1959 4cv Restoration in North Carolina USA

Meh. There may be a grain of dust or whatever under the seat shoulder, who knows. It doesn't take much to mess your measurement. Just a quick thing to check before you measure anything.
Need to be a big grain, given the sleeves are a snug fit at the top..... Fair point though.

G'day Stan - I have had some grief with AVP charging me VAT for parts sent to Australia, even after sending them a copy of an email from Austrade here in Oz stating they cannot legally do so. I even asked them for a credit (rather than a refund) for another order with them, they did not reply.
I also have an email from Ichard stating they do not charge VAT for parts purchased from them if they are shipped to a country outside the EU.
Hope this helps,

BP
At my politest, I've given up on AVP except to a friendly French address. If you have one, they are absolutely fine but of course you pay French VAT. I didn't mind that much, as no-one else had what I needed.

The cylinders all seem to be very close to .006" above the block, so all is good.

BP, thanks for the info on suppliers. I don't plan on ordering from AVP again, too bad because their prices are good (but not if paying VAT). MRP had a 15% off sale for two weeks earlier this month, so that helped make their prices very good. I am surprised that certain vendors are so bad at communicating, especially since I was using French. I think that Americans expect a lot more customer service that the French, but I don't know for sure. I am trying to look at it from their (the French) point of view.

The cylinders all seem to be very close to .006" above the block, so all is good.

BP, thanks for the info on suppliers. I don't plan on ordering from AVP again, too bad because their prices are good (but not if paying VAT). MRP had a 15% off sale for two weeks earlier this month, so that helped make their prices very good. I am surprised that certain vendors are so bad at communicating, especially since I was using French. I think that Americans expect a lot more customer service that the French, but I don't know for sure. I am trying to look at it from their (the French) point of view.
The comms business is surprising. It might be as simple as the newer suppliers not being wildly interested in posting overseas. MLP has been posting to Australia for more than 20 years! I know it can be an interesting experience in a French Post Office (nothing matches the Italian equivalent though................).

I am not sure the french want you to approach them in french. Whenever I tried, I received a grammar lesson instead of car parts.

They also have enough business in Europe to bother to go to the post office to ship to you.

Their customs formalities may be a bit over the top too if they're not setup for shipping overseas on a regular basis. I have heard of nightmarish experiences where you have to take the parcel only to a post office with customs services (which may be far and out of the way), open it up, go through the entire content with the customs officers and have it assessed to determine if you need to pay something and how much and then you have to close it there and then, pay and ship it.

Last edited:
At little more progress: Gas tank installed, gas gauge working properly, cam, timing gear and timing cover installed. The TDC pointer for the original 6v pulley seems to be in a slightly different spot than the pointer on the timing cover for the 12v Dauphine. I know that it is lower, but it seems to be a few degrees off when the crank is at TDC. Has anyone seen this before?

IMG_2634Copys.JPGIMG_2638Copys.JPGIMG_2639Copys.JPG

At little more progress: Gas tank installed, gas gauge working properly, cam, timing gear and timing cover installed. The TDC pointer for the original 6v pulley seems to be in a slightly different spot than the pointer on the timing cover for the 12v Dauphine. I know that it is lower, but it seems to be a few degrees off when the crank is at TDC. Has anyone seen this before?

View attachment 130800View attachment 130801View attachment 130802
I've never noticed that TDC matter Stan. Same crankshaft. Is the pulley correctly fitted? Maybe it is a few mm too far out and not properly engaged on the Woodroffe key?

It is properly engaged. I think the pointer was moved over for manufacturing purposes. If the pointer had just been moved up, it would be near the rounded edge and probably couldn't be welded in properly. The pointer is likely electrically spot welded, so there needs to be room on the back of the timing cover for the welder - therefore it can't be on the curved part. It is only a degree or two. I made a new pointer and will probably glue it on with JB weld. I don't even have to remove the original pointer.

