Shed lighting

Wiring is not an issue. The C4k has a multi drop LAN. The lan cable has modules many modules in order to connect the the required inputs/ outputs. Shielded 2 pair lan cable is cheap as chips, around 40cents per meter.

I dont doubt that the Concept 4000 is sophisticated, but when you walk into a room, how do you switch the lights on?
I wasn't thinking of the cost per metre of cable; rather than wiring in switches for all the lights adds to complexity. Maybe not much if you are building from scratch, but definitely if anything is added a later date. In my circumstance, either running switch cable for 6 bays of lights back to one spot, or having to walk around the shed turning on 6 switches, would be a PITA. Plus, the remote controls allow lights to be joined in arbitrary groups, which is neat. No doubt the Concept 4k can do that, but of course then you are using a remote control to turn the lights on...

Yes, switching to LEDs rather than burning 10kw does reduce the need for individual switching!
Mind you, 1500w for ONE light fitting is quite a bit, given the lights could be on for hours at a time.

I dont doubt that the Concept 4000 is sophisticated, but when you walk into a room, how do you switch the lights on?
I wasn't thinking of the cost per metre of cable; rather than wiring in switches for all the lights adds to complexity. Maybe not much if you are building from scratch, but definitely if anything is added a later date. In my circumstance, either running switch cable for 6 bays of lights back to one spot, or having to walk around the shed turning on 6 switches, would be a PITA. Plus, the remote controls allow lights to be joined in arbitrary groups, which is neat. No doubt the Concept 4k can do that, but of course then you are using a remote control to turn the lights on...

Yes, switching to LEDs rather than burning 10kw does reduce the need for individual switching!
Mind you, 1500w for ONE light fitting is quite a bit, given the lights could be on for hours at a time.

but when you walk into a room, how do you switch the lights on?

In a room like the toilet, ensuite, kitchen or pantry with a push button switch. Another turns them off.

In the halls, dependent on time of day, if dark outside when the PIR sensor in the hall is triggered with the lights automatically turning off after a time delay.

I think there is confusion between the number of lights circuits and the method of remote control.

It's also possible to have manual control as well as automatic, conditional control.

Presumably I'm in the the shed when I need the lightning turned on.

Personally, I find it's not too much effort to press one or more push button switches.

All my shed lighting is LED. So energy use is not too much of an issue.
Yes of course. But this isn't the scenario being talking about here :) Ando (the starter of this thread) has quite a few 1500watt mercury vapour lights on the same switch circuit in his shed... so switching one on ..... switches them all on. The remote wouldn't work from anywhere other than the shed, its just so he can individually switch the lights on a common circuit on/off without re-wiring the shed.

It makes sense to me, and now when it all dies (as cheap chinese stuff loves to do) he only has 60watt lights to worry about rather than 1500 :eek:

seeya,
Shane L.

Yes of course. But this isn't the scenario being talking about here :) Ando (the starter of this thread) has quite a few 1500watt mercury vapour lights on the same switch circuit in his shed... so switching one on ..... switches them all on. The remote wouldn't work from anywhere other than the shed, its just so he can individually switch the lights on a common circuit on/off without re-wiring the shed.

It makes sense to me, and now when it all dies (as cheap chinese stuff loves to do) he only has 60watt lights to worry about rather than 1500 :eek:

seeya,
Shane L.
To be honest, I'm a little lost as to what "ando" is talking about. He seems to think a RF remote system is better alternative to a few switches. Based on my experience, I prefer the KISS approach, which dictates humble , simple switches are the most reliable option.

To be honest, I'm a little lost as to what "ando" is talking about. He seems to think a RF remote system is better alternative to a few switches. Based on my experience, I prefer the KISS approach, which dictates humble , simple switches are the most reliable option.

No-one denies that. However that would take an electrician re-wiring the shed to achieve :) Not something someone can do themselves ( :whistle: )

And the Concept 4000 industrial grade automation!

That is the case of choosing a product which suitable for purpose. ie access control, security alarm and home automation controller, in a single package. My familiarly with the product also made it an obvious choice

After 20 years odd using Inner Range Concept products Reliability was a foregone conclusion.

Unlike your lamp controller, the first iteration of which was "cooked" by Mercury vapor lamps. :ROFLMAO:

No-one denies that. However that would take an electrician re-wiring the shed to achieve :) Not something someone can do themselves ( :whistle: )
Very true "Ando" , nevertheless a requirement that has been introduced into the discussion at a very late stage. :eek:

That is the case of choosing a product which suitable for purpose. ie access control, security alarm and home automation controller, in a single package. My familiarly with the product also made it an obvious choice

I am sure it is brilliant, and your technical expertise made it an obvious choice. It just isn't exactly "KISS and a few humble switches".
I get the impression from what you said earlier, that the wall switches and the modules are all on a data lan. So does it operate like CANBUS does in a car? If so, does that mean that any particular switch can be assigned to switch any module on that lan? Or is a switch on the wall hard wired to, say, particular lights etc?

I think Rob said cat 5E ... its just going to talk over a standard LAN (like your printer does if plugged into a LAN). You would need interaces. Sounds interesting, but running lan cable .... you might as well just run new power wiring and add a few switches near the door :) (for starters the switching is going to require a sparky to interface the LAN modules to the 240volt system).

