203 Air Cleaner to Carburettor Hose wanted.

Dano

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hello,

I have been unable to track down a new one of these anywhere.

1659523081303.png

If anyone knows where to buy one, please let me know.

Assuming new ones are not available, I am heading down the track of having one/some made. That being said, I will need a good example to copy.

If anyone has a good condition, but not perfect one they are prepared to part with, I'd be extremely appreciative.

About a year ago, Franzose advertised they had them, however when it arrived, it was the 403 version. Bummer!

Cheers,

Dano

Hi Dan
For some time I've been thinking about this problem - mine is just OK at the moment but clearly will not last forever. As these are not made as reproductions in Europe (not needed as the oil bath air cleaner is an export only feature) local manufacture is probably the only option. Of course, the economies will depend on local demand. I think setup costs would be substantial given that a mandrel is required to form the hose. One idea I had was to approach a local hose manufacture such as Mackay. However, they would probably want a substantial sum and volume production. Another was to seek advice from someone with old car rubber experience. Peter Jackson at Old Era Services might be the best bet.
Is anyone else interested in a new hose?

Tony

If you can't find a matching one, and if each end has the same diameter, you could use a convoluted hose. These can handle the bend.

Nothing in the Mackay catalogue which could be adapted. Using a corrugated hose misses the point of originality. A convoluted hose would only be the hard way of getting there! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feed back/suggestions. Graham and Tony are both on the money! It is all about originality

To clarify, my understanding is that hoses such as this are molded over a collapsing mandrel - a fairly complicated device.

Again, is there any interest out there which would justify the associated costs? Please indicate here.

Yes that looks simple enough. Good to see the young fella at the end putting on the labels has some safety gloves on.

These hoses only on the oil bath cars. Don't think the cars sold in Europe had these air cleaners?

To clarify, my understanding is that hoses such as this are molded over a collapsing mandrel - a fairly complicated device.

Again, is there any interest out there which would justify the associated costs? Please indicate here.

Ditto to Commercial's comments.

I do have a contact in Europe who may be interested, if the numbers are viable?

Dano

If you can't find a matching one, and if each end has the same diameter, you could use a convoluted hose. These can handle the bend.
Never use these concertina hoses on a performance engine they really restrict flow

Ditto to Commercial's comments.

I do have a contact in Europe who may be interested, if the numbers are viable?

Dano
Hi Dan

I for one would be interested. There must be others out there given the current age and decrepitude of these hoses.

Tony

hi
many of us have 403 engine in their 203 and it will be different again as the carbi is on the other side .just wonder if
the one you got from Europe will fit 203 car with 403 engine.a friend gave me an idea to find it in 2 sections that will
fit together into a metal sleeve .better then one that falling a part.
ron

Ron,

Here is the link to Franzose for the 403 hose.

I gifted the hose to a fellow member, when I realised it would not suit my needs.

Cheers

Dano
1659772411782.png

Nothing in the Mackay catalogue which could be adapted. Using a corrugated hose misses the point of originality. A convoluted hose would only be the hard way of getting there! :rolleyes:
Ask Mackay for a price to make one, they sell worldwide

Received a reply from Mackay Automotive this morning. That is pretty good service, considering the email was sent last night. As stated in the reply, they have never produced the 203 Air Cleaner Hose.

The contact said, it is possible to produce them. See response below. Unfortunately, the 100 minimum order quantity is a bit of an issue. Would there be 100 genuine 203 powered 203's in Australia. I am still looking to see who is interested, before pursuing the option further. Dealing with a local manufacturer in most appealing for a myriad of reasons.

Cheers,

Dano

Hello Danny,

Thanks for your query and drawing.

The only hoses we have/had in our range to suit a Peugeot 203 vehicle are the top and bottom radiator hoses.

There is no listing for the hose in your attached picture.

There are many hoses in the Mackay range.

You may be able to find a suitable hose in the below search by size link.

The list starts with the smallest ID and goes up to the largest ID hose.

https://www.mackayrubber.com.au/_files/ugd/17eaaa_667dde98888c456d96bd9e229d01053b.pdf

We also have a range of Mackay flex hoses

https://www.mackayrubber.com.au/_files/ugd/17eaaa_6a4ab92c8a7847c6905c997db207e796.pdf

We do not one off hoses, manufacturing details are listed below.

1. MOQ is 100.
  2. Tooling charge between $400-$600 per hose shape.
  3. Customer to provide either the design data drawing or original hose in good condition
Also confirmation of the following:

- Working pressure

- Temperature range

- Mounting OD measurements

- Application confirmation including environment.

If this is viable and you can provide the additional information then I can submit the details for quoting.

Many thanks,

Brad.

Not a problem I've faced with an early car but I've always noticed the poor condition of this hose. Note the experience of Gordon Miller in importing parts and having parts made for sale. He was not happy with the experience and commented 203 owners were very tight and would not readily buy. This is a major outlay and cost it out fully. It would set you up as sole worldwide supplier of the hose but how much demand would there be given it was only used in the colonies and Australia. You need a firm idea of the number of people who will commit to a purchase.