DS3 forged engine build - help

Good luck on the run in mate, what a milestone!

I'm interested to see how they go tuning/mapping it with all the integrated electronics :confused: I guess you could see if one of the rczs being wrecked on gumtree is the 266hp version of the 1.6 and grab its engine ecu ?

never seen that style of top engine mount, not much movement in that design!!, will you be installing all new heatsheilds over manifold and exhaust or standard is up to scratch. I was wondering if there was a better designed valve cover as I see you have fitted the standard ebay unit, I have been using the same aftermarket model over 3 cars and only 1 failed at 3 months of low use (replaced under warranty) so will be interesting to see how it lasts in the performance spec EP6

cant wait to hear your results...then off the the track(y)
Hi Dimi :)
The engine mount is from Vibra Technics, it's a fast road mount - should be a lot stiffer than factory but not race stiff. LOL I might be in for a bit of vibration while they settle in ha. Downpipe will be heat wrapped and factory heat shields will go back on. As for the valve cover this part was how it came from factory and I haven't retro fitted a new one. So keen for a track day. I would love to slay some golfs. :D

I'm interested to see how they go tuning/mapping it with all the integrated electronics :confused: I guess you could see if one of the rczs being wrecked on gumtree is the 266hp version of the 1.6 and grab its engine ecu ?
Hi Double Chevron,

It will be a custom tune on the factory ECU. We will be working remotely with Pug1Off and their contact who helps them tune the MED17.4.4 version. He's based in Brazil. This is truly becoming an all international hands on deck build

I would think the factory valve cover would have the Citroen badge like the Peugeots have, only aftermarket are blank so can be used as a replacement for all manufacturers. I need to google now to convince myself :rolleyes:

Oh wow. All the best. Keep us posted and don't forget to get the dyno sheet!

I would think the factory valve cover would have the Citroen badge like the Peugeots have, only aftermarket are blank so can be used as a replacement for all manufacturers. I need to google now to convince myself :rolleyes:
OK so Citroen valve covers does not have a logo :(

2022-10-12 12_11_30-Clipboard.jpg

When i first got the DS3 I thought is was weird, too. I plan to make a plate for the valve cover with the citroen racing + pug1off & Btuned logos when it's all done.

Oh wow. All the best. Keep us posted and don't forget to get the dyno sheet!
Cheers Peter, I'll be keeping you all posted every step of the way. It's good to have a place to document the build that way it can help anyone who decides to do something similar. I'll post some video content when the time comes, too.

It runs!

The DS3 is turning over, firing and running, but not idling for very long haha. We have a few niggles to solve yet before we hit the dyno. :D

There might be some interest in this blurb from PSA on the DS3 Racing. I have extracted and compressed part of the file to fit the forum

Attachments

• compressed_ds3-racing.pdf
    974.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
I have a large document with the many changes to make the Peugeot 207RCRallye. Few alterations to the engine are listed, mainly mounts, but just about everything else has been changed or strengthened. Too big to post, but ask if there is a section of interest.

Seasink,

OnlineDocTranslator helped me with reading your document. It is not perfect but heaps better than my French. It is amazing what safety margins they build into the tuning of these engines eg for fuel and towing issues that can be tuned out if you know they are not going to be needed.

Cheers, Ken

Attachments

• compressed_ds3-racing_en.zip
    920.5 KB · Views: 91
Nice one Ken, standard pistons are good for 240,000km, no wonder the engines dont last if they had a hard life!

Tuning happens this week guys. Full custom tune on the MED17.4.4 ECU. Will let you know how we go and share a link to video/pics when we are on the dyno.

grab a copy of the original coding from MED17.4.4 in case you need to revert or you need to clone the ECU in the future, If they let you get a copy of new code that would ensure if any ECU fault you could cloned if required

grab a copy of the original coding from MED17.4.4 in case you need to revert or you need to clone the ECU in the future, If they let you get a copy of new code that would ensure if any ECU fault you could cloned if required
Thanks Dimi - I'll ask him mate. :)

This build has been a marathon. In my journey trying to find a performance shop I have seen walls of EP6 engines from minis that have been decimated in performance applications over 450hp+ due to the incorrect tensioning of the torque to yield crank bolt, which resulted in timing chains being snapped. I've also seen the incorrect use of aftermarket tensioners that are not the genuine revised PSA tensioner resulting in timing slip.
Timbo, could you please expand on the incorrect tensioning of the crank bolt? i.e what are they doing wrong?
My suspicions on a failed Peugeot 207 EP6 engine were that maybe the mechanic had not cleaned the oil from the oil pump sprocket that bears against the end face of the crankshaft. The valve timing was uniformly advanced on both the inlet and exhaust camshafts, making me think the crankshaft sprocket has slipped? The exhaust valve seat at the gearbox end had partially dropped.
Likewise with the incorrect use of aftermarket tensioners?