2013 208 GTI engine oil

I simply asked a question about Castrol Edge FS 5W30 you use and as I am not married to a particular oil brand was only inquiring about oils regardless of brand that had Peugeot approvals and could be purchased locally.

There is no need to get your knickers in a twist

Knickers? Peugeot corporate approvals of Total? Mates in bed!

I am sick of engine oil turf wars. I have recommended what I use. get over it.

Over and out.

Some info that may be of use to people that do not wish to use Total oil, but for whatever reason prefer to use approved oil. This is the email I received from Peugeot when enquiring about the availability of Total oil. In my opinion any ACEA approved C3 oil would be safe to use. Hope this may be of help.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Please be advised your vehicle 208 GTI must use an oil grade of 5W/30 with a PSA standard of B71 2297.

The only oils certified by PSA with this standard are the TOTAL QUARTZ INEO HTC 5W30 and MOBIL 1 ESP / 5 W 30. Total oil can be purchased from another authorised Peugeot and Citroen service centre.

Thank you for your feedback regarding availability of oil. We will pass your feedback to the right department.

Please contact us if you have any further enquiry.

Kind Regards

Bharti Rana
Customer Relations
Peugeot Australia

Level 2, 4 Burbank Place, Norwest NSW 2153

T: 1300 304 077
E: crt@peugeot.com.au

Hi Bharti,

Correct men if I'm wrong, but ESP & INEO branded oils are for Diesel engines mainly.

BMW has installed 100,000's of Prince engines in their Minis. PSA in Peugeot and Citroen.

PSA recommend TOTAL, because they are in cahoots with each other.

BMW have always recommend BMW Longlife-01 oil certification and this oil
is such:

I have been using this oil on my two Prince engines for over 11 years

You can get it on eBay for circa $70.00

Sulphated ash by wt -- Ineo ECS 0.69%; Castrol C2 professional 0.7%; Penrite C2 0.8%; Castrol Edge 1.2%

The oils first compounded for particle filters have their benefits. Particle filters are starting to appear on petrol cars, as well as direct injection. It's ash content that brought about PSA's current recommendation, not a relationship with TotalEnergies..

Last edited:
Good to know Peugeot give the Mobil oil the tick of approval, SCA sells it, expensive at ~$90 but they have good discounts fairly regularly.

Hi Bharti,

Correct men if I'm wrong, but ESP & INEO branded oils are for Diesel engines mainly.
Any of the C rated oils are primarily for diesels, to stop their DPFs from clogging up... With the prevalence of diesel in europe, there was a move to rationalise oils and all engines get them now.

Thats generally fine in europe with good quality fuel, but here in straya the sulphur levels in our petrol are quite high - and C oils degrade faster than the A/B rated oils. Also of note for engine with flat tappets (such as in my Alfa) the HTHS in C oils is lower so wear is higher.

There are negligiable differences in catalyst protection.

Whether or not you reckon a low ash oil helps with inlet clogging on DI engines is up for debate, thankfully my Multiair Alfa is port injected!

Good to know Peugeot give the Mobil oil the tick of approval, SCA sells it, expensive at ~$90 but they have good discounts fairly regularly.
At least people that want to use an approved oil have a choice.

Autobarn has the approved Mobil oil on special at $79.99

Any of the C rated oils are primarily for diesels, to stop their DPFs from clogging up... With the prevalence of diesel in europe, there was a move to rationalise oils and all engines get them now.

Thats generally fine in europe with good quality fuel, but here in straya the sulphur levels in our petrol are quite high - and C oils degrade faster than the A/B rated oils. Also of note for engine with flat tappets (such as in my Alfa) the HTHS in C oils is lower so wear is higher.

There are negligiable differences in catalyst protection.

Whether or not you reckon a low ash oil helps with inlet clogging on DI engines is up for debate, thankfully my Multiair Alfa is port injected!

I can only go by what AECA state in relation to HTHS and valve train wear.

Please have a read at the attached document and compare A/B and C3 oils and share your views on it. The Mobil oil has a quite high HTHS. Thank you for your input.

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W30

SAE Grade 5W30

Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)

@ 40ºC 72.8

@ 100ºC 12.1

Viscosity Index 164

Sulphated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 0.6

HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150 ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.58

Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97) 45

Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 254

Density @ 15.6 ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.850

Attachments

• 2021_ACEA_oil_sequences_light-duty_engines.pdf
    512.5 KB · Views: 92
Those are the minimum specs so will vary brand to brand. I think the Shell Helix Ultra I use is closer 4. Really though there is bugger all in it, especially if you dont push the service intervals.

And I guess the BMW Castrol partnership is of no note here.
I know of no association with BMW and Castrol

They even have their own oil for Prince engines.

I know of no association with BMW and Castrol

They even have their own oil for Prince engines.

You think BMW make that oil your cred is now shot.

Perhaps this will stop the crap that BMW make their own oils.

bp (February 15th, 2021), a world leading supplier of high-performance lubricants, and the manufacturer of the Castrol Oil Brands, is proud to announce it has been selected as the engine oil partner for BMW and MINI authorized dealers across the US, Canada, and Mexico. This new five-year agreement re-establishes a long-standing partnership between these two premium brands as Castrol had been the engine oil supplier over a 14-year span.

As part of the recent program, bp will continue to produce BMW Group’s branded engine oils which meet the OEM’s most recent and rigorous engine specifications including LL-17 FE+ and LL-12 FE as well as older generation specifications such as LL-01 and LL-04. The BMW branded lubricant formulations are based on Castrol EDGE, a leading full synthetic brand strengthened by Fluid Titanium Technology which increases film strength, reduces friction, and improves lubrication under the intense pressure of high output engines.

“We are honoured to have been selected by the BMW Group to resume our position as their lubricant supplier. The BMW brand is both iconic and globally recognized as a symbol of performance engineering, which is well aligned with bp market position. We look forward to future collaboration in lubricant development as well as the pursuit of new sustainability initiatives,” said Laura Posadas Regional President, Castrol Americas.

At least people that want to use an approved oil have a choice.

Autobarn has the approved Mobil oil on special at $79.99

Hi.

So you have now identified an oil that has the Peugeot approval, and also at a reasonable cost. I think I know what you will be doing this weekend. Hope it goes well.

Cheers.

Knickers? Peugeot corporate approvals of Total? Mates in bed!

I am sick of engine oil turf wars. I have recommended what I use. get over it.

Over and out.
HI.

I thought you said "Over and Out". https://writingexplained.org/idiom-dictionary/over-and-out The idiom over and out is an expression that people use during radio communication. It is a way for the speaker to tell the listener that the speaker is done talking, and the conversation is complete.

Yet I see you have posted three times since: #24, #32 & #33.