2021 Renault Arkana Launched in Australia

iLaguna

Fellow Frogger
https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/2022-renault-arkana-price-and-specs

After the release of the all new Renault Captur SUV earlier on this year, Ateco have now released it's second major launch, with the release of the all new Renault Arkana SUV-Coupe, effectively replacing the Euro sourced Renault Kadjar SUV in Australia.

The new Arkana is built by Renault Samsung Motors in South Korea, where it's sold as the Renault Samsung XM3 and is built at the same Busan plant as the Renault Koleos SUV and Renault Tailsman large sedan and wagon.

Renault has a strategy of supplying Australia from Korean factories. Stellantis doesn't have that option unless they source from China. Performance is mostly judged by comparing to others in its class, but sub 10 seconds to 100k isn't slow. A time like that to 50 mph was beyond most of the cars Kim and I once worked on..

Why are they calling this a SUV?
It's not 4WD and it looks more like a hatchback, not SUV.

It looks nice and all on paper but I can't get past the fact that it's just a 1300cc, i.e. same size motor as the smaller Captur.
The 1300cc is turbocharged but still looks underpowered.
Okay, it might compare favourably in power/torque with other cars in the same class but that doesn't mean the others are also underpowered.
The Arkana weighs about the same as the last Mitsubishi Magna it had, and that had a 3 litre V6 and probably another 30 - 40kw (and a thirst).
Performance was adequate but not sporty.

And just to confuse everybody, the base model is going to be called the Zen which is the mid-model in the Captur / Koleos and the mid-range is going to be called the Intens which is the top-range in the Koleos and Captur.
Pricing appears to be the same as the Koleos with the base model $33990 and the Captur isn't much different either ($31781).

I've got a Koleos at the moment but I think it's too big for my needs but the Captur is too small.
I think the Arkana would be the right size for me.

Renault have 3 cars all around the same price but different sizes, which would you buy?
I hope the Arkana is successful, there is a big need for something to fill the gap between the Captur and Koleos.

I have jeans that are either too tight, or too loose and fall down.
I hope this gap filler stays up for Renault.. er ..antico...

It looks nice and all on paper but I can't get past the fact that it's just a 1300cc, i.e. same size motor as the smaller Captur.
Okay, it might compare favourably in power/torque with other cars in the same class but that doesn't mean the others are also underpowered.
The Arkana weighs about the same as the last Mitsubishi Magna it had, and that had a 3 litre V6 and probably another 30 - 40kw (and a thirst).

And just to confuse everybody, the base model is going to be called the Zen which is the mid-model in the Captur / Koleos and the mid-range is going to be called the Intens which is the top-range in the Koleos and Captur.
Pricing appears to be the same as the Koleos with the base model $33990 and the Captur isn't much different either ($31781).

I've got a Koleos at the moment but I think it's too big for my needs but the Captur is too small.

Renault have 3 cars all around the same price but different sizes, which would you buy?
I hope the Arkana is successful, there is a big need for something to fill the gap between the Captur and Koleos.
Must go and have a look. But if it is built on the same platform as the Captur (which is a bit small for us) I doubt it will be much larger inside, especially given the cleverness of the French interior designs. I'll go and see whether our local camouflaged Renault dealer actually has one in their Suzuki-badged showroom....

Renault only have one car available in Australia - the RSM...

Compared with a Renault 16 TS: 13.6 seconds. Somehow people stuck in the past never move on.......;)

I was lucky enough to drive an Arkana for a couple of days last week, so I'll provide my perspective from that.
Performance - Performance is entirely adequate. 9.1 sec. 0 - 100kph is NOT slow. I could happily live with the performance of a 16TS. In fact, I'm content with the slightly enhanced but entirely adequate performance of my R1090 Dauphine, so an Arkana provides supercar performance relative to that. The engine and transmission are well matched and are smooth performers except when trying for the last 10% of performance, when things lose their composure a bit, but that's nothing unusual. I'm not concerned about the engine being only 1332cc - after all, my RS Megane is only 1.8 litre and F1 cars are only 1.6 litre!
Handling - I didn't push it very hard, but it felt good with reasonable levels of grip and no nasty habits. Obviously it's a bit higher than 'normal' cars which must affect ultimate performance, but that applies to all SUVs! The higher clearance brings benefits on bad roads.
Packaging & Comfort - Front seats are comfortable, controls are typical Renault and there's adequate rear head and leg room. Boot volume is good and the false floor useful. It also has all of the usual modern electronic aids and tricks, most of which I don't need.
Economy - I managed 'mid sixes', which is about the same as a Kadjar or Captur and better than many others. A practical range from the 50 litre tank is about 700km, so economy and range shouldn't be an issue.
Build Quality and Materials - It seems to be well built from good quality materials.
Overall - It reminds me most of a Scenic. It's not a RS, but it's not a truck either. I'm giving it the 'thumbs up'!

Last edited:
It looks utterly ridiculous... Like the apprentice at the tyre shop put landcruiser wheels on a Megane by mistake.

It looks utterly ridiculous... Like the apprentice at the tyre shop put landcruiser wheels on a Megane by mistake.
That applies to all vehicles of this 'genre'. In any case, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder!

People used to tell me my R16 was "ugly". I had to explain to them that it looked fine from the inside, where I sat, and that I really couldn't give a rodent's rectum what they thought! Similar feelings may be evoked in new Arkana owners! ;)

Must go and have a look. But if it is built on the same platform as the Captur (which is a bit small for us) I doubt it will be much larger inside, especially given the cleverness of the French interior designs. I'll go and see whether our local camouflaged Renault dealer actually has one in their Suzuki-badged showroom....

It is 341mm longer than the related Captur, on an 81mm longer wheelbase.