Changing headlight globes on C5 X7

3CV

Fellow Frogger
There is a post on the Citroen Owners UK site with a link to Aussie Frogs http://www.aussiefro...ead.php?t=64066
that was incomplete but on other websites there seems to be differences of opinion as to whether it is necessary to remove the bumper or it just needs slender flexible joints to reach and replace the bulb(s) Has anyone had any experience in changing the bulbs on these later models? It would seem prudent to replace both bulbs while one is at it and I wondered what the consensus was about LED or halogen bulbs. (street legal)

The headlight globes are easy to replace insitu unless your talking about the day time halogen globes that can be a pain but again don’t need removal

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Sounds like you are talking about an early X7 with removable DRL halogen bulbs?

As David says the main light bulbs are easy and accessible H1/H7/W5W/H7

The DRL bulbs are a different matter, I've tried without success to remove by feel - with the right tool, slim arms and fingers it is possible (apparently) to change without bumper removal. The bulb holder requires a quarter turn anti-clockwise and a bit of a wriggle (the bulb holder not you). . . A Torx 40 on a small ratchet would be the tool of choice, a small towel strategically placed under the headlight to catch the dropped tool, bulb, if you are successful, and chunks of skin and blood. :evil:

Here's a few pics I've taken of a headlight I just happen to have handy :confused:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The jury is out on whether LEDs are an improvement over halogen for the DRL, most comments I've read suggest they are not as readily seen during daylight. Halogens have a much shorter life and are hellishly expensive. I guess if you are going through the pain of replacement you might be swayed toward LED?

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• DRL access1.jpg
    DRL access1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,466
  • DRL access2.jpg
    DRL access2.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,493
  • DRL access3.jpg
    DRL access3.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 2,590
Funny, I changed a set of H7 halogens (Nightbreakers) yesterday. The usual wire spring clip isn't used. There are sheet metal spring clips on each side of the bulb flange. If you bend one out of shape when removing you'll have to use a small screwdriver to fix it before you clip in the new one. The globe inserts into a tube inside the reflector, so don't bend it aside.

As mentioned above, there is enough under-bonnet room.

Funny, I changed a set of H7 halogens (Nightbreakers) yesterday. The usual wire spring clip isn't used. There are sheet metal spring clips on each side of the bulb flange. If you bend one out of shape when removing you'll have to use a small screwdriver to fix it before you clip in the new one. The globe inserts into a tube inside the reflector, so don't bend it aside.

As mentioned above, there is enough under-bonnet room.

Some pictures to help know what you are dealing with, yes, both H7 (low beam and side bend light) use a different style clip to hold the bulb. . .

attachment.php

The H1 high beam uses the more common wire clip, push and move to one side type, in this pic you also see the W5W side light bulb holder at the top. . .

attachment.php

These are images for the early halogen style headlight units, there is an intermediate unit that has the angel eye style LED DRL that should never need changing, and the final style using Xenon turn lighting and angel eye LED.

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• H7 Main beam clips.jpg
    H7 Main beam clips.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,267
  • H1 High beam clip.jpg
    H1 High beam clip.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 1,277
You are lucky to have the wire clip. It's much easier, being unlikely to bend out of shape on bulb removal.

All low and high beam bulbs are accessible through the unscrewable ports on the back of each light.

With the DRLs, I could unscrew them the quarter turn but I couldn't pull them down and out under the light. I think it is the water seal that holds them in. So it was a bumper off job for me. I fitted some LED globes which failed within a few days so it was a bumper off job again when some halogen globes had arrived through ebay from Germany. This time I added some fishing nylon loops to the bottom of the bulb holder so hopefully, next time I can pop them down and out.

I have just had the bumper off again recently to replace the radiator fan/controller which had stopped rotating.

Cheers, Ken

All low and high beam bulbs are accessible through the unscrewable ports on the back of each light.

With the DRLs, I could unscrew them the quarter turn but I couldn't pull them down and out under the light. I think it is the water seal that holds them in. So it was a bumper off job for me. I fitted some LED globes which failed within a few days so it was a bumper off job again when some halogen globes had arrived through ebay from Germany. This time I added some fishing nylon loops to the bottom of the bulb holder so hopefully, next time I can pop them down and out.

I have just had the bumper off again recently to replace the radiator fan/controller which had stopped rotating.

Cheers, Ken

Inspired by your fishing line trick I've made a modification that appears to work well. . .

Drilled two holes, using cable ties fixed a short steel rod to act as a lever. Works perfectly off the car, easy quarter turn to unlock the holder and remove whole unit.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Should make locating the bulb unit easy too, and a quick flick of the lever to lock in position.

