C5 info wanted

electroboy

Fellow Frogger
Hi all, being a long time Peugeot (previously Renault) owner I now find my wife is looking for a C5 Citroen. I don't know a real lot about them but keen to get some feedback on this model - I know Citroen went back to the hydro suspension etc. with this model and there were petrol and diesel models, and there was an update of the C5 too perhaps? Anyhow, I'm keen to hear about what to look out for, are there some models better than others in the C5 range e.g. some motors to avoid etc.

"Facelift" models from '04 to '08 are probably the bargain at present, in autos you have the AL4 some versions, otherwise the AM6. Both have fans and haters. Manual boxes are rarer. 2 litre diesel is probably the pick if you don't want a petrol 2 litre car. Haggle; who else will buy it?

It depends on the budget, as usual. The second series can be got from say $15k, with lower mileages, and it is a superior beast in most respects, with the Aisin 6 speed auto box. 2 litre diesels have a great deal of "go" and there is no need to look for a 6 cylinder.

In the latest cars, steel springs are available as well as the traditional hydraulics, and also a 1.6 turbo petrol model. I find the 2 litre petrol and four speed box on older cars underwhelming.

I concur. Facelift model, 2 litre diesel with the AM6 gearbox is the one to look for

I should mention we're thinking under $10k - initially my wife was thinking a C4 but I reckon since we live in the country then the C5 would be a better country car. Maybe I'm dreaming...

The current series starts in 2008, with engine changes in 2010. All are 6 speed models.

I know of some bush C5s - they are superb high speed cruisers.

Definitely not in the game for a current model - but I gather the AM6 box is in the earlier ones but from what year?

Thanks addo, I think from what little research I've done that the AL4 is a good thing to avoid - like the 4HP20. Looking up the AM6 it seems that started around 2005 in the C5?

The AM6 valve block carks too. It's a good $1200-$2000 to renew.

Watch those facelift asking prices or you'll get stooged big time. Most are near ten years old, dealers don't want them as stock so they are in second hand car yards and the informal vendors. $6K should get you a cracker; remember your saving goes into the AM6 valve block fund so don't complain too much when it comes up.

This almost needs a 'sticky' topic as it's been asked more than a few times now.
You might find these of interest in no specific order:
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/ci...c5-2004-hdi-2l-diesel-wagon-totally-lost.html
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/106501-advise-buying-c5-wagon-estate.html
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/103278-c5-sx-vs-exclusive.html
http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/99002-new-citroen-c5-owner.html

Anyway, from: http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/103278-c5-sx-vs-exclusive.html

Potted summary looking at the diesels only ...

1) 2001-early 2005 2.0 HDi DW10 4 speed auto (AL4) VIN contains RHZ. No particle filter. Not all have Hydractive suspension, notable earlier cars which often had cloth trim. Leather and fake wood dash became common and almost standard later on to make them more appealing, but there are quite a few differences between cars. The AL4 isn't such a bad thing and some are still going strong at 300 or 400K. Others fell over well under 100K. If the gearbox is suspect to the point that it can't be lived with as is, expect a large repair bill if you have to farm out the repair.

2) Early 2005 to 2006: Facelift introduced with new dash. 2.2 HDi DW12 SINGLE turbo, 4 speed auto (ZF 4HP20). VIN contains 4HX. Has a particle filter. Xenon headlamps were an unusual option. These were SX level cars with black strips on the sides and bumpers, but almost always have leather trim and options. I like these, but like the AL4, they tend to hang on to 3rd at times around town. Wagons are not proper Hyrdactive as far as I know and I think the hatch also missed out - look for the extra spheres to confirm. They don't have an anti-sink sphere as the electric pump does that job.

3) 2006 to 2007/8. 2 new engines and a 6 speed auto introduced. All cars have a particle filter.
3A) 2.0 HDi DW10B 6 speed auto AM6 (aka AW TF80SC). VIN contains RHR. Probably the pick of the range as hatch or wagon.
3B) 2.2 HDi DW12B TWIN turbo, 6 speed auto AM6 (aka AW TF80SC). VIN contains 4HS
All of these cars had turning Xenon headlamps, colour coded bumper/door inserts, invariable had leather trim with electric adjustment and many had a sunroof. I think all had proper Hydractive suspension, but I may be wrong. Not badged as Exclusive as far as I can recall, but they are well specified anyway.

4) 2008 on X7 series. 2.0HDi DW10B with 6 speed AM6 is initially the main product sold here. Vin contains RHR. Late 2010 saw DW10C introduced and VIN changes.

