Clutch cable - 306

Deanodriver

Fellow Frogger
Seems my 306's clutch cable is knackered. Where would be the best place for me to get another, that'll be open over the Chrissy/New Year period? I'm in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

I've called Peugeot, and the cable's $116. They're about $65 delivered on eBay (but I'd rather not wait two weeks for it to ship from the UK). I've called up the local Repco, and the bloke there suggested that they could make a cable up, but I'd rather get one that's designed for the car.

As I've got no working car at present, something within walking distance of public transport would be nice :)

The usual Melbourne suspects would be French Connection (Airport West), EAI and AutoParis (both in the Box Hill area, I think), I would imagine.

OK, my problems might be a bit more than the clutch cable.

Long story short, last weekend the clutch pedal went to the ground, and promptly stayed there. Waited two hours for a tow-truck to get the bastard home.

Now I'm having a go at fixing it. First I thought the cable would have snapped, hence the above post. Seems OK, there's still some tension in the cable.

Then I noticed that the clip on the pedal had come off. I put the clip back on and tried pressing the pedal down. Still went almost all the way to the ground before noticing any resistance.

Now I thought maybe the issue is at the other end, and promptly removed the cable from the other end to see if I could do anything. Thing is, I don't know if I've put it back correctly! I've attached a picture of how it is now.

Worrying thing is I pull on that cable and the silver arm doesn't move at all. I can easily move the arm around with no resistance (although the car is out of gear). Does that mean my clutch is buggered?

Could someone please shed some light for me? Thanks :)

Attachments

• Photo 23-12-2013 20 50 58.jpg
    Photo 23-12-2013 20 50 58.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 13,090
  • Photo 23-12-2013 19 32 30.jpg
    Photo 23-12-2013 19 32 30.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 9,374
I'm betting that the shitty plastic framed thrust bearing has collapsed and you are now rooted. It's a gearbox off jobby to replace clutch, thrust bearing, thrust bearing shaft (thingy) etc. Getting that locator pin out of the clutch lever arm is a right pr1ck of a job too. More than likely you will find the cable is perfectly ok.

Seems my 306's clutch cable is knackered. Where would be the best place for me to get another, that'll be open over the Chrissy/New Year period? I'm in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.

I've called Peugeot, and the cable's $116. They're about $65 delivered on eBay (but I'd rather not wait two weeks for it to ship from the UK). I've called up the local Repco, and the bloke there suggested that they could make a cable up, but I'd rather get one that's designed for the car.

As I've got no working car at present, something within walking distance of public transport would be nice :)

Our 306 cable has a self adjusting mechanism either attached or part of the cable. I reckon $116 is pretty reasonable (about 6 oil filters) and ours has lasted 19 years so far, so about $6 per week. Bird in the hand I reckon, especially if the cable Peugeot supply matches the VIN number of the vehicle. They sold far more 306 variants in UK, so whether you get exactly the right cable from there would bother me a bit whilst waiting.

Bad time for it to break! Good luck with the replacement. I'd ponder a bit on whether the clutch is getting heavy and on the way out too, but you'll perhaps find the new cable gives a lighter touch.

And I agree with Craig's post - might just be that it isn't the cable.

I'm betting that the shitty plastic framed thrust bearing has collapsed and you are now rooted. It's a gearbox off jobby to replace clutch, thrust bearing, thrust bearing shaft (thingy) etc. Getting that locator pin out of the clutch lever arm is a right pr1ck of a job too. More than likely you will find the cable is perfectly ok.

I'm fearing that you're right. If that's the case, then I'll be getting rid of the thing. It's not worth spending however much that'll cost to fix, when the car's got a litre-a-fortnight oil habit.

Something else that may well support your theory. For the last few weeks, there has been a light grinding sound when pressing the clutch in.

Our 306 cable has a self adjusting mechanism either attached or part of the cable. I reckon $116 is pretty reasonable (about 6 oil filters) and ours has lasted 19 years so far, so about $6 per week. Bird in the hand I reckon, especially if the cable Peugeot supply matches the VIN number of the vehicle. They sold far more 306 variants in UK, so whether you get exactly the right cable from there would bother me a bit whilst waiting.

Bad time for it to break! Good luck with the replacement. I'd ponder a bit on whether the clutch is getting heavy and on the way out too, but you'll perhaps find the new cable gives a lighter touch.

And I agree with Craig's post - might just be that it isn't the cable.

I'd be inclined to buy locally for the faster shipping times alone, but I guess I'd best find out whether the cable is at fault.

I'm fearing that you're right. If that's the case, then I'll be getting rid of the thing. It's not worth spending however much that'll cost to fix, when the car's got a litre-a-fortnight oil habit.

Something else that may well support your theory. For the last few weeks, there has been a light grinding sound when pressing the clutch in.

I'd be inclined to buy locally for the faster shipping times alone, but I guess I'd best find out whether the cable is at fault.

Oh yes, it'll be the (lack of) thrust bearing. I know as we had almost exactly the same thing happen in the Xsara that we had (same engine/box as yours). Only a few months after we got it sorted a bloke ran into the back of it one morning. Ended up being written off.

Interesting. I've just purchased a 306 and intend to convert it to the more serviceable push type adjustable clutch, as found on 405/205. I'm hoping the 306 pedal will accept the 405 cable. Will find out after Christmas.

Oh yes, it'll be the (lack of) thrust bearing. I know as we had almost exactly the same thing happen in the Xsara that we had (same engine/box as yours). Only a few months after we got it sorted a bloke ran into the back of it one morning. Ended up being written off.

