15" 205 GTi Tyres

fuji007

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

Need 2 new tyres for my 205 GTi, currently has 4 185/55/15 Michelin Pilots (thanks to the previous owner). Looked into some more Michelin 185/55/15's but found out that they are over $200 (Yikes!!).

It seems most people are replacing them with 195/50/15's these days, about half the price of the 185/55/15's.

Any recommendations ??
What brands are people running out there ??

Justin

See Citroen Forum Re: Simex SM800 or check out their web site. <a href="http://www.simextyre.com" target="_blank">http://www.simextyre.com</a>
These people should be paying me a comission :D

On my 205, previous owner has fitted 195/50/15 Michelin MXV Pilots, no probs running these tyres and heaps more brands avaialble in this size. Just ring around a selection of tyre dealers and get the best deal you can. My friend is running Yokahamas on his 206 GTi and reckons there awesome, much better than the Pirellis fitted as standard.
good luck!

I have 185 simex's on my 205......they are not very good performance tyre.....they do last a long time though (which sucks when you are trying to replace them :rolleyes: )

Forget the Michelins, I think from a price performance perspective they are poor value for money......

Have a look at Dunlop FM901s or Bridgestone RE711s in 195
________
SweetKelly4u cam

Last edited:
I've got Dunlop FM901's on my 405 Mi16....and all I can say about then is that they are AWSOME!!

Great Tyre !!

Ben

Michies are very expensive!!! I had continental sport contacts on my 205 (195/55/15) and they were crap. Don't get talked down. My rocket is now sporting Pirelli P6000 195/55/15. I picked them up for $155 a piece. They are very responsive and they never let go. I have never locked them up, even in the wet...and I drive and brake HARD evil . They are better than michies without a doubt. I will never go back!!! tongue Go for it, buy four, you won't be disappointed wink

Conversely, I hate my P6000s!

For me, the only good attribute about them is they're predictable. Probably because they let go so early you're not going at a particularly dangerous pace. They also squeal a lot! :)

Cheers,
Adrian

I agree with ntrx now that we have 901's on the GTi6. You don't realise how bad the P6000's are until you go to a REAL sports tyre.

I run Yokahama A539's on my MI16. I think they are awesome. Don't expect them to last very long if you drive hard though. 195/60/14's were $120 a tyre.

<small>[ 03 July 2002, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Cal ]</small>

I have Yoko A520s on the front of my 205GTI. Have been very happy with them. Still have the original Michelin MXVs on the rear.
The Yokos have excellent grip (though wet road grip is diminishing now they are 50% worn).
Reasonable wear - 50% after 23000kms - certainly much better than the 19,000 I got from the P6000s on my GTI6.
I read somewhere that Yokos are quite noisy, but I don't notice that - the 205 is hardly a quiet car wink

So it looks like i'm going yoko shopping (not for a conceptual artist..), whats the latest and greatest going around atm? Any nice deals around brisvegas?

I'd hate to go through buying duds and learning from my mistakes... that's far too expensive. :mallet:

Cal said:
I run Yokahama A539's on my MI16. I think they are awesome. Don't expect them to last very long if you drive hard though. 195/60/14's were $120 a tyre.

<small>[ 03 July 2002, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Cal ]</small>

The 539s (175 by 60 by 14) on my 205 SI are starting to work pretty well, more responsive and less noise as the amount of tread is reduced but I think trhat I could do better. Yes, they are wearing pretty fast.

Graham Wallis

Walshé said:
Michies are very expensive!!! I had continental sport contacts on my 205 (195/55/15) and they were crap. Don't get talked down. My rocket is now sporting Pirelli P6000 195/55/15. I picked them up for $155 a piece. They are very responsive and they never let go. I have never locked them up, even in the wet...and I drive and brake HARD evil . They are better than michies without a doubt. I will never go back!!! tongue Go for it, buy four, you won't be disappointed wink

Hey, from where did you buy your P6000's for $155??

By the way guys - how much are Dunlop FM901's??

What size? In 195/55R15 FM901s are around $180. So a bit less in 185, I guess.

Here's a good site that reviews tyres the right size for the 205! :)

http://www.miata.net/products/wheels/

Looks like A539's are the way to motor, but it all depends on your budget and annual rainfall (i live in aquaplane city).

Anyone seen a recent price on the yoko's?

Found this site that sells A539's for 137 a corner in 195/50R15. Seems reasonable considering the price of other comparable tyres is nearly twice that.

http://www.mx5mania.com.au/wheels.htm

I'm going to go phoning around tomorrow to see if any local dealers can do that price. I have a friend who paid 110 a corner for dunlop dignos (eww), and he's also due a new set o tyres (partly due to some massive tyre trauma from potholes after the last big wet).

Ahh, that's better! Dunlop's LM702 are available in that size and are the pick of the Dunlop range.

Bridgestone Potenza GIIIs are in that size.

Yokohama have their A539 and the next step down is the S306.

Sumitomo make their HTR 200 in that size, which is a decent budget tyre.

The Bridgestone and Dunlops are both very good tyres and I'd chose between them on whatever's cheaper. A539 is a good tyre, too.