When topping up oils

if the light goes on when you go round corners .,just go straight .to your service center as dmcc has suggested

I regularly go up a steep drive and every time the oil warning comes on. RHH diesel. I know, it has sloshed away from the sensor on the slope. The problem is that it can take a fortnight or more of normal use afterwards before it goes out.

I think there's a couple of oil indicators, one is 'oil ok' one is 'check oil' one is just a symbol maybe I am wrong

oh an one more, the service light come on even though you already have a service and still within the period before next

The orange light that says "SERVICE" comes on for lots of faults. If it stays on, it's for something potentially serious, like a low oil warning.

Many years ago my brother in law called me to come and look at his newly acquired Z200 Kawasaki as it wouldn't start. Went round, gave it a couple of kicks and it was like stirring wet cement. Saw some fresh oil dripping out of the airbox and there was a 4L oil bottle sitting nearby. I asked if he'd put oil in it and he nodded his head and said "I just changed it". When I asked how much did he put in it, he said he just "filled it to the top of the filler hole". These bikes had a window in the engine cover to check the oil level, no dipstick
The 4L bottle was empty.😳
I drained 2.5L out and it started 2nd kick, it smoked for a while, but eventually it came good.
I showed him where it had 1400cc cast in the cover next to the filler and explained "that's what it holds".

He was an a owner/driver truckie and did all his own repairs and maintenance on his trucks and cars.
Can't know everything I guess?🤷‍♂️

happy to report to members that the half a litre penzoi; C2 0W30 certainly helped a lot - I can hear the engine sounded smoother, also I normaly put my palm in the front grill (after I park) to gauge how hot it is, and I also smell it in case there is some leak. Since putting the top up, I do not feel it is burning hot at the front grill and I smell nothing even with the nose up to close to the grill. I have not seen any dashboard light since, as an aside my pug got nushooz in Sept 22, all continentals and all corners like my first replacement of michelin. Though expensive, I think it is worth it.

just goes to show that we cant presume that any poster has ,any degree of mechanical aptitude ,its not a thing that is taught anymore ,my fathers driving lessons started with all the basics, check oil coolant, tyre pressures ,how to change a tyre ,etc ,its unfortunate that this type of education is no longer provided ,just ,if a light comes on take it to the dealer or call for roadside assist !

Many years ago my brother in law called me to come and look at his newly acquired Z200 Kawasaki as it wouldn't start. Went round, gave it a couple of kicks and it was like stirring wet cement. Saw some fresh oil dripping out of the airbox and there was a 4L oil bottle sitting nearby. I asked if he'd put oil in it and he nodded his head and said "I just changed it". When I asked how much did he put in it, he said he just "filled it to the top of the filler hole". These bikes had a window in the engine cover to check the oil level, no dipstick
The 4L bottle was empty.😳
I drained 2.5L out and it started 2nd kick, it smoked for a while, but eventually it came good.
I showed him where it had 1400cc cast in the cover next to the filler and explained "that's what it holds".

He was an a owner/driver truckie and did all his own repairs and maintenance on his trucks and cars.
Can't know everything I guess?🤷‍♂️
That would be an easy mistake to make, a lot of small engines get filled until they slop over (as the filler hole is also the level hole).

just goes to show that we cant presume that any poster has ,any degree of mechanical aptitude ,its not a thing that is taught anymore ,my fathers driving lessons started with all the basics, check oil coolant, tyre pressures ,how to change a tyre ,etc ,its unfortunate that this type of education is no longer provided ,just ,if a light comes on take it to the dealer or call for roadside assist !
I have 6 grown kids and taught them all how to drive as well as how to do all the basic mechanical checks, as well as the signs that indicate all is not well.
Two of the girls clearly didn't store this information very well.
One asked me out of of the blue to change the oil on her Subaru Leone. Put it on the ramps and proceeded to drop one cupful of oil out of the sump.😳 Looked in the boot and there were a couple of empty 5L bottles in there.
Question time.
"I've been topping it up every day for a month".
"Yes the oil light comes on, but only up hills"
Turned out the oil pressure sensor was leaking badly.