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• DRL 1.jpg
    DRL 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,070
  • DRL 2.jpg
    DRL 2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,073
  • DRL 3.jpg
    DRL 3.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,035
That’s cheating

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

That’s cheating

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE

Had to make a modification to the modification for the right hand side. . . the straight lever wasn't going to do the same job so a right angle bend.

attachment.php

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• DRL 4.jpg
    DRL 4.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 977
I'm not sure which is the X7, but I had a 2005 C5 which was a pain in the arse to change. My daughter, with slim hands was not inclined to be helpful, although maybe a wife could be? In the end, I took to the plastic surround with a hacksaw to make some more space and was happier ever since.

The X7 is the last of the C5s, starting from 2008. It had a different, and much improved, body and suspension from the two earlier versions

Just to add on the debate whether to use LED or Halogen.
LED's are not easily visible during the day which is an issue.
Lexia allows choice of:
1 Just running DRL
2. Running DRL together with Side Lamps.

Second option enhances visibility

My second set of HP 24 bulbs have been blown for a few years now and it was time to service the car. I have had another set of LED replacements which were sold as CAN compatible DRL replacements so I thought I would put them in and try out my fishing line pull down ties and replace them without taking the bumper off. I got both of the LED replacements in eventually and they both work. It was a bit of a trial though especially the right hand side.

I started on the RHS as someone on FCF said this was the easiest side. However, I did not find that mainly because of the windscreen washer fill pipe. I had to wedge my arm down across the back of the headlight and some sharp metal edgings with a short T45 torx key, find the light fitting (the bits of fishing line helped here), get the torx key onto their hole with enough room to rotate the degrees required. The fishing line held, the the bulb pulled down easily and I got the lot out. I replaced the burnt out bulb with the LED and looked at Chris's pictures above for the orientation required and then went to put the RHS back in. I spent lots of time trying to fiddle it back into place and go back up into the socket and eventually I thought I had it in place, but the LED would not light.

I decided to have a go at the other side. The person on FCF said that it would be easy if you took the battery out. I did take the battery cover off and found this side had much better access coming in from the centre of the car. There was a wiring loom that I had to push down but I got the torx key to engage easily, lots of room to rotate it and then was able to pull the lamp holder down keeping the torx key engaged. I took a pic of the angle of the fitting and the torx key before I swapped the Bulb to the LED, made sure the torx key was in engaged in the same position on the lamp fitting and then went back under the headlight. It re-engaged easily in the socket and I was able to lock it in place with the torx key; and it worked too. Doing that side was a lot easier.

If you look carefully, you can see the bulb sitting inside through the ABS cover from the outside. The RHS LED looked a bit off vertical so I went back in under the light with the torx key to see if I could re-seat the bulb holder. (More cuts on the back of the hand.) On the second engagement of the torx key, I managed to be able to rotate the bulb holder into position (it was apparently not locked in before) and the LED lit up. Success and job done. It will be interesting to see how these LED lights last.

It looks like Chris has a second set of headlights to work out his lever system. I'm not to sure how it will work in real life though. It will certainly be easier to get the lamp holder out but putting them back in will be a bit more difficult. Anyway, I have now done it once without having to take the bumper off, but that means something else will go wrong that means I have to take the bumper off next week.

Cheers, Ken

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how these LED lights last.

It looks like Chris has a second set of headlights to work out his lever system. I'm not to sure how it will work in real life though. It will certainly be easier to get the lamp holder out but putting them back in will be a bit more difficult. Anyway, I have now done it once without having to take the bumper off, but that means something else will go wrong that means I have to take the bumper off next week.

Cheers, Ken
Hi ken,
Yes I had a second set of lights to play with, I was replacing very degraded units with new so had to remove the bumper for this exercise - it's getting close to 3 years since installing the LEDs and they are still going strong :cool:

Cheers
Chris

Fitted the "no fault" LEDs DRL that someone here on the forum recommended to replace a faulty halogen bulb.
Bumper off, slow but not difficult - no blood loss too - following the instructions DFO gave sometime back.
Happy with the LEDs - look fine, being white light they look more modern than the yellowish hue of halogens.

Does anyone have suggestions for better high beam bulbs?

If you put LEDs into a reflector designed for halogen bulbs it's unlikely the beam will work as the focus is not in the correct position. It is also illegal for that reason. The easy solution is Nightbreaker or equivalent halogens. Performance is much improved at the expense of bulb life.

Much less simple is converting to xenons from a C5 wrecker.

Agreed, LED bulbs aren't suitable for use in headlights and high beams for that exact reason.

Fine for DRL that are just a visibility thing, or fashion accessory that gets bigger and brighter with every new model. Something passed me last week, on a very sunny day, the whole front was brilliant bright DRL! Couldn't see the badge or shape of the car - haha

The C5 high beam are adequate as they are, just not great. A little better would be nice for the limited night driving we do. How long do the Nightbreakers last?