Advise on buying C5 wagon/estate
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Advise on buying C5 wagon/estate

Hi,
    I'm new here. what advise can you give to me about buying C5 wagon/estate MY 2001 - 2004:
    - 2.0 diesel or 3.0 V6 petrol, which one is more reliable?
    - is cam belt/timing belt only for petrol version or also for diesel?
    - at what kilometers, major service is needed (replacement of costly item)?
    - if there is black lubricant stain visible (not leaking) on the shock absorber/struts of the wheel, is it a sign of concern?
    - what is C5 tyre size? is it expensive?
    - what do I need to check for used car around 100k km (for diesel and for petrol)?

Thanks.
    Bernard

Advertisement

Hi Bernard,

I own a 2003 C5 wagon with a 2 litre petrol engine and auto box so will attempt to answer some of your questions.

The 1st series wagon only comes with diesel or 2 litre petrol engines as far as I am aware. Mine had the timing belt changed at 40,000 ks and again at 100 when I als had the hydraulic lifters replaced as they were lazy and causing a starting problem. (about a $2000 job). The 2litre petrol engine is pretty good power wise. I find when loaded up it slow downs on hills on the highway but easy to drop it down a cog with the triptronic to keep it up to speed. The diesel is probably torquier, but I like it.

As to expensive items when servicing. I have had mine serviced at 10,000km intervals (each year for me) and the only other thing I have done that was expensive was the rear suspension bush kit as it developed a squeak which got worse. That cost about a grand. This is a fairly common problem I have been told. I am not aware of any other expensive items that need doing on a regular basis.

I recently fitted two new Michelins 205 x 65 XM2's at less than $300.

Get the car checked out by a mechanic. I can recommend Spencer Street Autos (in the city)- speak to Tony. he services my car and is reasonably priced and knows his french cars. Make sure the car has a full service history. Ask for copies of the service receipts from the owner as the log book doesn't tell you much. If it is from a dealer get them to do the timing belt if it is due.

Good luck with a purchase. They certainly are excellent value if you get a good one secondhand.

cheers Tony

Tadpole

Hi Tony,

The $2000 Job is for 2 x timing belt + hydraulic lifter? Or if $2000 is only for hydraulic lifter, how much does the timing belt cost?

Thanks.
    Bernard

Bernard. I had a 2003 2L hdi for 7 years and 130,000 Km. Lovely car. Big service at 110,000Km ($1,700 from memory). The diesel is a good strong motor. AL4 gearbox can be a bit strange but mine was OK. Make sure proper services have been carried out with the appropriate oil. I think if I was after a good C5 I would seek a series 11, face lifted model ( 2004 to 2007 I think) with a 6 speed box.
    For touring ability and load carrying ( self levelling suspension) they are a great car to own. Mine converted me to Citroen. Make sure you get one with the owners manual. Mine had standard steel wheels so tyres are nothing special. I also had a rear suspension squeak as did deesse. I bought a repair kit, a local mechanic fitted it and the cost was $500.00 or so.
    I still own a C5.

Tadpole

Tasie, Thanks.

It's good to know from first hand experience. It seems that buying the used car that has done the major servicing is better than just having low km.

I just saw this:
    2005 Citroen C5 SX HDi Sports Automatic
    2005 Citroen C5 SX HDi Sports Automatic Cars For Sale in VIC - CarPoint Australia
    Is it too good to be true? it is with 5 yr warranty.

Fellow Frogger

Bernard, there are a number of other threads on buying C5's, so search the forum and you will probably find a lot of information. The range sold here can be a bit confusing a there were two different version of the 2.0 and 2.2 HDi engines sold. That's in addition to the petrol 4 cylinder and petrol V6. Petrol 4 cylinders were either 4 speed auto (AL4) or 5 speed manual 2001 through the facelift and to 2008. The V6 petrol started with a 4 speed auto (ZF 4HP20, NOT an AL4.) and in the 2005 facelift gained a 6 speed (AM6) auto and turning headlights. The diesels are a little more complicated, but it basically ran 2.0HDi with AL4 until 2004 (RHZ in VIN), then 2.2 HDi 4 speed (4HP20) with single turbo (4HX), replaced in 2006/7 by 2.0HDi (RHR) and 2.2 twin turbo HDi (4HS), both 6 speeders. You need to know which model you are lookng at as they were not all created equal, some have their own specific issues and there are different price points.

Regarding the car you've pointed at. It's a 2.2 HDi single turbo 4 speed auto. It's the first of the facelifted models and this particular engine/gearbox combination was on offer for about 18 months until the 6 speed auto (as either 2.0 and 2.2 twin turbo) HDi models arrived in the latter part of 2006. The model you've pointed at is a very pleasant car to get on with, but this one obviously has made it to the photos before the detailing step. The gearbox is the ZF 4HP20 and not the AL4 as used in the earlier series. It has halogen headlamps and not the better discharge / directional units of ther later series cars, which are a desirable feature. This model gained a particle filter and at 170K, this one will be due for an Eolys tank refill very soon if it's not already been done, so price that. I don't think it has the full Hydractive suspension, so it may have only one sphere at each corner. I'm guessing you will not get much of a warranty at 170K???
    Last edited by David S; 23rd August 2013 at 11:58 PM.

Tadpole

Hi David,

Thanks. Wow, what you said is very informative. I didn't know that buying C5 is not as simple as comparing petrol and diesel version. I guess the best way is to test drive to find out if the car is good.

When you say not much of a warranty, did you mean, the car will only run for another few thousands km only or the dealer will not cover major repair?

With the price of less than $10k, to be able to run for 4-5 yrs would be good enough, as long as the repair does not cost a bomb.

Fellow Frogger

I'm not sure what the law is in Victoria, but in NSW, once a car is more than 10 years old or has covered 160K, the dealer is not required to give any warranty. You may have to buy one of those warrranty extension products if you want extended coverage. Some of them are not worth having, but I think you might be well advised to get a clean car from an experienced dealer that's prepared to offer a warranty of some kind so any faults with the car have a chance of being fixed without costing you a fortune. You might get lucky and buy a car for very little without any faults, but it's also possible that previous owners have saved up many thousands worth of problems for the lucky next owner.

Look at a few cars to see what you think you would like to own. It's fair to say that the later 6 speed cars all offer a more refined experience than the earlier cars, although they all share the same basic safety and comfort features. You'll find the 4 speed diesels tend to hang on to 3rd longer than expected, but that's simply a feature of the gearing and 60km/hr driving. Almost all of the 'old' C5 range now offers potentially very good value for money, but buying the wrong car can be a bad experience. The pick of the range are probably the 2.0 HDi 6 speed and V6 petrol 6 speed cars, the last often being quite overlooked.
    Last edited by David S; 24th August 2013 at 11:22 AM.

Thread Information