If we are talking petrol engines, the general situation is:
* All 4 cylinder 2.0 litre engines (EW10) were mated to an AL4 4 speed or a 5 speed manual. Some are very well specified and some go better than others. The manuals are rare, transform the car and are not too hard to get along with in town. S1 have RFN in VIN, S2, I forget, but it will be RF?.
* V6. These are a 24 Valve ES9 engine with a 4HP20 gearbox until the facelift in 2005, when they received the AM6. Both are good cars, but the 6 speed is more refined and almost certainly the most under-appreciated model of the entire range. Fuel economy is what you'd expect around town, but very economical on the highway. There is one X7 series petrol V6 in Australia to my knowledge. The original Sagem ignition coils had a high failure rate and they became a slow seller, so there can be quite a difference between the build and compliance dates. S1 has XFX in VIN, S2 is similar.
* The X7 range was released as a diesel only range (2.0 & 2.2 4 cyl, 2.7 and later 3.0V6), but there was a batch of 2.0l petrol 4 cylinder (EW10) with the AL4 sold as entry level cars in 2009. More recently, this was replaced by the 1.6l 4 cylinder Turbo petrol (EP6 as used in DS3 etc.) engine with a 6 speed, coil springs and manual handbrake.

Last edited:
Electroboy
A lot will depend on how the car has been treated and whether any issues were corrected in warranty or not. Check for a complete history.

We have had our C5 since new, and had a couple of issues fixed under warranty. It is the earlier Series one 2.0 l diesel. A bit underpowered for traffic light drags in the city but a very good country cruiser, comfortable and economical. It has the AL4 box, but that has been no problem for us in over 160,000 kms. it really depends on the car (and luck as in anything).

Check the car has been regularly serviced. If it has a dpf (diesel particulate filter) these can cause some problems as can the egr valves (exhaust gas recirculation). Our car does not have the dpf so that is one less thing to worry about. Check if you can with a lexia before purchase for any fault codes.

We had a couple of issues in ours but these were promptly fixed under warranty back then (including the cd/radio unit replacement). However we now have a fault code coming up which says airbag fault. Checking with a lexia it turns out to be a speed sensor for the steering which is not a mission critical problem. The solution is to replace the Comms 2000 unit at a price of somewhere above $1500-2000. At this stage we are leaving it and may try to source a second hand one.

As this was an anniversary edition it had some extras that were on the exclusive, so look out for any specials that may have been added to shift the vehicles back then. If the car has a sunroof check that the drains are not blocked and that water has not therefore gone into the cabin (and perhaps fried the electrics).

Also something you may want to factor in is that the spheres on any car you are looking at will be up to around 10 years old and may be near the end of their useful life. Unlike the earlier LHM spheres (green fluid), these use an LDS fluid (orange) and are not really owner serviceable. You will need to allow for replacements within a couple of years so factor this cost in too.

Hope this helps

For $2000 I would drive to Adelaide and install a brand new, genuine COMM unit for you.

One thing to think about when buying a used diesel with a particle filter is when will you have to replenish the additive and how much will that cost. With most of the C5's that have a particle filter, that will be around 160-180K and it's far from free.

On Peter O's Comm unit ... You'd probably mean what is called the steering angle sensor is faulty. It's part of the Comm unit. You'd allow inside an hour for a competent technician to change it. If you buy used, you have to be sure it's the same unit fitted to your car as there was more than one supplier. Perhaps, buy a new unit by part number for your VIN from Europe? It involves the airbag, but you can DIY if you are careful. There will be plenty of clear instructions on the www.

For $2000 I would drive to Adelaide and install a brand new, genuine COMM unit for you.

Yeah Addo, that's what I thought when told the possible price. Not too concerned about it at the moment as we are mainly using the (shh) VW Touareg for some towing and other lugging about. Then there is always the 2CV which brings a smile to the face everytime I see it let alone go for a drive.

Thanks also David S, I think you are correct (will have to check the report I was given) the steering angle sensor is the culprit. May wait till I visit daughter in Europe and pick one up then, or maybe get her to get me one for Christmas :wink2: Anyhow was looking at more research before doing anything, just dont have time at the present with other things happening. Perhaps in September (another thing for the roundtoit list :roflmao:)
Toit.jpg

One hour for a competent mechanic - I will allow one week for me :joker:
Thanks

oh and good tip about the DPF if you have one, I think also that earlier ones had a shorter life, but as said that does not affect ours.

Thanks for the tips guys, I think it's a 2.0L diesel post 2004 that we'll be looking for - no rush as we're still hobbling along OK in some other French thing.