203 ( - etc.) spotted for sale on ebay / gumtree ( - etc., etc. ...)

Last edited:
Wrong boot/tail light and boot lid badge for 1948 but A1 for 1954.However, as one of history's great Pug fans was heard to say..."She is still a rose by any other name!" Sweet! :joker:

Wrong boot/tail light and boot lid badge for 1948 but A1 for 1954.However, as one of history's great Pug fans was heard to say..."She is still a rose by any other name!" Sweet! :joker:
Boot badge, number plate light and external lock are correct for after April 1951. All the rest points to 1951 but I would be interested to see the chassis number and if the original engine is in place (not another 403 conversion). Strangely, the Australian made hubcaps are correct and not usually seen. The choice of body colour indicates the taste of a choko as does the cheap plastic indicators. If the rest is original and rust has been carefully addressed (probably not likely) I can see a top value of around $6000. A spend of about $15-20,000 on restoration would bring it up to scratch (ask me how I know).

for clarity
original post @ Tewantin; Vic reg , uncommon hubcaps etc history and originality worth being respectfully discussed?
same price, @ Ipswich ... for compare and contrast, and
3rd
'so not 1948 ...' referred to 'rat-rod/parts' @ Toowoomba
(should have been punctuated; Vent - and Rear - Window s)
sorry steven

Last edited:
The original links are stale but was that Basil Moran's 203 from Casterton, a 1951 model with dark blue paint?

Yes the earlier discussion was, i think - a 505 metallic blue, you said?
Last seen for sale in the strezlecki region, who knows where now ...

Last edited:
If it is the car from Casterton it has been traded quite a few times and the history has become muddled. Quite a bargain at the quoted prices, provided nobody has done any modifications, a genuine low mileage car with a solid history. Restored by old Peugeot enthusiasts and mechanics, rust free with a high class paint job, restored in the late 1980's. The mechanic was a 203 rally driver in the Sun Rallies. The body colour does not indicate the taste of a choko (whatever that is) but an attempt by the owner to recall the iridescent paint finish of the decouvrable he bought new in 1952, which as you all know had special metallic paint finishes. The late 505 colour didn't work in my opinion but it was still an impressive car. The "cheap plastic indicators" were fitted by dealers to Victorian 203's when lighting laws changed in 1959 and are exactly the same as those fitted to my car by a dealer. They are a legitimate item on a restored Victorian 203 in my opinion. The same as the external tail light switch on the 1950 models. What is a little different on this car is the semaphores were left connected and a separate switch fitted for the blinkers that had to be updated to make registration. This car rode and drove well and was well on the way to being sorted out when it was sold to Brisbane. It left Casterton on a set of 403 wheels with hubcaps I had supplied with the 203 wheels with clips and hubs safely stowed and at some point it has been put back on its original wheels and hubs to be sold. One hopes it will find a permanent home soon.

Last edited:
It's a nice looking 1950 model with a 203 motor but price will have to be realistic. Look at the Shannons results, perhaps it's the economy but some very nice cars struggle to make money.

I have noticed that the market has taken a downturn in the last 6 months. And that was after the previous downturn. Certain segments remain buoyant, and the Peugeot market (as well as the good-quality older car market generally ) is a niche market, normally fairly resistant to economic downturns.

So even though the market generally is flooded with older, high mileage, cheaper cars, if that older higher quality segment has taken a downturn, I'd say it is a reflection of the economy.

Pretty sure I took a look at this some time ago, Dale is an Asian or Indian guy? Body is good for rust as I recall but there is work to do if you wanted to drive it regularly.

Maybe it was you he quoted Graham?
He did have a faint accent - unlike what might be expected from such a name but I couldn’t say what it was.
Reckoned the car has been in his shed for twenty years and came from Beechworth.....

Last edited: