Bulbs and globes for lights

Whippet

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hi.

The fog / cornering light on the Peugeot 2008 has blown on the LHS.

According to the owner’s manual they are PSX-24W.

Just tried to remove the globe by lying on the floor and reaching up from behind the bumper/valance. There are two tabs on the holder, but the globe is tight in the reflector. I suspect the O ring is the cause. I will sort this out later.

Anyway was looking up some replacement options online.

The cost for the incandescent globe are around AU$40 each - I am intending to use this globe, not an LED.
If I used LED the cost is AU$140 for a two pack. This is much to high a cost for me to pay.

I have noticed that the vendors for globes are really pushing the prices up and also offering exotic upgrade options for what I consider very high pricing.

Someone posted on this forum about an online supplier that they sourced their bulbs from. Can you please repost this.

Thanks in advance

Cheers.

1655165587201.png
1655165666362.png

My favorite thing ... fog lights. Can you just remove them? Give them to a 4wd owner so they can mount them up at my eye height on top of there bull bar and switch them on permanently. I would just disable the warning and remove the lights/globes? That would be preference for fog lights every single time :dance: I reckon the fog light indicator on the dash should be a high intensity LED focused at the drivers eyes, so they can enjoy how pretty the lights on the front of there car are :clown:

If you can get them out, maybe a smear of dielectric grease on the "O"rings will make them easier to remove next time? I've found big rubber gasket seals on globe holders can be very hard to remove too where access is restricted. I've used pointy nosed vice grips to grab them before (if you can fit them in). You just need to be careful not to crush the housing. The modern "O"ring/sealed lights sure are a million times better than how crusty and rotten it gets on our old cars where they aren't sealed.

Not sure if the law has changed, but not too long ago it was illegal to retrofit LED bulbs into a light/reflector designed for halogen ones anyway.

It's to do with the way the light is dispersed.
I'm sure many of us at some stage have been driving along minding our own business and suddenly have a "Close Encounters" moment and think we are about to be abducted by aliens. Next minute a jacked up 4x4 overtakes and THEN puts it on high beam.🤦‍♂️

Like many automotive accessories on the market, it's not illegal to sell them, just to use them.🤷‍♂️

My favorite thing ... fog lights. Can you just remove them? Give them to a 4wd owner so they can mount them up at my eye height on top of there bull bar and switch them on permanently. I would just disable the warning and remove the lights/globes? That would be preference for fog lights every single time :dance: I reckon the fog light indicator on the dash should be a high intensity LED focused at the drivers eyes, so they can enjoy how pretty the lights on the front of there car are :clown:

If you can get them out, maybe a smear of dielectric grease on the "O"rings will make them easier to remove next time? I've found big rubber gasket seals on globe holders can be very hard to remove too where access is restricted. I've used pointy nosed vice grips to grab them before (if you can fit them in). You just need to be careful not to crush the housing. The modern "O"ring/sealed lights sure are a million times better than how crusty and rotten it gets on our old cars where they aren't sealed.
We agree on the use of fog lights.... Does the 2008 have DRLs already? If not, put a bright white led in the foglight housing and rewire it as a DRL - on with the engine on, and off again when the headlights are on.

Not sure if the law has changed, but not too long ago it was illegal to retrofit LED bulbs into a light/reflector designed for halogen ones anyway.

It's to do with the way the light is dispersed.
It is indeed illegal, and bloody annoying. But - converting otherwise useless fogs to DRL use the crappy focus of an LED in a reflector housing is probably helpful.

Do they come with the entire housing? That's just nuts. What ever happened to buying a simple $2.00 glass globe ? I just about fell over when I went into the local autoparts store for amber coloured indicator globes. I pulled some gold coins out to pay, and he said "that'll be $15.00 mate" ..... "Oh, no I just have the globes" ...... "Yeah, that'll be $15.00 thanks" :eek: For a simple bloody globe with a spot of orange dye on it.

Do they come with the entire housing? That's just nuts. What ever happened to buying a simple $2.00 glass globe ? I just about fell over when I went into the local autoparts store for amber coloured indicator globes. I pulled some gold coins out to pay, and he said "that'll be $15.00 mate" ..... "Oh, no I just have the globes" ...... "Yeah, that'll be $15.00 thanks" :eek: For a simple bloody globe with a spot of orange dye on it.
I paid $11 recently in QLD for a pair. I thought
"what a f#cking rip".
Now I don't feel so bad.😉

Hi.

I just want to replace the blown incandescent globe. I don’t want to convert to LED or other.

I have mentioned previously that I am no fan of China. So won’t be purchasing from aliexpress.

I am agreeable to purchase from an Australian supplier but want to pay a reasonable price. I consider $40 for an I embellished “standard” globe is much more than I want to pay.

Cheers.

We agree on the use of fog lights.... Does the 2008 have DRLs already? If not, put a bright white led in the foglight housing and rewire it as a DRL - on with the engine on, and off again when the headlights are on.

