2008 build X7 C5 Daytime running lights (DRL)

Leanmor

Fellow Frogger
Hi Folks

Has anybody replaced one of these bulbs (RHS) and if they have what is the best way to access ????

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
DRLs on a 2008 C5 X7? No such thing. The lower lights are fog lights that can only turn on when the main beams are on. Those in the outer edges of the main headlight assembly are turning assistance lights that only work when headlights are on and you are driving at slower speeds.

Later C5 X7s have DRLs which are an LED band in the headlight assembly and they illuminate whenever the engine is running and I think turn off when headlights are operational.

DRLs on a 2008 C5 X7? No such thing. The lower lights are fog lights that can only turn on when the main beams are on. Those in the outer edges of the main headlight assembly are turning assistance lights that only work when headlights are on and you are driving at slower speeds.

Later C5 X7s have DRLs which are an LED band in the headlight assembly and they illuminate whenever the engine is running and I think turn off when headlights are operational.

Well I beg to differ :clown: :trouslap:

Ours is a 2008 and has main, driving, turning assistance, fog, and DRL lights. . .
The bulb has awkward access from the underside of the headlight unit

attachment.php

These when activated will come on with engine running during daylight, switch off when headlights are activated via switch or auto lights on.

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• X7 DRL.jpg
    X7 DRL.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 1,628
I agree with you GreenBlood as my car is 2008 build with DRL's & you can turn them on or off. When you say expensive what would that be ?? please.

Also is that photo with the new LED bulb??

I agree with you GreenBlood as my car is 2008 build with DRL's & you can turn them on or off. When you say expensive what would that be ?? please.

Also is that photo with the new LED bulb??

Yes, photo of my car with LED DRL. . .

The original halogen bulbs HP24W are around $35.00 each if you can find them - ebay Germany might be your best shot.
LEDs will be less than half with free postage e.g. $27.00 for a pair.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/No-Erro...714815?hash=item2ae08934ff:g:KHMAAOSwW7ldTnGd

With the LEDs you need the base from your existing halogen bulbs, the bulbs are on two pins and can be pried free of the base - then fit the LED to the base.

Cheers
Chris

Yes the 2008 had daylight lights, but not in the sense I think UFO is thinking. They were just one bulb under each headlight. The issue in Australia is that a lot of them were not activated and therefore weren't available in the settings on the dash. They had to be turned on with a lexia as an option otherwise didn't seem to exist, only then could you see them on the lighting menu on the dash. John at DS motors did that for me on a 2008 Tourer.
Later cars - maybe 2010- 2011 year model?- the led daylight driving lights were always in the settings, but you had still to select them, then they would always be on while driving. Actually they are still on when the headlights are on , but much dimmmer.

Last edited:
I couldn't pull the lamp base out from under the light even though I could manage to get a hex key into it and turn it to release the twist lock. I ended having to take the bumper bar off - 3 times. The first time I put some LEDS in. They only lasted a few weeks before going open circuit. So I ordered some bulbs from Germany on EBay and took the bumper off for the second time. This time I put some fishing line under the light fitting so I had something to pull down on to release the bulb holder next time. The bulbs are still going OK. So if the fitting come out easily next time, I might try some LEDS again.

Then the radiator fan failed, so the bumper had to come off again for a few weeks while a new fan came from Poland. You know how it goes.

Cheers, Ken

Last edited:
great post, i've a dead rhs DRL too, c5 x7.
was looking in the service manual on how to disassemble the rear seat arm rest after a chocolate sundae incident, and noticed the manual says that the DRL bulb can't be separated from the holder.

So, that is correct, have to buy the bulb and holder as an assembly?

There have been a few threads on using LED replacements, most suggest that they'll log a code.

Have seen some normal bulb LEDs that are ballasted to have the same resistance.

has anyone had any success using LEDs without causing a code?

great post, i've a dead rhs DRL too, c5 x7.
was looking in the service manual on how to disassemble the rear seat arm rest after a chocolate sundae incident, and noticed the manual says that the DRL bulb can't be separated from the holder.

So, that is correct, have to buy the bulb and holder as an assembly?

There have been a few threads on using LED replacements, most suggest that they'll log a code.

Have seen some normal bulb LEDs that are ballasted to have the same resistance.

has anyone had any success using LEDs without causing a code?

Bulb can easily be separated from holder
The LED I linked to will not throw up error codes.

Cheers
Chris

Grabbed some of E bay led same holder and 1.5w led $2.50 Inc postage from corona land brought 10 cause cannot resist a bargain

thanks.
have ordered them from ebay, just have to wait for them to turn-up 2-4 weeks.
did want to do them with the upcoming service, but oh well.
much appreciated.

The bulb has awkward access from the underside of the headlight unit.

attachment.php

the LED bulbs turned up and had a look at fitting them today.
Might be able to get to the right hand one but looks like the front bumper will have to be partially removed, as described in the service manual.

does anyone know what size torx bit is needed to undo the light holder?
and any other tips on getting them out without removing the bumper.
its a 3.0ttV6. there isn't much room in the engine bay.

One of my second lot of QI bulbs has just blown so I will try the LEDs that Chris has suggested.

Cheers, Ken

OK, suitably chastised I return to this thread with some pics from an adventure in C5 bumper land yesterday. Yep, the front bar came off to replace the washer pump. More of that in a separate post later.

Anyway, yes the older C5 X7 has the DRLs as mentioned above and there are globes in them but obviously never activated in the system. My apologies to Leanmor for being less than subtle.

They must be an absolute pain to get to with the bumper on. I took pics of everything in place sans bumper. I hope they make sense for perspective.

Right side - it's up in there...

c5 work day aug2010.jpg

a bit closer
c5 work day aug2011.jpg

You're trying to find this. I think it was a T40 or T45 size socket. 1/4 turn required to loosen or tighten then extract downwards. Refitting would be reversal of cursing and further skin loss I imagine.

c5 work day aug2015.jpg

The fitting with globe - for some reason it's still in perfect condition

c5 work day aug2014.jpg

Left side

c5 work day aug2017.jpg

closer

c5 work day aug2020.jpg

What a PITA to get to without considerable disassembly. Maybe there's a reason some dealers didn't activate them? ;-)

An update.

Yesterday in amongst other work there was an opportunity to connect the car to a Diagbox interface and software. Finally the DRLs are activated.

Thanks Simon.

I remember seeing the DRL option in diagbox when I programmed my virgin BSI but when I looked yesterday, I could not find it. i looked at both the BSI and display screen options. Can someone who has done this recently point me in the right direction with Diagbox? Also, are there bulbs already installed or do I need to source and install some?