208 Thudding noise

When I remove the hose it pushes air and makes a “puffy” noise

Inside is a metal circular wheel which is off set and driven by cam. Could be worn, caked with old oil and no longer lubricated.
Can be removed and cleaned and re assembled. If already leaking the o ring is only available from BMW as PSA don't have as a replacement item?

20220327_125124.jpg

Inside is a metal circular wheel which is off set and driven by cam. Could be worn, caked with old oil and no longer lubricated.
Can be removed and cleaned and re assembled. If already leaking the o ring is only available from BMW as PSA don't have as a replacement item?

View attachment 202310
I don’t see any leaks…so you think that is the issue?
I think there are YouTube videos that explain to you how to rebuilt it. Is it something serious that needs to be fixed asap?

Does the car run and stop OK? If the pump has failed, you might expect a loss of braking assistance.
The o-ring between the pump and the head is available from Peugeot/Citroen, but the pump cover o-ring is the one you have to find from Mini/BMW if the pump is leaking oil from the cover. For the turbo only as I recall.
It will have a check valve under the outlet. Perhaps, remove and clean it, in case it is sticking open. It's meant to suck air, not blow it.
At some stage, I have been told, the vacuum pump was improved to address noise from the drive dog - the bit that fits into the camshaft. Maybe, this is all that is wrong here?

I am not experiencing any braking issues…I ve seen a video that you can rebuilt it…I used the stethoscope on that pump though and I can’t hear any noise coming from it. I might see if I can find a rebuilt one…

Was thinking about it as well
Chain and tensioners have been replaced in 2019
I am about to take out the vaccm pump and clean it

Here is a picture of what’s inside…I can barely feel them with my fingernail those marks…
Is it on its way? Also it spins freely with no issues…

Attachments

• B0356AD7-E46F-45E8-9EF4-A31EF6FCE213.jpeg
    B0356AD7-E46F-45E8-9EF4-A31EF6FCE213.jpeg
    865.8 KB · Views: 82
No bueno unfortunately. Cleaned it well and put it back on. Same noise
I will remove the rocker cover tomorrow…

I removed the rocket cover. Shaking it makes some thumping noises...I tried to clean it and blew some air through it. Few hardened oil bits and pieces came out and I put it back on. It does the sound but after 3-4 seconds after I start the car, so I bought another rocker cover...Hopefully thats the issue. I would also like to replace the vacuum pump. I saw those marks and OCD took over me :) This pump is it the same as the Mini Cooper R57?

Here is what is inside the cover - an oil separator and valves.
Valves A and B regulate the reaspiration of oil vapour according to boost pressure.
The blow by valve (C) controls passage from the crankcase.

deshuileur.png

Last edited:
Here is what is inside the cover - an oil separator and valves.
View attachment 202462
Thanks. I saw a video from someone who dissected one...Hopefully that is the issue...Noise comes from the top half of the engine on the right side where the vacuum pump and fuel pump is. I also checked the chain when I removed the cover. It is tight and all plastic tensioners are in good shape

The hydraulic chain tensioner looks like a big bolt on the rear side - do not loosen it.

Sometimes it is the tensioner alone which can cause chain rattle so if it is chain related then might be worth trying a new tensioner. Its ~$90 for the part and 30 mins labour to fit.

Sometimes it is the tensioner alone which can cause chain rattle so if it is chain related then might be worth trying a new tensioner. Its ~$90 for the part and 30 mins labour to fit.
The chain was tight and it had no slack

Here is a picture of what’s inside…I can barely feel them with my fingernail those marks…
Is it on its way? Also it spins freely with no issues…
Hi. I have no direct experience with this specific vacuum pump. But here are my comments on your image.
There are original machining marks and also some tracking marks from the rotating vane on the alloy body. As you have mentioned, there is no scoring and you can't feel anything with your fingers. It looks servicable to me, and if it was mine, I would reassemble and refit.

But if your cash is burning a hole in your pocket, replacing it won't hurt, but will hurt your bank balance.

Hi. I have no direct experience with this specific vacuum pump. But here are my comments on your image.
There are original machining marks and also some tracking marks from the rotating vane on the alloy body. As you have mentioned, there is no scoring and you can't feel anything with your fingers. If it was me, I would reassemble and refit.

But if your cash is burning a hole in your pocket, replacing it won't hurt, but will hurt your bank balance.
Hahaha. Thanks for that. Yeah I cleaned it and put it back on. They cost a bit. I found an original new one 300 dollars...

Look at the flats of the cams and see if both cams make the same angle, which is how they should have been when the new chain was fitted (if the tech did the job correctly). This is why some tools kits include an inclinometer to measure the angle. If they differ by more than, say 5 degrees, the chain is stretched and the tensioner is taking up the slack at the moment, but it may not yet rattle. You need a dummy tensioner tool to measure the chain stretch. The most recent chain has a hole in each roller and a 2019 repair using new factory parts should be that chain. The base of the top chain guide pad should be steel, not the earlier aluminium.
A new cover should come with the gaskets as a kit. The spark plug / coil holes of some of the copies do not quite line up to the head.

Look at the flats of the cams and see if both cams make the same angle, which is how they should have been when the new chain was fitted (if the tech did the job correctly). This is why some tools kits include an inclinometer to measure the angle. If they differ by more than, say 5 degrees, the chain is stretched and the tensioner is taking up the slack at the moment, but it may not yet rattle. You need a dummy tensioner tool to measure the chain stretch. The most recent chain has a hole in each roller and a 2019 repair using new factory parts should be that chain. The base of the top chain guide pad should be steel, not the earlier aluminium.
A new cover should come with the gaskets as a kit. The spark plug / coil holes of some of the copies do not quite line up to the head.
Thanks good info here. The cover will come with the gaskets. Fingers crossed.