203 Air Cleaner to Carburettor Hose wanted.

Totally agree Russell.

Not a problem I've faced with an early car but I've always noticed the poor condition of this hose. Note the experience of Gordon Miller in importing parts and having parts made for sale. He was not happy with the experience and commented 203 owners were very tight and would not readily buy. This is a major outlay and cost it out fully. It would set you up as sole worldwide supplier of the hose but how much demand would there be given it was only used in the colonies and Australia. You need a firm idea of the number of people who will commit to a purchase.
Russell, are you one of the tight 203 owners? If not, would you be prepared to pay around $30 for a shiny new hose to replace the elderly one on your car in anticipation of its demise?

I have an early car with the French air cleaner. A small Holden air filter is a suitable replacement element. But as for cost, as the production and original outlay cost would be borne by Dano his shiny new hose could be rather expensive. This needs careful structuring so that one person is not left holding an inequitable share of outlays and costs.

hi
i think you have to be care full before you get into such project.many or most people changed the engine to 403
including me .not many cars are original 203 engine.i would need one for 403 engine.

Yes, I think you're right. At the Worm Drive weekend at Lake Fyans (was it 1998?) I wandered around the cars looking at engines and the majority were 403 particularly the NSW contingent. Climbing the Grampians it became obvious which of us had 203 engines.

This is how this was solved on my 203, probably was done by either Gordon Miller or Ivan Washington. The hose on the filter is the 403 hose, then a bit of pipe and some radiator hose correct size with a small bend to the carb.

Attachments

• 203 air filter connection.jpg
    203 air filter connection.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
This is how this was solved on my 203, probably was done by either Gordon Miller or Ivan Washington. The hose on the filter is the 403 hose, then a bit of pipe and some radiator hose correct size with a small bend to the carb.
Certainly looks like that!

I can at least give you the steel joiner as a somewhat worse for wear version of the 'Miller / Washington' one illustrated was in the Poubelle spares. Rubber stuffed though obviously, but it's yours if you want it.