205 Mi16....AGAIN!

Neil,

Just as a side issue....hows the Mi going ? I assume your getting a good run out of that nice motor...I was just thinking about it the other day when I fell over some of the other remains of that car in my shed :)

Cheers

Ben

PS I cant wait to see some pic's!!

deary deary deary me... Mofo surely lacks basic communication skills... I always thought basic rule was, ask nicely and though shalt recieve, be a prick and you get told to sit your fat arse down and shut the f*ck up?
Tell me PeterT how much does the average conversion cost? I don't plan on doing one but have been curious about the actual costs for it...

It all depends on how much you pay for the engine/gearbox/ecu. Doing it yourself, don't expect much change out of $5K.

My old man used to say" the more people i meet the more i like my dog"
I think this applies to our own ALI G on this site.

I havent laughed so much in awhile!! Hey Cal...want to come over and watch some Gladiator movies uhh??

triple!? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAargh, Y_Y cars are an elitest hobby arent they. Oh well, I will just have to put another crumby 8v in there I guess. looking at all the places that talk about the transplant it all seems quite straightforward (not that i would know but, >_<) so why are the labour costs so huge? I thought once someone had done it once it would be easy for them to repeat the process?! Where did all you guys learn so much about cars? Are you all trained mechanics or just mechanically minded people? hmmm, I wonder what I should do? I wish it were more simple a process than it seems to be. The cost is all but prohibitive. I mean I could get a nippy little ricer for what it would cost to do up my bomb of a pug... But, love I love my pug. how can i sit here and put a monetary value on my pug?! I hate being poor, any rich people out there wanna lend me 15k?!^_^ You can have sticker space on my Mi16 hi hi ^O^Y

I will just have to put another crumby 8v in there
Purple Pug, DON'T put a crappy!!

Put a NICE 8V in there!!

Sure not as much go as a 16V but will certainly entertain......

A few have done and one right this minute should be getting it finished......Soon....... wink

Was a thread or two about nice 8v engines a while ago.... not too expencive I seem to remember.

Jono

Hey Purplepug I did the conversion all by myself with the knowledge gained from these types of forums. I did some quick sums and yes its not cheap.

Complete Engine/box/loom $2000 (this was a good price)
Clutch $350
Water pump and cam belt $180
New Exhaust including cat $450
Modified radiator $350
Oils, Coolant etc $150
Time Free

Total price $3480

The conversion is not hard the hardest thing for me was the wiring but with the help of others on the forum this was fixed.

I would recommend giving it a go if you could get a good Mi16 engine.

I would estimate the cost of doing a hot 8v would come close to this figure anyway. I know that new pistons and liner kit costs $1200 alone.

With this conversion, good suspension and rubber it would have to be one hell of a ricer that will be able to keep up with the car over the twisties and this is why I have done the conversion and not to drag every second rice chariot with a BOV.

P.s. Ben the engine is going well. I took it for a good run on Sunday to Speed on Tweed via a twisty road and the motor just sings. I didn't have to ring its neck to get good speed out of the car. I had Brad in the car and close to the end of the twisties he had to ask me what the car can do as I didn't need to rev it over 4500rpm. I think the car as a whole is now setup how I like it and all I have to do is learn how to drive it.

Neil
cheers! a_drink

<small>[ 22 September 2003, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: neil 416 ]</small>

Sorry Neil, you'll have to speak up, I am a little hard of hearing after 300kms in it yesterday mallet

I can qualify Neil statements, she pretty mauch cained along. The few times Neil let go of his nuts and took it over 4500rpm it pulled very hard. So it should for a 900kg car with 160hp.

Although the car felt quite stiff on the road, there were some pretty bumpy corners which it just stuck too. Loved the Azenis too.

I can tell you that working an 8v engine is not cheap once you go past the basic mods level.

I guess it comes down to whether you want a brand new 8v engine so-to-speak or a used Mi engine. Untimately, the Mi has more scope for a higher peak power figure but it will cost significant $$$$$ to get there. Not that an 8v won't, its just that Mi stuff costs more and when you get to head stuff, there is double everything.

Darren