2021 Renault Arkana Launched in Australia

Renault Japon finally offered the ''normal Megane'' (1.3L turbo + EDC) again. However, they don't sell Arkana nor Koleos there.

Attachments

• 2021-08 Megane Intens 1 st Edition.JPG
    2021-08 Megane Intens 1 st Edition.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 96
As I mentioned earlier, I think they have dropped the base model level, and we should compare Zen for Zen, with similar equipment levels.
Then the Arkana is about $1000 less than Koleos.
Hello Fordman,

By default, the Arkana Zen is the base model, it's the cheapest of the range. It may have some extra equipment when compared to the base Koleos Life (and maybe the Captur Life) but if you turn up at a Renault showroom and ask for the cheapest Arkana, that's what you'll get.
The prices I'm using are RRP from the Renault Australia website and I think it's fair to compare them at entry-level, mid-range, and top-spec variants. Specification won't be identical but close enough. No doubt the naming convention on the Arkana is so you will do a comparison of Zen for Zen and Intens for Intens, not at; base, mid, and top spec. (The RS-Line Arkana doesn't have any extra equipment over the Koleos Intens, might even have less.)

But even if you did compare the mid range Koleos Zen with the entry level Arkana Zen, the Arkana is only $800 cheaper, that's about 2%.
Still think for the sake of $800 I'd buy the Koleos if I was in the market right now.
If you're buying purely on price, you can drive away in a Koleos for less than the cheapest Arkana. You won't get as many features, but you'll get a larger and (arguably) more practical car.

Cheers

Hello Fordman,

By default, the Arkana Zen is the base model, it's the cheapest of the range. It may have some extra equipment when compared to the base Koleos Life (and maybe the Captur Life) but if you turn up at a Renault showroom and ask for the cheapest Arkana, that's what you'll get.
The prices I'm using are RRP from the Renault Australia website and I think it's fair to compare them at entry-level, mid-range, and top-spec variants. Specification won't be identical but close enough. No doubt the naming convention on the Arkana is so you will do a comparison of Zen for Zen and Intens for Intens, not at; base, mid, and top spec. (The RS-Line Arkana doesn't have any extra equipment over the Koleos Intens, might even have less.)

But even if you did compare the mid range Koleos Zen with the entry level Arkana Zen, the Arkana is only $800 cheaper, that's about 2%.
Still think for the sake of $800 I'd buy the Koleos if I was in the market right now.
If you're buying purely on price, you can drive away in a Koleos for less than the cheapest Arkana. You won't get as many features, but you'll get a larger and (arguably) more practical car.

Cheers

But of course if you want a Koleos that has 4X4, that is a dollar or two more than any Arkana, at $50,153. According to Renault Australia on their web this morning a Koleos Intens 4x2 should cost you $47,528 against an Arkana Intens at $41,384, or if you must have silly wheels, a sunroof and red stitching on your Arkana, the RS-Line costs $44,989. I think I would be comparing both Intens 4X2 models for real value.

Hello Fordman,

Cheers
I agree Koleos is more practical especially space wise. However, you better to compare the powertrain between these two models, Koleos is getting aged the current model since 2016 and especially the Nissan sourced 2.5L petrol engine (port injection) is almost 20 years old (2TR/QR25) + hoary CVT. While on the other hand, Arkana debut in 2019 come with much newer 1.3L direct injection turbo petrol engine (H5Ht)+ EDC (Efficient Dual Clutch) transmission.

Note a multi marque dealership in Warnambool is advertising Renault on regional TV. Probably the first Renault dealer there since the less than competent MotorHouse lost the franchise mid 1970's. Interesting move back into the country, quite the opposite of Inchcape. No dealers in South East SA anymore.

Note a multi marque dealership in Warnambool is advertising Renault on regional TV. Probably the first Renault dealer there since the less than competent MotorHouse lost the franchise mid 1970's. Interesting move back into the country, quite the opposite of Inchcape. No dealers in South East SA anymore.
Well, good re western Victoria but our local dealer in Perth is still camouflaged. I emailed Renault Australia but no reply. I've given up on them.

Well, good re western Victoria but our local dealer in Perth is still camouflaged. I emailed Renault Australia but no reply. I've given up on them.
Isn't the entire Renault sales organisation under the control of Ateco? Renault Australia is probably just an office in the boot of an FJ Holden these days.

Isn't the entire Renault sales organisation under the control of Ateco? Renault Australia is probably just an office in the boot of an FJ Holden these days.
Yes, but there's a Renault manager within Ateco as I understand the emails I've sent and received. The conspicuous dealership premises they used to occupy up the road (outside the main car strip) is now a very conspicuous TESLA dealer. Renault is advertised by a few tired flags in the car yard area within a well-badged, well-located Suzuki dealership. You can see them if you know to look closely.