I used to think these were a good idea. I keep finding "dark" cars with no lights on. You flash your high beam into there mirrors in a desperate attempt to let them know they are pretty much invisible. They are absolutely blind/stupid to your attempts to let them know they are almost invisible. I've now found if you pass them, they actually have those stupid led daytime running lights on ..... So they are driving along with no lighting at the rear of the car, and bright LED running lights blazing.... The problem is these lights are quite bright, but they don't throw a beam into the distance. It just highlights to me that people drive along gazing only 2meters infront of there front bumper rather than scoping all around and into the distance.

Why do these lights leave the rear lights off ? .... leaving the car invisible from behind ?

I used to think these were a good idea. I keep finding "dark" cars with no lights on. You flash your high beam into there mirrors in a desperate attempt to let them know they are pretty much invisible. They are absolutely blind/stupid to your attempts to let them know they are almost invisible. I've now found if you pass them, they actually have those stupid led daytime running lights on ..... So they are driving along with no lighting at the rear of the car, and bright LED running lights blazing.... The problem is these lights are quite bright, but they don't throw a beam into the distance. It just highlights to me that people drive along gazing only 2meters infront of there front bumper rather than scoping all around and into the distance.

Why do these lights leave the rear lights off ? .... leaving the car invisible from behind ?
My old 70s Volvo had DRLs and it included the rears.🤷‍♂️

Hi.

I just want to replace the blown incandescent globe. I don’t want to convert to LED or other.

I have mentioned previously that I am no fan of China. So won’t be purchasing from aliexpress.

I am agreeable to purchase from an Australian supplier but want to pay a reasonable price. I consider $40 for an I embellished “standard” globe is much more than I want to pay.

Cheers.

I'm pretty sure its the local distributors that mark the prices up .... causing them to be expensive everywhere :(

If you sort ebay buy australia only and cheapest. Is this H16 glove right ?

My next step if I can't find anything reasonable locally, is to check ebay in UK and germany (germany seams to have cheap postage, but I can't speak the lingo).

Its the scenario of pulling out of an intersection and not seeing the car bearing down on your door's side intrusion beams... I think theyre a good idea, and the best use of the bright sharp white led light, its very effective in bright sunlight.

The Giulietta has fog lights and factory DRLs, I have never used the fog lights obviously. The Megane I used a neat voltage sensitive relay that switches the fog lights (with LED globes in them) on and off automatically with the engine, with a second relay wired to the side light circuit to kill them when the main lights are on.

Idiots not knowing how to turn their lights on is a seperate and ongoing issue... Although having driven cars with auto lights for so long I suspect I might forget if driving in well lit areas (id like to think not though...).

Hi.

Cheers.
whatever you buy will probably be made in china anyway...

Id say if you actually are wanting fog lights for fog (youre obviously not using them at night in normal conditions right?) that led i linked in the yellow option would be good - yellow is best for cutting through/under fog with minimal scattering of light on the water droplets.

Its the scenario of pulling out of an intersection and not seeing the car bearing down on your door's side intrusion beams... I think theyre a good idea, and the best use of the bright sharp white led light, its very effective in bright sunlight.

The Giulietta has fog lights and factory DRLs, I have never used the fog lights obviously. The Megane I used a neat voltage sensitive relay that switches the fog lights (with LED globes in them) on and off automatically with the engine, with a second relay wired to the side light circuit to kill them when the main lights are on.

Idiots not knowing how to turn their lights on is a seperate and ongoing issue... Although having driven cars with auto lights for so long I suspect I might forget if driving in well lit areas (id like to think not though...).

Does it help? I find people can't see a huge bright blue shitbox bearing down on them .... Its so bright it almost glows in the dark and would have to be 6 foot high ... Infact someone even run up the arse of it a couple of weeks back. I swear, everyone must be driving in a daze gazing at there phones. If I'd been in my daughters C2, it would have been written off. Given I was driving the big glowing beacon named "the shitbox" .... the alloy bullbar on the falcon that run up my arse was just hammered back touching there radiator, and the shitbox with its big RHS rear bar with built in 4ton towbar was un-damaged. I can't decide if that is lucky ... or not. Cars should crush to protect there occupants.

Hi.

Daytime Running Lights (DRL), yes it does. It has a narrow strip of LED's above the headlight enclosure.

I don't want to faff around changing wiring etc. Just want to replace the standard bulb with a standard bulb.

On childminding activities at the moment will have to spend some time locating a reasonable priced supplier later.

Cheers.

If you sort ebay buy australia only and cheapest. Is this H16 glove right ?
Hi. No it is not. It seems to have the correct base, but the loom and plug enter the globe from behind, not at 90 degrees like the P16 does.

Ebay stuff can be counterfeit.

And shipping prices from Germany are anything but cheap. Check listing carefully to see if the price displayed is not some generic number or it if does cover Australia. I usually check with vendors and it's always a different number.

As for replacing original bulbs, why not try a wrecker? They would be cheap enough, I think? Get a few spares in the process.