2001 pug 306 new clutch cable failure after 3000 kms...5 months ....any ideas

dogboy

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Hi all...well i noticed a frayed clutch cable so i ordered a new clutch cable from EAI in box hill and had my mechanic install it.
all seemed well and i had a normal feel when i depressed the clutch...no excessive force needed to depress the clutch
after some kms went by i noticed the clutch pedal would sometimes stick near floor and id get my foot under it to get it back up...shortly after the cable broke the plastic bit that stops it going through the firewall....
so i send photos to AEI and they say no manufacturing fault and that its the result of excessive force
quote ..
He has said the failure is not due to a manufacturing fault.

It appears that the failure has occurred due to excessive force on the outer sheath leading to the plastic mounting point to snap, the excessive force could have occurred due to a stiff clutch operation.

so i sought further clarification and got this..quote ...

We can only see the damage to the cable.
We have previously not received a claim on a clutch cable with this problem.
The cable has been in the vehicle without an issue until now, something has now caused excessive force to brake the mounting on the outer cable. This would have been caused by the clutch operation, that is where you need to look for a problem.

so...is this incorrect installation? or could it be the clutch fork is somehow stiff or stuck??
appreciate your input

weasel words "excessive force" your car is not a Jedi? the excessive force was no doubt caused by their crap cable jamming inside the liner why else would the pedal stick to the floor

weasel words "excessive force" your car is not a Jedi? the excessive force was no doubt caused by their crap cable jamming inside the liner why else would the pedal stick to the floor
what gets me is the avoidance of responsibility....im told by mechan ic he fitted it ok and now european auto imports say its not the part...guess it must be my fault...sigh

Years back I tore through about three clutch cables in quick succession (German car). on fitting number three I noticed that the big "watchspring" on the clutch release lever sticking out the side of the gearbox had broken - this didn't affect the operation of the clutch as the springs in the clutchplate were waaaayy stronger than the piddly thing around the lever. However I got a new spring and replaced same - the clutch cable then lasted the remaining life of the car - coincidence? I don't know but I guess that lever-spring was there for a reason - perhaps there was 'chatter' happening without it that fatigued the cable?

In your case I'm just staggered that such a 'recent' car still has a clutch cable! - most now are hydraulic with "concentric" slave cylinder - be afraid, be very afraid 🤬