2021 Renault Arkana Launched in Australia

If the beholder is a tasteless fashion victim I suppose thats true....

I rather suspect that your idea of style is a battery on wheels and you wouldn't care how that looked. As an old mate used to say, all your taste is in your mouth! :cool:

I rather suspect that your idea of style is a battery on wheels and you wouldn't care how that looked. As an old mate used to say, all your taste is in your mouth! :cool:

Dude, we have an Alfa - I am not immune to the charms of some actual style ;) This akarna thing is not nice to look at, and just screams pretentious wanker to the world....

lol - i just showed it Kirsty. Her first reaction was a confused look and a "what's wrong with its wheels....".

I've trained her well :)

oh well, best not buy one I suppose? "shrugs"

Dude, we have an Alfa - I am not immune to the charms of some actual style ;) This akarna thing is not nice to look at, and just screams pretentious wanker to the world....

You own an Alfa and you reckon the Arkana is ugly? Ah well!

Well, here's our local Renault dealer. No Captur, no Arkana, a couple of Renault flags and lots of Suzuki signage. There are a few Koleos examples, one Megane and, in the cramped showroom, one Kangoo van at the back, hemmed in by Suzukis. Just driving past you'd probably not even notice the Renault flags.

I asked one of the used car salesman in the other showroom and he'd never heard of an Arkana. I went into the showroom and no-one even got up from a chair to speak to me.

To the credit of the spare parts office, hidden further back, they are friendly, helpful and know their stuff.

I marvel that any Renaults sell from this place. It would be nice if Renault Australia addressed the issue. This location is bang in the middle of probably the most concentrated area of new car showrooms in Perth, with practically everything available within 1 km (except Peugeot/Citroen, who are in a completely different location but at least are obvious when you get there.

Needless to say, I haven't seen an Arkana yet.

Attachments

• Renault dealer August 2021.JPG
    Renault dealer August 2021.JPG
    293.8 KB · Views: 138
To be truthful, I think the Arkana prices might have been announced (on Aug 24th) prior to it's roll-out. We have a large Renault Dealer nearby and as yet I haven't noticed an Arkana in the yard........

Well, here's our local Renault dealer. No Captur, no Arkana, a couple of Renault flags and lots of Suzuki signage. There are a few Koleos examples, one Megane and, in the cramped showroom, one Kangoo van at the back, hemmed in by Suzukis. Just driving past you'd probably not even notice the Renault flags.

I asked one of the used car salesman in the other showroom and he'd never heard of an Arkana. I went into the showroom and no-one even got up from a chair to speak to me.

To the credit of the spare parts office, hidden further back, they are friendly, helpful and know their stuff.

I marvel that any Renaults sell from this place. It would be nice if Renault Australia addressed the issue. This location is bang in the middle of probably the most concentrated area of new car showrooms in Perth, with practically everything available within 1 km (except Peugeot/Citroen, who are in a completely different location but at least are obvious when you get there.

Needless to say, I haven't seen an Arkana yet.
I think I'm right, but I'm pretty sure there is an Arkana in this pic. It's on the other side of the front doors of the Suzuki showroom. The Jimny is on the other side!

Having blown up the pic I would say also that there appears to be a silver grey Arkana under the LHS Suzuki sign...............sometimes you have to get out of the car.....................

While other states all had cars couple of weeks ago, apparently the delay in the release was due to Perth not having had any cars delivered until just a couple of days ago. Perth is further from Korea and less shipping to there.

The Renault dealer on Springvale road had at least 4 x parked on the nature strip as i drove by earlier, for whom ever cares..

And a Renault Sport Megane is not screaming pretentious wanker? RSM would be the worst practical package of motor vehicle of those mentioned above, albeit great fun to drive where conditions permit. But isn't it funny how some people can snigger at other people's choice of car, when everybody chooses their vehicle for their own reasons, and 90% of people just want a car that does what they want.

Me, the new Koleos, practical size and package for what I want, same size roughly as Rav4 and Forester, but the main reason I chose the Renault is that it was CHEAP in the current market. Luckily I don't have a hang up about Renault reliability (I'm used to it), and their low resale value has worked in my favour for an 18 month old car.

I have no idea what its 0-100 time is, but I do know that it packed everything we needed for a week away last week, it is quiet and comfortable on the highway with more than adequate performance and reasonable fuel economy. Built in Korea, Nissan engine and transmission, not much Renault DNA really, and not a patch on my previous Ford Territory as a highway cruiser, but an adequate vehicle all the same.

Anything smaller would not suit me, but I guess the Arkana and Captur would admirably suit many buyers with different needs than mine, everyone to their own.

