CX top mount -- pork chop
  • Register
  • Help
    Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Default CX top mount -- pork chop

Hi Guys,

quite a few years ago I purchased a bunch of parts someone had imported from the UK. Among them was several stuffed pork chop mounts, and a bush that's apparantly from a bedford truck. Note the two layers of rubber separated by metal layers.

It would fit perfectly as is (yeah slightly wider, but that wouldn't matter). The guy I bought the parts from said you cut them in half and make two mounts with them. Thinking it would be similar to using a solid bar where NVH is concerned I figured cutting it in half would halve the torque needed to depress the rubber.

The rubber is actually much softer than the rubber used in a standard CX mount. So it's possible this may well be ok ??? We'll soon see I guess

This is the bush... to cut in in half I just used a hacksaw. You need to keep spraying the blade with lubricant to cool it so it doesn't stick to the rubber. (eg: WD40)

To get the old bush out is a pain. I didn't have any sockets or pieces of pipe that would fit onto the metal outer of the bush so I could push it out. To get rid of the rubber part I just grabbed the biggest socket I had and loaded the bush in the press, then gently heated it... it then simply fell out leaving the rest of the metal outer band behind. So I painstakingly cut through that with a hacksaw blade and chiseled it out. Definitely I'll find some tube or something that sits against the outer bush exactly so it can be pressed out before I did another.

The center bore hole is larger. Most probably wouldn't worry about this ..... but I have a lathe I can play with

I just turned down the center out of the old bush to pass through the newie ... making it a perfect fit

Advertisement

The new bush fits **perfectly**.... You'll need to hammer/press it in. If we can figure out exactly which truck this bush is from (apparently bedford), we may have the answer to cheap top mount rebuilds.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX top mount -- pork chop-p1050280.jpg   CX top mount -- pork chop-p1050279.jpg   CX top mount -- pork chop-p1050278.jpg   CX top mount -- pork chop-p1050277.jpg   CX top mount -- pork chop-p1050276.jpg   CX top mount -- pork chop-p1050275.jpg  

CX top mount -- pork chop-p1050274.jpeg   CX top mount -- pork chop-p1050273.jpg  
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Nice one Shane.

I don't think I've ever seen a bush like that, with a double inner.

Good luck trying to ID it!! Maybe a vintage agricultural show/museum, with old Bedfords and the like, and the folk who restore old trucks? Someone will take one look at that and say "that's a (*)&_(&* I imagine.

If you send me a decent photo with a scale (tape measure alongside, and exact external dimensions before you buggered it up, I'll put the photo(s) in the car so I have it/them when anyone potentially useful is around.

Cheers
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

There is a chance my mate who resores trucks in Kynton will identify it. I'll send him the photos and we'll see.
    "The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge"
    Stephen Hawking

Fellow Frogger

Shane, What are the dimensions of the original bush? OD of bush, ID for bolt, width of the casting, width of the metal tube for the bolt? If it's 65 or 70mm OD for the bush, then there may be an off the shelf Citroen bush to suit, although it may be wider.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Found the original piccies from ages ago...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CX top mount -- pork chop-mount1.jpg   CX top mount -- pork chop-mount2.jpg   CX top mount -- pork chop-mount3.jpg   CX top mount -- pork chop-mount4.jpg   CX top mount -- pork chop-mount5.jpg   CX top mount -- pork chop-mount6.jpg  

'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger

There is an engine stabiliser link bush 180916 for the BX/Xantia that's 70mm OD, 10mm ID (needs 12mm), 40mm width of steel ring casing and about 52mm (needs 46mm?) across the centre section. Not quite what would seem to fit the alloy casting, but you could probably modify it and press it in. It should be around $40. However, there was that orange urethane solution ex-UK and possibly this one from Shane too, which may be better options.

Thread Information