Daughter two asked me if I could put blades on her mower. It was an old house with a really old car shed. Went out to do the mower and couldn't help but notice the multitude of oil stains where she parked her Toyota Echo. Same deal, couple of empty 5L oil bottles sitting on the old wooden work bench.🤦‍♂️
She got home from the school run, question time.
"I've been topping it up every day for a couple of months".
Started it up and the oil filter was drip, drip, drip, dripping, the seal had failed.

I explained to both of them (again) that if their cars suddenly start using lots of of oil and it's not suddenly blowing lots of smoke it must be leaking out.🤷‍♂️

We'll see what the future brings I suppose.🙄

happy to report to members that the half a litre penzoi; C2 0W30 certainly helped a lot - I can hear the engine sounded smoother, also I normaly put my palm in the front grill (after I park) to gauge how hot it is, and I also smell it in case there is some leak. Since putting the top up, I do not feel it is burning hot at the front grill and I smell nothing even with the nose up to close to the grill. I have not seen any dashboard light since, as an aside my pug got nushooz in Sept 22, all continentals and all corners like my first replacement of michelin. Though expensive, I think it is worth it.

Take this car somewhere and get them to check the oil level. It is now possibly considerably over full if you have been adding oil. If you can smell coolant, you need to get your mechanic to look for leaks (the reseviour will also need continuous top ups).

adding oil to a motor will never make a difference to the way it runs, unless its empty and the oil pump is running dry.

I have 6 grown kids and taught them all how to drive as well as how to do all the basic mechanical checks, as well as the signs that indicate all is not well.
Two of the girls clearly didn't store this information very well.
One asked me out of of the blue to change the oil on her Subaru Leone. Put it on the ramps and proceeded to drop one cupful of oil out of the sump.😳 Looked in the boot and there were a couple of empty 5L bottles in there.
Question time.
"I've been topping it up every day for a month".
"Yes the oil light comes on, but only up hills"
Turned out the oil pressure sensor was leaking badly.

Daughter two asked me if I could put blades on her mower. It was an old house with a really old car shed. Went out to do the mower and couldn't help but notice the multitude of oil stains where she parked her Toyota Echo. Same deal, couple of empty 5L oil bottles sitting on the old wooden work bench.🤦‍♂️
She got home from the school run, question time.
"I've been topping it up every day for a couple of months".
Started it up and the oil filter was drip, drip, drip, dripping, the seal had failed.

I explained to both of them (again) that if their cars suddenly start using lots of of oil and it's not suddenly blowing lots of smoke it must be leaking out.🤷‍♂️

We'll see what the future brings I suppose.🙄

My daughter told me for two days running, the old 1963 ID19 ..... sounded funny, there was something wrong..... (buggered if I could hear anything). On the 3rd day it broke its crankshaft and started making very deep scary noises that I could clearly hear. I still have no idea what she was hearing, but it was obviously the crankshaft cracking through.

That would be an easy mistake to make, a lot of small engines get filled until they slop over (as the filler hole is also the level hole).
True. It was his first motorcycle as well.
However It was running well when he got it, so I'm willing to bet he didn't drop 4L of old oil out before he put 4L of new oil in?🤷‍♂️

Bloody hell, good chance the engine is in a bad way if you can notice a difference after putting in some oil.

My daughter told me for two days running, the old 1963 ID19 ..... sounded funny, there was something wrong..... (buggered if I could hear anything). On the 3rd day it broke its crankshaft and started making very deep scary noises that I could clearly hear. I still have no idea what she was hearing, but it was obviously the crankshaft cracking through.
I guess noises can creep up and the regular operator may not notice.🤷‍♂️
On three occasions now I've gotten rides in cars that I infrequently travel in; two daughter's cars and my wife's car and within 500m said "what's that f#cking noise"?
They each had a crook wheel bearing at the time, to me they sounded like a freight train, but all three of the regular driver's said "what noise".🤔