Cheers.

https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?attachments/renault-dealer-august-2021-jpg.135813/
John, for some reason I thought you lived South of the River and your previous comments had been about the dealer in Melville, a dealer which I find quite presentable, but now I get what you mean, that Osborne Park dealership is barely recognisable as a Renault dealer, it looks more like a used car yard. At least their parts dept sounds OK, and I can say the same for the Melville dealer, good parts dept.
Back 17 years ago, we bought our Scenic at the then only Renault dealer in Perth, also in Osborne Park, I think it was combined with the Nissan dealer, on Scarborough Beach Road, and was quite professional - it's a shame it isn't there any more.
Cheers.

John, for some reason I thought you lived South of the River and your previous comments had been about the dealer in Melville, a dealer which I find quite presentable, but now I get what you mean, that Osborne Park dealership is barely recognisable as a Renault dealer, it looks more like a used car yard. At least their parts dept sounds OK, and I can say the same for the Melville dealer, good parts dept.
Back 17 years ago, we bought our Scenic at the then only Renault dealer in Perth, also in Osborne Park, I think it was combined with the Nissan dealer, on Scarborough Beach Road, and was quite professional - it's a shame it isn't there any more.
Cheers.
Exactly. Yes, the Melville dealer has always seemed enthusiastic and "out there".

I was at the Scarborough Road location for the Renault return celebration evening, years back. It was memorable, not least for my spilling champagne on my wife! She was less than overjoyed. Then they moved up the road twice, first to join Suzuki on the other side of the Freeway and again when the Peugeot dealer shifted away. After a very long time, they finally got the global Renault treatment on the building (quite smart), and within months it seemed, gave up the premises and moved back with the Suzuki dealer in a really good location. That "Renault" location now sells Tesla vehicles which are not uncommon in our affluent bubble! Many months later the Renault dealership is still practically invisible, Clios are common in the area and they've stopped selling that model. I can't imagine how they sell any Renault vehicles with practically no signage other than "Suzuki" unless people do homework and discover the Koleos price online! What is Renault Australia doing???

Rant over. Must take the Scenic over and have another attempt to see an Arkana. I tried with the R8 but they weren't interested. It's ten minutes from home at the most.

People used to tell me my R16 was "ugly". I had to explain to them that it looked fine from the inside, where I sat, and that I really couldn't give a rodent's rectum what they thought! Similar feelings may be evoked in new Arkana owners! ;)

It is 341mm longer than the related Captur, on an 81mm longer wheelbase.
I stand corrected totally regarding local Arkanas Kim. Thanks for noticing. I just slipped over (ten minutes) to the local camouflaged dealer and they have three of them now, two still with the white plastic etc from their shipment from Korea. You'd think getting that off might be a priority.....

I parked the red Scenic right in front of the sales office (dark and empty 2 hours after its advertised opening time) and wandered over to inspect the Arkanas, and the couple of Capturs for that matter. Locked, so I couldn't get in. No-one showed the slightest interest in me so I went home and bought some milk.

Plenty of Koleos examples there too. Some tired Renault flags among the Suzuki badging.

I know I've said it before, but it is a hell of a way to sell Renaults.

Suzuki Arkana sml.jpg

Cheers.
I just discovered their last advice on spare parts I wanted was incorrect!

I was lucky enough to drive an Arkana for a couple of days last week, so I'll provide my perspective from that.
Performance - Performance is entirely adequate. 9.1 sec. 0 - 100kph is NOT slow. I could happily live with the performance of a 16TS. In fact, I'm content with the slightly enhanced but entirely adequate performance of my R1090 Dauphine, so an Arkana provides supercar performance relative to that. The engine and transmission are well matched and are smooth performers except when trying for the last 10% of performance, when things lose their composure a bit, but that's nothing unusual. I'm not concerned about the engine being only 1332cc - after all, my RS Megane is only 1.8 litre and F1 cars are only 1.6 litre!
Handling - I didn't push it very hard, but it felt good with reasonable levels of grip and no nasty habits. Obviously it's a bit higher than 'normal' cars which must affect ultimate performance, but that applies to all SUVs! The higher clearance brings benefits on bad roads.
Packaging & Comfort - Front seats are comfortable, controls are typical Renault and there's adequate rear head and leg room. Boot volume is good and the false floor useful. It also has all of the usual modern electronic aids and tricks, most of which I don't need.
Economy - I managed 'mid sixes', which is about the same as a Kadjar or Captur and better than many others. A practical range from the 50 litre tank is about 700km, so economy and range shouldn't be an issue.
Build Quality and Materials - It seems to be well built from good quality materials.
Overall - It reminds me most of a Scenic. It's not a RS, but it's not a truck either. I'm giving it the 'thumbs up'
Thanks for that. I must go to the local camouflaged dealer for a third time and see if a single person from new car sales shows interest in a potential buyer parking a Scenic directly in front of the sales office. You'll have seen my "Suzuki Arkana" photograph I imagine.....