Thanks for that :)

Hmm, gives me a bit to ponder then. It does sound like the thrust bearing is at fault, although I may well get my mechanic to look over it to confirm it for me.

Brings me to a tough decision. I could either spend the money on getting it fixed and going (with the intention to trade it in soon), or I could cut my losses and get rid of it now.

Given the other issues with the car, I'm actually leaning towards the latter. That said, if it's only a few hundred to get it going again...

Last edited:
If you're dextrous and/or have one of those remote inspection cameras, it is possible to pop off a couple of plastic covers on the side of the 'box to get a look inside the bell housing before dismantling.

If you're dextrous and/or have one of those remote inspection cameras, it is possible to pop off a couple of plastic covers on the side of the 'box to get a look inside the bell housing before dismantling.

Neither in my case, unfortunately. :)

I actually managed to get it moving (by rolling it until it was fast enough to slot into first). Not the best idea if I'm at all honest, but I managed to move it to another spot.

I'm just thinking as to whether I'll get it towed to my normal mechanic for a quick diagnosis (in case it's not the thrust bearing), or get someone local to do it.

If it is, then I'll have to work out what to do with the thing.

How many KM's has it done. When my diff blew and I pulled out the gearbox the clutch was absolutely knackered. I'd done about 235,000KM I think.

The thrust bearing had pretty much collapsed, shortly before the diff blew I think the thrust race collapsed which led to some crunching of gears, and a very heavy clutch pedal.

Pulling the gearbox out was a big job for me, but I got there in the end. Getting the job done by someone else will likely cost as much as an other car. With the 1 Litre a fortnight oil habit unless you are really attached to the car I can understand not wanting to spend the money to fix it.

I definitely considered getting rid of the S16 when the diff/gearbox exploded, but decided that I had nothing to loose by trying to pull it out myself, and with the help of the great folks here at aussie frogs (and about 2 months of elapsed time) I got it back on the road. All up I probably spent about 2K on parts (1K on the quaif LSD) but it was worth it.

Tony.

How many KM's has it done. When my diff blew and I pulled out the gearbox the clutch was absolutely knackered. I'd done about 235,000KM I think.

The thrust bearing had pretty much collapsed, shortly before the diff blew I think the thrust race collapsed which led to some crunching of gears, and a very heavy clutch pedal.

Pulling the gearbox out was a big job for me, but I got there in the end. Getting the job done by someone else will likely cost as much as an other car. With the 1 Litre a fortnight oil habit unless you are really attached to the car I can understand not wanting to spend the money to fix it.

I definitely considered getting rid of the S16 when the diff/gearbox exploded, but decided that I had nothing to loose by trying to pull it out myself, and with the help of the great folks here at aussie frogs (and about 2 months of elapsed time) I got it back on the road. All up I probably spent about 2K on parts (1K on the quaif LSD) but it was worth it.

Tony.

It's done just over 210,000km.

I'd considered doing it myself, but not having a proper garage or some of the tools doesn't work in my favour there. :)

I guess if the issue was just the clutch, I'd get it sorted. However, I've used two or three bottles of oil in the last 10,000km, and there were a few other things identified by my mechanic at the last service that would soon require attention. Taking the clutch, fixing the oil consumption issue (which I think is either something with the head or worn rings), and the other things into account, I think that sorting all of those would cost more than simply getting another car.

It overheated twice a bit over a year ago (as per this thread: http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/102329-leaky-306-a.html), and hasn't been the same since.

gents, help please? Like the person who started this thread, my clutch also went just before Christmas, (Christmas Eve to be exact) but it was just the white plastic thingy that goes over the pedal that broke. I managed to get the car towed back home and got a replacement cable from Peugeot in Nambour. Now, I've followed some instructions I found on the net describing how to remove this cable and all has gone good so far until now - how the hell do you get the cable grommet out from the bulkhead with those two pipes running right across the top of the grommet ? Any help on this would be gratefully received or does anyone on he know a good Peugeot mobile mechanic on the Sunshine Coast?

jc_hoops said:
...does anyone on he know a good Peugeot mobile mechanic on the Sunshine Coast?
Tried asking the Mongols MC? One member has extensive Pug experience.

Aside from that option, are you sure the grommet doesn't go back into the car?

It's done just over 210,000km.

I'd considered doing it myself, but not having a proper garage or some of the tools doesn't work in my favour there. :)

I guess if the issue was just the clutch, I'd get it sorted. However, I've used two or three bottles of oil in the last 10,000km, and there were a few other things identified by my mechanic at the last service that would soon require attention. Taking the clutch, fixing the oil consumption issue (which I think is either something with the head or worn rings), and the other things into account, I think that sorting all of those would cost more than simply getting another car.

It overheated twice a bit over a year ago (as per this thread: http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/102329-leaky-306-a.html), and hasn't been the same since.

I've had a bit of a think, and I might as well get the 306 back on the road if I can get it done for not too much (say, under $1000), and then drive it around for a while, with the intention of getting rid of it mid-year. At least then it buys me a little more time to save up and shop around for a replacement.

You don't get a car without money needing to be spent on it (sooner than later) for less than $1500 plus on road costs. In that context it can be sensible to fix the existing.

I would suggest it's the right time to install a like for like second hand motor. You're more than halfway there doing the clutch bearing.

You don't get a car without money needing to be spent on it (sooner than later) for less than $1500 plus on road costs. In that context it can be sensible to fix the existing.

I would suggest it's the right time to install a like for like second hand motor. You're more than halfway there doing the clutch bearing.

I'd expected that a new engine/gearbox would cost more than the car's worth to do. I'd be looking at around $5000 on a replacement car if I go that route.