Perhaps that is not the correct pulley for that motor. Just cut a new groove in the pulley and mark with a dob of white paint.

Reactions: COL
if you were to calculate the circumference of the pulley [pye D if i remember rightly ] then divide that by 360 ,will give you how many degrees out ,,its been a very long time since i owned one of these ,but is it possible that this is the timeing mark and not top dead centre ,how many degrees before tdc is the timing supposed to be set ,

I would put a new groove in the pulley as well, maybe have the old one welded up/resin filled/whatever. Lower chance of a pointy thing falling in the belt.

But before doing anything, I would check to clarify where the TDC is on that engine.

As far as I can tell from my manuals, the mark is at TDC. The location is just a difference between the small 6v pulley and the larger 12v pulley. Again, I think the difference was due to where the pointer could be mounted on the timing cover. I couldn't use the original pointer because it is so far down from the edge of the pulley. I made and installed a new pointer with the crank at TDC. On to other issues - the original type belt for the generator is slightly too short for my alternator, I will have to find which type fits. This may be a trial and error process.

Img_2640Copys.jpg

As far as I can tell from my manuals, the mark is at TDC. The location is just a difference between the small 6v pulley and the larger 12v pulley. Again, I think the difference was due to where the pointer could be mounted on the timing cover. I couldn't use the original pointer because it is so far down from the edge of the pulley. I made and installed a new pointer with the crank at TDC. On to other issues - the original type belt for the generator is slightly too short for my alternator, I will have to find which type fits. This may be a trial and error process.

View attachment 130832
That explains it. Happily there's a good range of V-belts available. Probably the only things from USA on my 4CV are a 6V alternator and a Gates belt!! Love JB Weld! I don't think I've ever seen a 12V Dauphine and pulley.

1960 and later Dauphines sold in the US were 12v. I don't think I ever saw a 6v Dauphine that ran. The 12v electrical systems were great - never had a problem starting no matter how cold it was. By 1961, Renault's reputation in the US was terrible, but by then, the cars had been properly adapted to the US market and were very good.

I stared cleaning the seats today - horribly stained with nicotine I think. I used vinegar, baking soda and lots of scrubbing. This is the only flaw in the seats. I will remove the back panel and repair it.
When I was 17, I needed to make some upholstery repairs to my car. I asked my mother "how do I use the sewing machine?" She showed me, and I never looked back
IMG_2642Copys.JPG

1960 and later Dauphines sold in the US were 12v. I don't think I ever saw a 6v Dauphine that ran. The 12v electrical systems were great - never had a problem starting no matter how cold it was. By 1961, Renault's reputation in the US was terrible, but by then, the cars had been properly adapted to the US market and were very good.

I stared cleaning the seats today - horribly stained with nicotine I think. I used vinegar, baking soda and lots of scrubbing. This is the only flaw in the seats. I will remove the back panel and repair it.
When I was 17, I needed to make some upholstery repairs to my car. I asked my mother "how do I use the sewing machine?" She showed me, and I never looked back
View attachment 130850
Funnily enough, prewar Renaults with Dynastart units WERE 12V I gather. I'm not quite sure when they changed to 6V or why.

The 12v Dauphine pulley groove is a bit farther to the rear than the 6v pulley. I am not sure why, but it makes mounting the alternator a little easier. The pulley was worn where the seal lip rides, so I spaced the new seal out just a little using an o-ring. It shouldn't leak now.

IMG_2635Copys.JPG

I finally got the head and connecting rods back from the machine shop. The head has new valves, valve guides, and a stainless steel water distribution tube. I measured the combustion chamber volume and estimate it to be between 24.5 and 25 cc. The head height is 93.5 mm, which should correspond to 25cc (found this height and volume somewhere). I think this puts the compression ratio between 8.5 and 8.9. I am using 58mm pistons and cylinders. Will this compression ratio be acceptable, or do I have to increase the combustion chamber volume a little?

Img_2668Copys.jpgImg_2670Copys.jpg