306 gti6 handling issues!

BW205 said:
I was just hoping some fellow froggers had play around with alignment specs

Cheers
Billy
since I put new shocks and springs in the GTi6 (the reason why I know what this plow on understeer is) I am yet to get an alignment done. It was done by Bob Jane, but not sure if Paul V specified what the settings should be... sorry, can't help much more.

If your car has 80-100 000 Km on it the shocks will be tired, still working but not as well. Contact Ray Bell about some Koni Sport shocks. There is a long thread about Konis, with prices for various Pugs and others. I have had them on almost every car I have owned. I put them on my 306 at 25Km and made a vast improvement in the handling.

alan moore said:
If your car has 80-100 000 Km on it the shocks will be tired, still working but not as well. Contact Ray Bell about some Koni Sport shocks. There is a long thread about Konis, with prices for various Pugs and others. I have had them on almost every car I have owned. I put them on my 306 at 25Km and made a vast improvement in the handling.

Speaking of shocks, if the car has had new shocks, again, the strut could've been assembled incorrectly. How many kilometres have you done?

I'm not sure what Konis would be like on a GTi6, I'm sure they'd be fun though! Ray Bell is a member on here that can get you a good deal on Konis, so feel free to send him a Personal Message.

I got Peugeot shocks on mine, they were around $300-$350 a pair.

- Lincoln

The car's only got 45000 kms on it so I doubt it's had the shocks changed due to mileage. I'll look into the konis when the current shocks become worn, however I think that'll be a while yet as everything seems well damped.

Lincoln, so your car is exhibiting plow understeer now because you haven't had a wheel alignment?? Ok, when you get the wheels aligned, let us know if that fixes it, and if so what wheel alignment settings were used as I'll probably want to use the same as I've got oem springs and shocks as well.

I still can't get over how difficult it is to find out the official gti6 alignment settings! Especially since it has the potential to completely affect the car's handling. I know in my corolla's setup, even a half degree change in camber or toe made the difference between sweet handler and a homicidal maniac. I'll try contacting a peugeot service centre today to find out the official setting. Will let you guys know if I have any luck.

jastanis said:
Lincoln, so your car is exhibiting plow understeer now because you haven't had a wheel alignment?? Ok, when you get the wheels aligned, let us know if that fixes it, and if so what wheel alignment settings were used as I'll probably want to use the same as I've got oem springs and shocks as well.

Sorry for the confusion. The car is fine now. I was talking about when it had been lowered by the first owner.

alan moore said:

North Shore Rallysport in sydney, commented on the quality of the 306GTi6 shocks when I asked them. They assured me that unless they have been physically damaged they should last around 150,000 kms.

Wheel alignment front and rear is always a good starting point when chasing corneing prefection.

Good luck.

jastanis said:
I still can't get over how difficult it is to find out the official gti6 alignment settings! Especially since it has the potential to completely affect the car's handling. I know in my corolla's setup, even a half degree change in camber or toe made the difference between sweet handler and a homicidal maniac. I'll try contacting a peugeot service centre today to find out the official setting. Will let you guys know if I have any luck.
My local wheel alignment tech. had the settings in his book of all the cars. The 306GTi was listed... hummm.

tekkie said:
My local wheel alignment tech. had the settings in his book of all the cars. The 306GTi was listed... hummm.

Was it correct??

Because people have been to court over this.. :afplak:

my previous corolla gti both had awesome turn in
Your GTI must have been well set up. I had a stock SX (basically the same thing) and I found the handling appaling for such a "sporty" hatch with a 100kw engine. It was like driving a supermarket trolley - it would pitch and roll all over the place. No fun to drive at all except in a straight line. :mallet:

B E R E T said:
my previous corolla gti both had awesome turn in
Your GTI must have been well set up. I had a stock SX (basically the same thing) and I found the handling appaling for such a "sporty" hatch with a 100kw engine. It was like driving a supermarket trolley - it would pitch and roll all over the place. No fun to drive at all except in a straight line. :mallet:

Yeah it was actually an ex Bathurst 12 hr Production race car owned and raced by Osborne motorsport. Around eastern creek its lap times were as fast as stock 911s. It has Bilstein suspension, bloody rough ride on the road though. I think the LSD made a huge difference to that car too in terms of getting power to the ground, the engine was worked so makes around 130 kW so you can imagine in a lightweight fwd without a lsd it would have been crazy. Actually, it was crazy even with a lsd. It was great fun on the track but not a car I could continue to live with day to day and it was just too stiffly sprung for our potholed public roads. That's why I decided to get the gti6. Actually I've wanted a gti6 for about 5 yrs now but couldn't afford it till now.

btw anyone want to buy a road registrable ex race car corolla for 4 grand?

