is for sale at the moment for $18.5 (!) with 66k on the clock, full leather & sunroof. Most GTI6's in SA are still in the mid-20's although are dropping fast....when I bought my S16 18 months ago you couldn't find a GTI6 for under $27k, now they start at $19-20k. Taylors Peugeot would ask $16-17k for a good S16, and they don't usually have much trouble selling them.

As a S16 owner, i seriously suggest he has a serious look at whathe wants to do with the car first. Is it to modify, to race, to keep stock, as a weekend warrior or as a everday car.
Then buy the best car that fills his needs, otherwise he could end up disapointed.
Its my opinion that for an everyday car thats awesome fun, and the overall best package, a 306 XSi N5(97 or later) suits best. prices are from $13 to $20 for a late 2002 model, and mind full of K's.
If he wants to modify it and put fruti bits on it like me and wants plenty of go then a S16 fills this void best. prices from $12 for a Series 1 with high K's ie above 140,000. to $18 for a mint low K's ie less than 60,000.
But if he wants to keep the car stock and still have plenty of fun, tell him to save and get a GTi-6, no doubt its the King of the 306's.
Weve seen them on this board for a low as $19,000, but expect to pay $22-28K, for a mint one with low k's. Or if money streches, a used Clio Sport, ranging from $28-$34,000.

cheers chris

CHRI'S16:
a 306 XSi N5(97 or later) suits best. prices are from $13 to $20 for a late 2002 model, and mind full of K's.
Chris,
I wish... mine did have below average k's though.

Derek.

DeKa:
CHRI'S16:
a 306 XSi N5(97 or later) suits best. prices are from $13 to $20 for a late 2002 model, and mind full of K's.
Chris,
I wish... mine did have below average k's though.

Derek.
how much did you pay derek, was it round the $18 mark,..-chris

Well for a similar price to S16 you can have the later model N5 Rallye and XT/XR(?) with a 2L (like Brenno's ... which is still for sale I think).

That way you get the N5 chassis, 2L motor (with less power than the S16 and GTi-6) and less weight than the GTi-6. Check the Power to Weight figures. And then you can modify it a tad.

Ultimate would have been the conversion done lately in Victoria where a GTi-6 running gear was put into the XR. No heavy junk (or safety bits) and all the power. Track day weapon. If only it was N5... <a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000378" target="_blank">link to conversion thread</a>

<small>[ 31 August 2003, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: tekkie ]</small>

Maybe I'm just naturally biased, but if I wanted a performance Pug, I'd buy a series 1 Mi16 before I bought an S16. The weight is similar (or better) and the performance potential is vastly superier.Mind you, I'velearnt to live with crash, bang, boom of the dash!

Peter,

S16 is at least 5 yrs "younger". In most cases the plastics, trim, mechanicals, electrics (!) would be in better condition. Anoterreason to go for the late model 306 even inferior spec to S16 as long as it is a 2L. Than again John's 1.8L XR performed quite nicely at Wakefield.

FWIW, there was an S16 in the Quokka for about six weeks, starting at $11K, final price (must've sold I assume) $10.2K. I remember thinking at the time that it must've been a bit of a dog or really high mileage.

Stuey

PeterT:
performance Pug, I'd buy a series 1 Mi16 before I bought an S16. The weight is similar (or better) and the performance potential is vastly superier.
Peter, when you say this is it because the S1 mi-16 engine is easier to get power from, or other wise.
I just can't see, smilarly moded or even dead stock Mi-16 Vs S16, the 306 beaten by the 405. Is there something I/we don't know here. Are you refering to the old touring car days? Or whats available for each car? Or is the few thousand dollars dif spent on a Mi-16 enough to over come a stock S16? Come on man fill us in. - chris

<small>[ 31 August 2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: CHRI'S16 ]</small>

I would also like to know why the Mi16 would be a better choice. Initial cost asside, the S16's are significantly quicker off the line than a Mi and in the twisty bits, in the hands of a decent driver the S16 would be quicker. As stock, they are lighter, more nimble, more power and more torque below 4k.

Granted, there are some basic mods you can do to the Mi to get their power up, but when you consider the limited number of S16's in this country, they haven't been explored to anywhere near the extent that the XU9 has.

Its my opinion that for an everyday car thats awesome fun, and the overall best package, a 306 XSi N5(97 or later) suits best. prices are from $13 to $20 for a late 2002 model, and mind full of K's.
If he wants to modify it and put fruti bits on it like me and wants plenty of go then a S16 fills this void best. prices from $12 for a Series 1 with high K's ie above 140,000. to $18 for a mint low K's ie less than 60,000.
But if he wants to keep the car stock and still have plenty of fun, tell him to save and get a GTi-6, no doubt its the King of the 306's.
Thanks Chris but yeah hed probably want to modify it. He already had a fairly modified Turbo MX6 and i doubt the car would stay stock.

Problem is i just found out he bought a new car the other day. Hate them or love them he bought an EG Civic...its basically stock ATM but he is going to drop the B18 motor into it (127kw 1.8 VTEC) into the car and it will fly. Another friend had done this conversion and it was very quick. I canot wait to see his conversion cause then it will be my Hybrid Pug vs his Hybrid Civic :)

Ultimate would have been the conversion done lately in Victoria where a GTi-6 running gear was put into the XR. No heavy junk (or safety bits) and all the power. Track day weapon
hehe thats my car :) I love it sooo much fun i dunno how a N5 can handle that much better cause IMO its blody brilliant :) I just need to loose more weight and put the 15" rims on it then itll be close to 1100kg :)

Anyways thanks for the responses guys its much appreciated and its unfortunate my friend din;t end up getting the S16 frown

S1 Mi16 - 1160Kg, 108kW, 178Nm, 214 km/h
S16 - 1178Kg, 116kW, 193Nm, 207 km/h

Sure the S16 will beat a std. S1 Mi16 off the line. But when you advance the inlet cam of S1 Mi16 back to its original intended position, it's a different story. I agree, the S16 is a better all round car, but at the bargain basement prices S1 Mi16's go for now, you can buy a lot of kW or handling options for the dollar difference . The all aluminium motor of the S1 Mi16 is an awesome piece of engineering, still being used until recently in the WRC 206. I was lucky enough to own a 160hp (119kW) Mi16 and it had heaps more torque than a S2 Mi16 (or S16), even with their dual stage inlet manifold.

<small>[ 31 August 2003, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: PeterT ]</small>

damn i didn't realise that the Mi16 was so light and the S16 so heavy.

Oh do u guys know how heavy the S2 Mi16 is my uncle has a 1995 model Mi16 and its such a nice car to drive and handles very well for a car of its size.

So the S1 didn't have the variable lenthg inlet runner things then

Originally posted by WRCPUG:
[QB]

How accurate is the s16 speedo only beacuse it has been mentioned that the top speed is 207, i have had my s16 at 200km/h and was sitting around the 6000rpm mark

WRCPUG:
A friend of mine is looking at getting a Pug i suggested a S16.

What are the prices these cars go for these days?
I've seen a pretty good quality GTI6 at AP Automotive. In gladesville opposite the buisness park, before Maccas on the left, heading towards the city.
Its for $20K but they will probably negotiate as it has been there a while...A red one

Brad:
I would also like to know why the Mi16 would be a better choice. Initial cost asside, the S16's are significantly quicker off the line than a Mi and in the twisty bits, in the hands of a decent driver the S16 would be quicker.
Them there fighten words boy. You, me, S16 vs Mi16, Mt Glorious, tomorrow at dawn! :mad:

Cal.