2CV Gearbox question

Dont know where to look( hole) , and a dipstick , I dont have one ?

What year is that one , Thanks

Last edited:
The dipstick is my own creation.
The hole is clearly visible in the second pic in the first post.
Car is notionally a 1979, but anyone's guess as to which bits! :)
Cheers, Pottsy

OK, time for an update perhaps.

Not being able to find anything obviously wrong with the box of cogs, apart from the aforementioned hole and seals, I put it all back together with a fresh lot of oil and crossed my fingers.

Strangely, the synchro into 3rd seemed fine at first, but occasionally would be defeated after a goodly rev in second, say, for a hill. Also seemed to only happen occasionally after a longish run, which may indicate the oil heating up? I just don't know.
In any case, off to Tasmania we went, the three of us, Gaston, myself and the wonderful Mrs P.

1400 odometered (and relaxing) miles around Tasmania was accomplished with no fuss, but fairly consistent reluctance on the part of 3rd gear synchro. I'm now adept at double shuffling again, a skill I haven't really needed in my Frenchies!

So after arriving home from Tassie, up on the rack went Gaston, out came his vital fluids and off came the top of the gearbox.

Nothing obvious once again. The box wasn't leaking like before. A regular poke of the breather hole had ensured it stayed clear. The oil contained no nasties and neither were there any down the bottom of the casing when I went fishing with a magnet. On advice from the Viking I checked the assistance spring was present, it was, and then decided to double check the clearance setting of the selector fork. I don't think it was out, but it's definitely now set to 1.8mm with my home made version of tool 1786-T. (also home brew version of MR630-64/21 in place holding the detent spring).

A fill with Castrol VMX80 and NulonG70, seal the top with Loctite 515 and off the rack and on to the road. (Not forgetting the engine oil and filter!)

Results are mixed. The first 20 or 30 shifts in to 3rd were silky, seamless and crunch free. Pat on the back, but premature. After a while, perhaps once the VMCX80 was warmed, the crunch would occasionally happen again, albeit not as often.

So I'm slowly coming to the unwelcome realisation that maybe my 3rd gear synchroniser is cactus, or at least reluctant to serve its purpose consistently.

Time to look closely at my spare box bits. I have a short spline one but until I do some tooth counting I can't be sure its bits will serve as replacements, or if indeed they're serviceable.

Time will tell. Cheers, Pottsy