...obviously no standard GTI/SX then... :) - a stocky is truely a shocker to drive.

Typical Toyota arrogance at releasing that thing to the public - a 1985 FWD Celica was an older design but still had a much better chassis.

I haven't driven a GTI6 yet, but would imagine a standard one set up to factory specifications would run rings around all but the most severely modified Corolla's

so the Gti-6 DO have a different set of alignment specs....can some one find out please...as I will have my alignment done by the end of this week....anyone help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, in a previous post in this thread....what is a Beissbarth alignment???

Cheers
Billy

Biessbarth is an alignment checking system that uses light beams (infrared I think) to measure very accurately your alignment. Using my mates machine shows you very quickly how accurate your whole car setup is, even measuring the inconsistancies of your rims in three places first, and telling you to within 0.1mm how square your vehicle is.

..one last thing, if need be, have the egine mounts checked. Bad mounts will push/pull at the shafts, as a last resort-chris

B E R E T said:
...obviously no standard GTI/SX then... :) - a stocky is truely a shocker to drive.

Typical Toyota arrogance at releasing that thing to the public - a 1985 FWD Celica was an older design but still had a much better chassis.

I haven't driven a GTI6 yet, but would imagine a standard one set up to factory specifications would run rings around all but the most severely modified Corolla's

I probably shouldn't say too much about the corolla since I am probably biased owning one (and because I haven't ever driven a stock one), but mine wasn't severely modified as only certain level of mods are allowed under Production car racing rules and it was road legal. It was however very quick around the track and very predictable handling with the BIG condition that the road was smooth.

It's so hard for me to compare it with a gti6 simply because a) I haven't driven a proper gti6 to its limits as my one has yet to get the susp' setup correctly and b)my corolla was crap on the road but a weapon around the track, and I'm guessing a good stock gti6 would be fantastic on the road and still be a hoot around the track. Being a little bit older and a little bit wiser, nowadays I'd definitely prefer a fantastic road car that's good on the track rather than a barely road legal race car.

Toyota has never been known for releasing exciting cars, but I personally wouldn't call them arrogant for releasing the corolla gti on the public. The modified race versions with the 1.6 lt 4age engines actually hold the record for the most number of wins worldwide for any one type of car. Then again I haven't driven a stock one...

Hopefully I'll be moving back to Sydney within this year and more importantly hopefully my suspension is sorted out by then..I'll definitely do a track day around Eastern creek and will write a post about the lap times compared to the corolla. However, whether it's faster or slower on the track ultimately doesn't matter, because I know the gti6 will be a ball of fun on the track, and around a windy mountain with b-grade roads, it'll leave my corolla well behind.

BW205 said:
so the Gti-6 DO have a different set of alignment specs....can some one find out please...as I will have my alignment done by the end of this week....anyone help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, in a previous post in this thread....what is a Beissbarth alignment???

Cheers
Billy

STOP PRESS..... dug it out from my file's

Can't find this data on PUG logic though so it might interest you..

RFS ONLY (gti6) Camber -0'25' +- 30'

ALL OTHER SETTINGS as per 3dr RFV (XT XSI etc) Note.. 3dr (europe)

Dont know if this will make it any better though????

Share the knowledge... :cheers: :afplak:

Toyota has never been known for releasing exciting cars, but I personally wouldn't call them arrogant for releasing the corolla gti on the public. The modified race versions with the 1.6 lt 4age engines actually hold the record for the most number of wins worldwide for any one type of car. Then again I haven't driven a stock one...

I still say they are arrogant - not from a performance perspective, as the 100 kw 4AGE even in stock is a great little engine. I refer to the lowest common denominator handling, steering, and braking of the production models, including the SX. I am sure they did a lot better with the modified race versions in that regard.

As for excitement, the 2000 GT was exciting, and many of the various rorty twin carb GT/twin cam models from the late 1960's and early 1970 that Australia never saw would have been exciting too - in one way or another. 200 km/h from a 1969 1.9 Corona GSS for example.... :cheers: :adrink: