Shed lighting

1972Ren

The Comeback Kid
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I have had some good results with LED lighting and remote control switches recently.
I have a big shed which had these old style industrial lights up in the roof.
They sure provided good light, and I suppose were once the go-to item, but... they expend 1500w; take a minute to full brightness; if you turn them off, you can't turn them back on for several minutes. Plus there 6 of them on one circuit so all on or all off, and 6 of them cost quite a bit to run!

As they were all plugged into GPOs on the rafters, I installed HPM remote controlled switches, at great effort, all of which were fritzed permanently when I turned the lights on :(.

I have now installed LED flood lights as per the photo. I am very pleased with them. the 3 wings are moveable, and the fittings have fairly good spread. They provide similar light to the old fittings, with 1/20th of the power consumption.

I have also used the remote control power points as shown. They plug into a GPO and have a socket on the front. Oddly, while the remote control if 4 channel, they come in a pack of 1x remote and 3x adapters. Any particular adapter can be linked to one or more of each 4 channels, so you can set them up in groups. Then simply cleared and reassigned. They are scaleable so any number of these adapters can be used with one remote, or multiple remotes can control any adapter. For $40 a pack I reckon they are great value, and they work really well.

Just thought I would share this in case it assists anyone with lighting their own spaces.
IMG_20200611_134849 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20200611_134913 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20200611_134948 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20200611_140607 - Copy.jpg

Are they replacement globes for the mercury vapour lights? Or new light fixtures :confused: I have been very impressed with the LED lighting I've seen lately (5 years ago it was terrible, you couldn't see anything under it, even though it was really bright!).

seeya,
Shane L.

I put 6 x double row LED fluro replacements in my shed. They are fantastic and cheap to run. As Shane said, LED technology has come a long way.

Shane, I took the old mercury vapour lights down, and made new fittings out of 40cm stainless steel kitchen bowls, purchases in the local Chinese variety store for $8 each! I agree about now vs 5 years ago. I gave LED floodlights a go about that time and was disappointed, but boy have they improved recently.

We have just had some new "High Bay" LED lighting put in at work. I'm still seeing spots. $300.00 each fitting and no need for reflectors or bowls anymore. Similar Item -
1592010180897.png

Shane, I took the old mercury vapour lights down, and made new fittings out of 40cm stainless steel kitchen bowls, purchases in the local Chinese variety store for $8 each! I agree about now vs 5 years ago. I gave LED floodlights a go about that time and was disappointed, but boy have they improved recently.

I would be interested to know what they are like to work under :) ... Where abouts did you buy the new globes?

Did the stainless steel bowls make a difference? LED's only throw light one direction, so there would be no light to reflect back with the dish.

seeya,
Shane L.

I bought them on Banggood.com. This is the link. They are 'awaiting restocking' but I am sure a similar item is available.

As for working under them, they are very white which some may not like. But the LED floodlights I tried a few years back were VERY cold indeed; these are a great improvement - more like how LED headlights are very white. The mercury whatsie globes were perhaps slightly softer. That said, I think part of that is simply that the old globes have a diffusing coating inside the globe, whereas the LED flootlights have no diffuser. I am thinking of attaching a piece of opaque acrylic sheet underneath the lights, for that purpose. That would be just for the sake of fiddling, however; personally, I am quite happy with them as they are.

I put them in the ss bowls for aesthetics only - a bare light bulb hanging from a cord is a bit spartan, even for a shed! As you say, there is no light to reflect. One good feature of these lights is that, as I noted in passing before, the 3 'wings' can be individually adjusted to shine anywhere from directly down, to horizontally, so the units have a great deal of flexibility as to where the light is heading.

G'day,

I installed a couple of these in the shed....
about 12 months ago. Great stuff, they come on whilst moving about, great when you come through the door with armfuls and zilch to run.... :)

The local possum also turns em on.... :)

cheers,
Bob

G'day,

I installed a couple of these in the shed....
about 12 months ago. Great stuff, they come on whilst moving about, great when you come through the door with armfuls and zilch to run.... :)

The local possum also turns em on.... :)

cheers,
Bob

This is One of the downsides of motion activated lighting. In the old days two 150 w par floods could run up quite an electricity bill.

LED lighting doesn't cost as much, however I have a dislike of paying extra to achieve little. ;)

My lights are controlled by humble, old fashioned switch mechs.

This is One of the downsides of motion activated lighting. In the old days two 150 w par floods could run up quite an electricity bill.

LED lighting doesn't cost as much, however I have a dislike of paying extra to achieve little. ;)

My lights are controlled by humble, old fashioned switch mechs.

If you have a look at his link, they are solar LEDs (so plenty good enough to walk around the shed, but probably no good for working under). I have heaps of old fluoro battons in my shed. I just wired in a sensor so two of them switch on if anyone walks into the shed (saves falling over stuff "someone" always leaves laying around while searching for switches). There is probably very little ambient light in skipton (much like where I live) so you NEED something that'll turn on ... or you'll need to carry a torch.

the lights in the shed never false trigger here, because if you close the shed doors, there is nothing that can trip them. Under the leanto I have put a sensor too, it turns on a couple of standard LED light globes and a small floodlight to light up the area between the house and shed. I mounted it looking back into the leanto. so if you drive into it after dark, the lights turn on so you can see to the house door and find the door key. It almost never trips unless someone is out there (eg: a cat running through the leanto). I've found with sensors, just don't point them "outside" as that is where wind/wildlife/anything will trip them.

seeya,
Shane L.

