205 Si xt

Assembled beam going in for the second time. Forgot to mention I set shock centres to 322mm as that's what my last si was (with slight rubbing on large bumps) I'm yet to give it clearance but will see how it goes. The 21mm arb definitely helps with the scrubbing as it's slightly less independent in the rear with the bigger arb. I'll be running 15x6.5 wheels down the track. It sits slightly higher in the front than I'd like depending on the ground I'm on but that's because it has dtd gti springs. I'll be fitting around 140lb custom springs or 30mm lower xsara springs if anyone has any?
I've got a pair of lower 140 lb springs available.

Rather then mess around with bigger torsion bars, why not fit some Spax coil overs? Far cheaper then new torsion bars and you can experiment easily/cheaply.

Attachments

• coil over mount small.JPG
    coil over mount small.JPG
    306.8 KB · Views: 67
Rather then mess around with bigger torsion bars, why not fit some Spax coil overs? Far cheaper then new torsion bars and you can experiment easily/cheaply.
Peter I often wondered about that as an option a while back but was just using what's at hand or easily available for now. Also didnt want anything too harsh so i thought 19mm bars would be adequate for a road car. The only reason I used the 21mm arb was I had it from the 306 and only cost $200 to reslpine it. The si had a 16mm arb and definately had to go. My theory was to use all the 306 xt running gear and it should be all matched to work together and remain balanced. Although I may lose the 205 handling it should handle more like a 306 which isn't s bad thing. Given that std 205 gti torsion bars probley aren't that common any more it's a good option as I will be buying uprated rear shocks at some stage.

Hey Graham I'd be interested. What brand or vehicle are they from? Do you know the wire diameter and free length?
From the rally place in Wales. I'll have to dig them up, must be at Dandenong somewhere.

Peter I often wondered about that as an option a while back but was just using what's at hand or easily available for now. Also didnt want anything too harsh so i thought 19mm bars would be adequate for a road car. The only reason I used the 21mm arb was I had it from the 306 and only cost $200 to reslpine it. The si had a 16mm arb and definately had to go. My theory was to use all the 306 xt running gear and it should be all matched to work together and remain balanced. Although I may lose the 205 handling it should handle more like a 306 which isn't s bad thing. Given that std 205 gti torsion bars probley aren't that common any more it's a good option as I will be buying uprated rear shocks at some stage.
Nothing wrong with the 16mm rear ARB. My Si road car handles superbly. I tried a GTi rear ARB on my Topaz car, felt nice and responsive on the road but dreadful in competition, rear wheels 200mm in the air and came about last. I've got a 14 mm rear bar on the 309, special from Spoox, works well, but I do have 21.3 Berlingo torsion bars on that.

From the rally place in Wales. I'll have to dig them up, must be at Dandenong somewhere.
Peter Lloyd Rallying rings a bell. I thought his gravel springs were 160lb and 190lb for tarmac. Either way I'm keen.

That sounds right, I will take a look in a week or two when I go to Dandenong next.

I probably have plenty of GTi torsion bars if you want a pair.

Small update. 205 been pushed out of shed while I try and source some parts. I really need a rear hatch glass to make it watertight again and stop the rodents chewing on my seats. For a while now the cat was bringing mice home and it had me wondering where the hell he was getting them from. I discovered he was helping me out as they has nested under the rear seats of the 205. Not too much damage just chewed the foam out of one seat base. I'll be working on another car until I accumulate more parts.

Attachments

• 20240106_104541.jpg
    20240106_104541.jpg
    831 KB · Views: 71
This project has stalled a fair bit as I'm still trying to buy a rear hatch glass for it and a few other bits. Had one lined up with Natumbri but seems he has gone cold on it all again. It's currently pushed out in the weather and going to waste. If I can't find something for it soonish I'm thinking i might sell it off to someone that has the bits to finish it. I did make a template and considered doing a poly window but pretty sure roadworthness might be an issue. It would make a great road car with the 1.8 twin cam motor that's in it. The donor car the motor came from went like a rocket.

Attachments

• 20240126_103200.jpg
    20240126_103200.jpg
    577.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20240126_105609.jpg
    20240126_105609.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 42
Big thanks to John T for getting this project moving forward again. As luck would have it i had family in his area so within the matter of days I had it here in Vic. Spent today removing the glass and cleaning it. Had to remove some old window tint. I'm a little concerned the demister may not work again though. The two metal connections fell off the glass and I had to use a razor to get the tint off. Other than that it's in very nice condition and looks great after a clean.

Appearantly you can buy special glue and paint to fix small demister issues. Anyone have any experience with this type of thing. I'm guessing I could test it with a meter if I can re-attach the terminals onto the glass?

Attachments

• 20240219_174339.jpg
    20240219_174339.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 38
See Hugo's thread.

See Hugo's thread.

Thanks shibuichi, I'll go searching for a kit and break out the meter.

I used a conducive epoxy, worked very well, alternatively solder paste and a low wheat I prefer the epoxy. measured 12 Ohm across from memory which is about right 1 amp.

Thanks Matt i might see if jaycar recommend anything also. For those that may be a little lost i just realised in my previous thread i forgot to mention I was referring to the rear hatch and removing the glass. I got a bit excited as I've been chasing a glass for over a year now. Seems you can't edit your posts after someone responds. I did take some pics along the way but being that it's clear glass they aren't that spectacular. The plan now is to fix a small amount of surface rust in each corner of the original hatch where the rubber sits and paint it while the glass is out. Once it's back on its staying there.

Putting this project up for sale. It has stalled pretty significantly lately and has been sitting out in the weather with a cover over it since end of last year. I've also been given the "can you please make that car go away" talk as it's currently sitting in a relatives back yard due to me moving. With 4 other projects that need moving storing and completing it has draw the short straw. Will put a detailed add up hopefully in next few days. Alternatively feel free to pm for details