CX torque mount bush

IE23

Fellow Frogger
My 2 year old mount bush is torn. Large end. I purchased from CXbasis. The engine is slumped forward by about 10mm.

Ive had many issues with engine mounts with the Xantia and now it seems the CX is suffering the same issue.

Any one purchased locally a generic bush that is better than the crap sold by CXbasis?

Looking on line many seem to look the same dimensions, say even a V6 Toyota Camry bush might do the job better?

IMG_3285.JPG

i used a peugeot 405 bottom engine mount, same as xantias etc, it presses straight in and just needs a sliver ground of the side for the width,

My guess is the bush for a non turbo 4 is not up to the job.
i used a peugeot 405 bottom engine mount, same as xantias etc, it presses straight in and just needs a sliver ground of the side for the width,

The polyurethane on Nolathane's site suggests for suspension and nothing about engine mounts. I wonder if it has vibration damping qualities. I'd be prepared to give it a try.:confused:
What are the dimensions of the bush? There are 65 and 70mm diameter inserts that suit XM, C5, Berlingo etc. that may suit.
I recall some orange urethane insert kit available for the dogbone? I recall reading about it here a few years ago and I thought it may have been UFO referring to it when he owned a CX25, but it may have been lost. Another alternative is to visit Nolathane's website and look for a generic bush.

65mm OD

What are the dimensions of the bush? There are 65 and 70mm diameter inserts that suit XM, C5, Berlingo etc. that may suit.
I recall some orange urethane insert kit available for the dogbone? I recall reading about it here a few years ago and I thought it may have been UFO referring to it when he owned a CX25, but it may have been lost. Another alternative is to visit Nolathane's website and look for a generic bush.

"crap sold by CX Basis" seems a bit harsh. I've had a dogbone from them in place for years. I'd be checking the other mounts in case it is reflecting another issue.

Cheers

All engine mounts are new supplied from CXbasis.
But yes your advice is sound I will check the lower mount as well, because that may have failed too.
thanks

"crap sold by CX Basis" seems a bit harsh. I've had a dogbone from them in place for years. I'd be checking the other mounts in case it is reflecting another issue.

Cheers

thanks but I really do not feel confident putting another mount in designed for a small engine.

I believe the mounts installed 2 years ago are either inferior quality or do not have the strength required for a near 300 torques engine or both.

I think bush 1809.17 is the 65mm OD item. Common to a few PSA cars, so maybe what Balki used.

You could take a $20 punt on something like this:
Engine Mounting for Peugeot 106 206 306 307 309 405 Partner | eBay

I have emailed Brian in case there is no quick local fix.
thanks Craig[

QUOTE=IE23;1389342]thanks, I was really hoping to find something locally and fast.[/QUOTE]

i have the complete dog bonne here with the mount changed as i mentioned before, its yours free just pay the postage

Inadequate engine mounts seems to be something of a Citroen tradition !

DSs cook 'em ( never upgraded as a part from 1955 where they endured 65 horsepower to 1975 where they were expected to service 140+ horsepower and the attendant heat soak )
GSs melt 'em ( they are undersized and sauteed in engine oil )
CXs shear them.

C5 have the same family traits. Look on Ebay. The place is awash with C5 mounts, dogbones, pork chops whatever they're called.

I have resorted to "packing" the air space around the rubber on a C5 torque reaction mount with a liberal application of Sikaflex, in an attempt to extend the service life of a new one. Some vibration at diesel idle speed but otherwise so far so good.

Inadequate engine mounts seems to be something of a Citroen tradition !

DSs cook 'em ( never upgraded as a part from 1955 where they endured 65 horsepower to 1975 where they were expected to service 140+ horsepower and the attendant heat soak )
GSs melt 'em ( they are undersized and sauteed in engine oil )
CXs shear them.

C5 have the same family traits. Look on Ebay. The place is awash with C5 mounts, dogbones, pork chops whatever they're called.

I have resorted to "packing" the air space around the rubber on a C5 torque reaction mount with a liberal application of Sikaflex, in an attempt to extend the service life of a new one. Some vibration at diesel idle speed but otherwise so far so good.

Traction Mounts seem to last for ever!!! And they call the later car's design 'PROGRESS'?????????

Traction Mounts seem to last for ever!!! And they call the later car's design 'PROGRESS'?????????

Yep !! The rubber mount is along the centre line of the car and the torque reaction is taken by the metal coil mounts. Rubber mounts on a traction "timing case" place are really quite large too, lets say the size of a piece of toast ! DS have a unique problem in that the location of the mount under the ever greater heat producing exhaust manifold ( they hot bigger and therefore closer over time too !! ) also has to deal with braking loads.
GS were UNDER the engine near the cylinder heads and became oil covered. They too have loads transferred from the inboard discs but were just too small. .....matchbox sized things that would maybe do service under a portable 240 volt Chinese generator !!! not under a 1000 kg fast moving exceedingly well braked car.

One did have hopes that bloody Peugeot would add some common sense to these "quirks" but alas it seems not so. Though one could argue that the CX was a "true" Citroen design.

Good to talk, it keeps the befuddled brain alive on a miserable Sunday morning.

Good to talk, it keeps the befuddled brain alive on a miserable Sunday morning.

Sorry to hear the morning is miserable where you are! The weather here is just glorious!
My mothers old GS 1220 which is now awaiting a repaint in my garage is still on its original engine mounts and they appear to be in good condition!

Had a look at the bottom engine month and it is stuffed. Lots of free movement and the engine is sitting forward. This mount was replaced by a French mobile mechanic just two years ago. So the new mount has failed or the mechanic failed to actually complete this task. I can't be sure which. That mechanic sure did a lot of complaining and was not happy working on the car. Naturally I have relieved him of this burden.
Anyway Brian will help me out hopefully with a replacement.