I've got a similar system. It's deactivated during daylight hours and at night activated by a "break" on point to point IR beams.

This is one advantage of a new house. You can plan for the convenience features and install the wiring while the house is being built.

Only problem with that, is that it denies you the opportunity for frivolous fiddling with gadgets as you become aware of them, leading to a significant diminution of life enjoyment.

Regarding the remote control adapters I mentioned above, I also note there is a range of plug in and wire in adapters available at Bunnings and elsewhere using the "GridConnect" phone app. I haven't used any yet, but they sound like a great idea. Particularly, the app works just by using a connection from your phone, to the adapters, via the home wifi, without having to send messages off to Amazon or Google home automation computers somewhere else in the world. I may be misunderstanding it, but my impression is that home automation using their software/apps necessarily requires an internet connection, and does not operate just within the home.

Only problem with that, is that it denies you the opportunity for frivolous fiddling with gadgets as you become aware of them, leading to a significant diminution of life enjoyment.

Regarding the remote control adapters I mentioned above, I also note there is a range of plug in and wire in adapters available at Bunnings and elsewhere using the "GridConnect" phone app. I haven't used any yet, but they sound like a great idea. Particularly, the app works just by using a connection from your phone, to the adapters, via the home wifi, without having to send messages off to Amazon or Google home automation computers somewhere else in the world. I may be misunderstanding it, but my impression is that home automation using their software/apps necessarily requires an internet connection, and does not operate just within the home.

I've been living in the house for 6 years and haven't found any technical limitation yet. All devices are connected to to an Inner Range Concept 4000 alarm/ access / home automation controller and to date all functionality has been achieved by programming.

I've intentionally avoided connecting the controller to the internet (although it'd capable of being connected).

No apps are required: just custom programming.

The controller also manages alarm and access control capabilities. It's now 8 years old odd and has been superseded by the Integriti and inception product ranges.

The concept 4000 is an "old friend' for me. We were power users of the product when I was in business and still have many friends and colleagues working at Inner Range.

Last edited:
Without knowing anything about your background, I can only assume you have quite a technical one. That is certainly a serious looking system you have happening there. One question, however: if it doesn't use phone apps, can you, for example, switch lights on and off without getting your ass off the couch?

Do you reckon my mercury vapor industrial light fittings are worth anything? I can see some millionaire fashionsita with a warehouse apartment conversion in Fitzroy, or similar, liking them. And they could afford to have 6x 1500w light fittings warming the planet...

Last edited:
Without knowing anything about your background, I can only assume you have quite a technical one. That is certainly a serious looking system you have happening there. One question, however: if it doesn't use phone apps, can you, for example, switch lights on and off without getting your ass off the couch?

Do you reckon my mercury vapor industrial light fittings are worth anything? I can see some millionaire fashionsita with a warehouse apartment conversion in Fitzroy, or similar, liking them. And they could afford to have 6x 1500w light fittings warming the planet...

I predate the mobile phone and texting "obsession". Most automation functions occur autonomously.

I have no need nor desire to turn on driveway nor workshop lighting whilst sitting on the sofa. :confused:

Reactions: bob
I predate the mobile phone and texting "obsession". Most automation functions occur autonomously.

I have no need nor desire to turn on driveway nor workshop lighting whilst sitting on the sofa. :confused:
I thought I was the only one LOL .... Don't you hear the adverts on tv .... You could have your curtains open and close from your phone! (wow.... why the hell would we want that ... or a "smart fridge" ... have you ever heard of anything more useless?). About the only one I can understand is heating. If your out and your heading home, you can turn the heating on 45minutes before you arrive so the place is warm ( if you have gas heating you don't need this. But if you heat with heat pumps you will).

As long as your environment works for you, then that is good.
But there are advantages to remote control switches. They obviate the need for running all that additional wiring, to the switches. They are also very handy if you have, as I do, 6 lights in the shed which I would like to switch individually. That saves a a lot of wiring complications, and makes the lighting more flexible. That could apply inside the home as well.

Do either of you, perchance, have a remote controlled garage door operated from the car? Or a remote controlled tv which you operate from the couch?

As long as your environment works for you, then that is good.
But there are advantages to remote control switches. They obviate the need for running all that additional wiring, to the switches. They are also very handy if you have, as I do, 6 lights in the shed which I would like to switch individually. That saves a a lot of wiring complications, and makes the lighting more flexible. That could apply inside the home as well.

Do either of you, perchance, have a remote controlled garage door operated from the car? Or a remote controlled tv which you operate from the couch?

Wiring is not an issue. The C4k has a multi drop LAN. The lan cable has modules many modules in order to connect the the required inputs/ outputs. Shielded 2 pair lan cable is cheap as chips, around 40cents per meter.

The garage sectional door is controlled by a wireless remote , used from outside our gate. via a rf module on the lan as well a proximity card reader via a door module also on the C4K Lan.

Therein lies the flexibility and versatility of the Concept 4000.
EDIT
FWIW I have a Control terminal on a flexible cable in the master bedroom. This allows messages to be read and devices turned on and off in the evenings.

Last edited:
The remote control for shed lighting makes a huge amount of sense. As you can selectively switch on the lights (though I guess you don't mind so much now that your drawing 60watts rather than 1500 :) ).

The remote control for shed lighting makes a huge amount of sense. As you can selectively switch on the lights (though I guess you don't mind so much now that your drawing 60watts rather than 1500 :) ).

Presumably I'm in the the shed when I need the lightning turned on.

Personally, I find it's not too much effort to press one or more push button switches.

All my shed lighting is LED. So energy use is not too much of an issue.