You might be right, but that looks like very sophisticated software, so I'm not clear whether the lan cables are just a cheap way of connecting a switch to some device, or are sending digital messages to turn the device off and on.

Irrespective of whether that system does it, it would be really great idea if all the switches in the house, wherever mounted, could be assigned to turn off any chosen collection of powered devices, be they lights, curtains or your garage door. And without this malarky of having to send messages back to effing Amazon Alexa.

Last edited:
You might be right, but that looks like very sophisticated software, so I'm not clear whether the lan cables are just a cheap way of connecting a switch to some device, or are sending digital messages to turn the device off and on.

Irrespective of whether that system does it, it would be really great idea if all the switches in the house, wherever mounted, could be assigned to turn off any chosen collection of powered devices, be they lights, curtains or your garage door.

A quick google check will find out. If Rob uses it though, its going to be some serious commercial grade software and hardware that will link to security systems ... I don't want to look myself, as if its interesting, then I'll want to play with it too :unsure:

A quick google check will find out. If Rob uses it though, its going to be some serious commercial grade software and hardware that will link to security systems ... I don't want to look myself, as if its interesting, then I'll want to play with it too :unsure:

Shane, there is no software external to the controller. The whole system works by custom programming of the Concept firmware . The c4k has a multitude of inbuilt logic, timer and other functions inbuilt. All that is needed to use them is familiarity with the product.

Inputs and outputs , access control and alarm zones can all be expanded almost endlessly by the addition of LAN connected modules.

For the record, Concepts use a 4 wire shielded non twisted lan cable. I use a Belden product.

The only "external software" I use is hyper terminal (on a PC) via a serial link to access the inbuilt "review memory", mainly for debugging purposes. Reading on a PC screen is far easier than on a 2 line LCD display.

Can the modules communicate with radio, or do they require a LAN cable connection?

Can the modules communicate with radio, or do they require a LAN cable connection?

All modules are on a wired LAN. Wireless isn't capable of providing the required data rate nor communication reliability.The lan most commonly run in a 4wire shielded non twisted pair can be interfaced to Fibre optic, tcpip ethernet, and a few others that I can't recall. A host of LAN products, for the wired LAN are available. From "repeaters" to "isolation devices

Wireless devicessuch as (key fobs, wireless PIR sensors, hold up fobs etc tec are best connected to the system via a lan connected "rf module" (essentially a multi channel receiver plus a bit))

Of course any wireless device can be connected via a compatible receiver in turn connected to a Concept Input.
However, it is not very elegant nor cost effective to have multiple receivers lined up in row. When, subject to compatibly a single LAN connected RF module can often perform the same task.

EDIT: I must state a caveat. I'm working from memory. I have not kept up the latest product line since I retired. So it is possible new LAN modules and additional receiver integration products have been developed in the last 7 years.

Inner range now consider the Concept 4000 "a sunset product".

If I was in business today I would probably be using their current products. IE Enlighten and Integriti . Which are even more powerful than the C4K and, as I understand allow programming via a Scripting. language.

However, I'm still in "old world " of C4k and the product is still very suitable for my application (and within my current product knowledge)

At 68 years old I have neither the need nor motivation to master another product.:cautious:

Last edited:
Or smartphone apps, I gather.
Anyway, thanks for the info.

Or smartphone apps, I gather.
Anyway, thanks for the info.

Integriti is a product primarily programmed via the LCD terminal or serial link with custom software of a pc. It a high end product.

Inception has onboard programming software inbuilt and expects to connected to the internet and programmed via a browser. As I understand It's a less powerful product designed for the "less professional" market and is priced to suit that market.

Some, earlier version IR products allowed programming via SMS and mobile phone. Mainly communications products.
This is not an area into which I've delved. My main applications are/ have been access control and intrusion detection.

Programming a complex, powerful product soon becomes unbelievably tedious via SMS . A PC with custom programming software is most installers choice for programming more complex systems.

Last edited:
The local possum also turns em on.... :)

cheers,
Bob
That would be no good here in suburbia, place is lousy with possums of all sizes, plus a few wandering cats and foxes. Then there are the owls that sometimes try to pick up a possum in a flyby, all caught on CCTV alerts, ;) I'd be had up for flashing (lights that is), favourite is limpy fox, then young lopey fox, all different characteristics... flashing LED lamps would attract the moths too.... great fun.

Ken

That would be no good here in suburbia, place is lousy with possums of all sizes, plus a few wandering cats and foxes. Then there are the owls that sometimes try to pick up a possum in a flyby, all caught on CCTV alerts, ;) I'd be had up for flashing (lights that is), favourite is limpy fox, then young lopey fox, all different characteristics... flashing LED lamps would attract the moths too.... great fun.

Ken

The next solution, which will probably not very popular is nevertheless effective. My ex boss had a few possums that resided in his garage. All was well until his 6 year child disturbed them and was attacked, As a result he needed a few stitches to patch up his wounds.

Rod , being man of action decided enough was enough. The next evening , equipped with heavy duty pitch fork, he resolved the problem for once and all.